Popular Mechanics Top 100 Skills Every Man Should Know

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
100 Skills Every Man Should Know: 2008's Ultimate DIY List

Brains and charm are fine, but a real guy needs to know how to do real stuff. After months of debate among PM’s expert editors, here’s our lineup of essential skills, broken down in 10 categories for the competent man—plus 20 tools you need to own. Did we leave anything out—or included a skill you don’t think is worthy? Sound off in our chat, then take PM’s interactive DIY quiz to see how you measure up!
By The Editors
Published on: September 8, 2008
http://www.popularmechanics.com/hom...yn&mag=pop&dom=yah_shop&con=art&link=rel&ha=1
tool-fist-470-1008.jpg

COVER STORY: 100 SKILLS EVERY MAN SHOULD KNOW

• THE INSTRUCTIONS: 100 Skills Every Man Should Know Now in Full!

• THE QUIZ: 15 Questions Test Your DIY Knowledge for a Special PM Score

• THE RESULTS: How Did Your Skills Match Up Against Our Celebs?

• THE VIDEOS: 8 Essential Skills From PM’s Manual on PopMechTV
Interesting...
Here is a sample of the list... only the top 3 of each category so not to put out the full list of each.
I colorized the ones that I know just for fun. :D
Automotive:
Handle a blowout
2. Drive in snow
3. Check trouble codes
Handling Emergencies
10. Perform the Heimlich
11. Reverse hypothermia
12. Perform hands-only CPR
Home
Carve a turkey
15. Use a sewing machine
16. Put out a fire
Medical Myths
Treat frostbite
44. Treat a burn
45. Help a seizure victim
Military Know-how
Shine shoes
49. Make a drum-tight bed
50. Drop and give the perfect push up
Outdoors
Run rapids in a canoe
52. Hang food in the wild
53. Skipper a boat
Primitive Skills
Build a fire in the wilderness
58. Build a shelter
59. Find potable water
Surviving Extremes
Floods
61. Tornadoes
62. Cold (boy do I ever! :rolleyes: )
Teach Your Kids
Cast a line
66. Lend a hand
67. Change a tire
Technology
Install a graphics card (I think I can )
77. Take the perfect portrait
78. Calibrate HDTV settings
Master Key Workshop Tools
Drill driver
82. Grease gun
83. Coolant hydrometer

It's interesting to see what I do and do not know... How well did you do?
On the 15 part quiz I scored 12 out of 15...
Curious to know how well the ladies did too... never mind the testosteroned laden theme of the article... women have learned quite a bit from my parent's day.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
13/15 on the quiz. I missed the type of tool used to cut a branch for a specific size branch and the better tires for use in snow. It's funny that 102% of the people got the proper place to be for a tornado right.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I can feel pretty good about my manhood. I got 13/15 on the quiz... and know most of what's on their list. In fact, I've done a lot of 'em!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
13/15 on the quiz. I missed the type of tool used to cut a branch for a specific size branch and the better tires for use in snow. It's funny that 102% of the people got the proper place to be for a tornado right.
Same two I missed... Interesting.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I missed a bunch. The quiz said that I "knew enough about power tools to be dangerous." Say whaaaa?? Most of the questions that I missed were about the old-fashioned analogue non-power-tools like axes, pruners, and drywall knives! :lol:

Ah well. I never had a man card to begin with, I guess I don't have to worry about keeping it. ;)

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I missed a bunch. The quiz said that I "knew enough about power tools to be dangerous." Say whaaaa?? Most of the questions that I missed were about the old-fashioned analogue non-power-tools like axes, pruners, and drywall knives! :lol:

Ah well. I never had a man card to begin with, I guess I don't have to worry about keeping it. ;)
Well... do you see those skills as worth a woman learning? How about that? Or leave them to the men? Personally I see quite a few that a woman could find very useful to learn.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well... do you see those skills as worth a woman learning? How about that? Or leave them to the men? Personally I see quite a few that a woman could find very useful to learn.

Depends on interest. Most of those tasks would bore my nerdy brain to tears. I'd much rather be puzzling through the electrical code and wiring a new light fixture to spec than figuring out the right way to go chopping and pounding. My sister on the other hand can probably manage nearly everything listed in the quiz.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe I could do most of the 100 on the list.

But I will admit that some of them I would not do well and need more practice. But sometimes I find it more convienent to pay an expert for critical items.

I got 14 out of 15, but I took the quiz after browsing the list first. I missed the Splintering versus Spliting.