What size Bō to get

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nor, really, is spending loads on a really nice hand saw when a cheaper model will do the work. But there's a satisfaction in a really nice tool, even when it doesn't do a better job. And there is a different feel to things like purpleheart wood. Even a dowel of that stuff (not a "staff") runs upward of $70.
trying to put a defintion of quality on something that doesnt do a better job is somewhat subjective and the major plot point in zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance, just to show you could run the discusion to a few hundred pages.

it depends i suppose, ive just bought myself a nice watch, that doesnt tell the time any better than a much cheaper watch, but then its real job is to be jewelry and look good/ exspensive, so as a life style acuitriment its worth the investment to annoy people who can only afford a cheap watch

on the flip side ive also bought a zippo knock off, that was £4 pounds and not £ 40 , it seems to do a sterling job of lighting my pipe, and that really all i exspect of it so any tangleable or intangable benefits from the real quality article can be safely ignored on the grounds of economy.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
trying to put a defintion of quality on something that doesnt do a better job is somewhat subjective and the major plot point in zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance, just to show you could run the discusion to a few hundred pages.

it depends i suppose, ive just bought myself a nice watch, that doesnt tell the time any better than a much cheaper watch, but then its real job is to be jewelry and look good/ exspensive, so as a life style acuitriment its worth the investment to annoy people who can only afford a cheap watch

on the flip side ive also bought a zippo knock off, that was £4 pounds and not £ 40 , it seems to do a sterling job of lighting my pipe, and that really all i exspect of it so any tangleable or intangable benefits from the real quality article can be safely ignored on the grounds of economy.
Yep. That watch is like a purple heart wood bo. My oak staff would do the job nicely. The mechanical advantage of a denser wood is likely negligible, but man it feels nice.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yep. That watch is like a purple heart wood bo. My oak staff would do the job nicely. The mechanical advantage of a denser wood is likely negligible, but man it feels nice.
I never handled Purple Heart. Is there a special feel to it? Something about the grain or density?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any idea how it responds to impact stress?
I'm not sure I'm remembering the discussion accurately (have had a few similar ones with other folks about other materials), but I thought they said it was sturdy like Appalachian hickory. I don't know if I'd do wood-on-wood contact work with something that nice unless I could afford to replace it at any time.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not sure I'm remembering the discussion accurately (have had a few similar ones with other folks about other materials), but I thought they said it was sturdy like Appalachian hickory. I don't know if I'd do wood-on-wood contact work with something that nice unless I could afford to replace it at any time.
Yeah, eventually the surface will get all dented up regardless.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Purple heart is extremely hard wood with a 2520 rating on the Janka scale.

For comparison:

Hickory is at 1820

Oaks are in the 1200-1400 range

Walnut 1000-1050 range

Yellow pine is 870

It is denser, stronger, and has a higher stiffness rating than hickory.

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Purple heart is extremely hard wood with a 2520 rating on the Janka scale.

For comparison:

Hickory is at 1820

Oaks are in the 1200-1400 range

Walnut 1000-1050 range

Yellow pine is 870

It is denser, stronger, and has a higher stiffness rating than hickory.
Would you say that it is noticeably heavier than other woods, like hickory?

When it breaks, is it gradual with the fibers holding on for a while, or does it break cleanly?

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is heavier (about 15 percent) but I'm not sure how it breaks.

It typically has a very straight grain but can have some pieces that have a wavy or curly grain.

It also can be hard on your tools working with it due to its hardness. When cutting it you have to be careful of burning it from heat build up.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't use mine with bo vs. bo drills. The main benefit besides the beauty to me is the added heft. It's a form of weight training to me as I go through the bo kata. Then a 'normal' staff feels light and easy and to handle with practicing the partner exercises.
I feel the same way about my weapons training.

I’m just thinking ahead to the zombie apocalypse, considering optimal weapons materials.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't use mine with bo vs. bo drills. The main benefit besides the beauty to me is the added heft. It's a form of weight training to me as I go through the bo kata. Then a 'normal' staff feels light and easy and to handle with practicing the partner exercises.
If you use staff as weight training, the copper pipe can be a good one. If you close both ends, you can fill sand into it.

john-pole-2.jpg

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I feel the same way about my weapons training.

I’m just thinking ahead to the zombie apocalypse, considering optimal weapons materials.
for the ZA im using a pick axe handle with a spike on it, ive already got it ready, there no point waitibg till it happens and trying to select the weapon, it will be like toilet paper early covid

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
American Osage Orange might be an interesting choice of wood for a bo.

Its denser and harder than purple heart wood....might be a little heavy though....maybe not though. It was popular in making bows due to its stiffness.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Its denser and harder than purple heart wood....might be a little heavy though....maybe not though. It was popular in making bows due to its stiffness.
Added weight would be a plus in my book. My oak staves are light to me, and I believe in the advantage of training with a wider range of contexts and tools to prepare to adapt.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score

The term "bodark" was used for it, which was a corruption of "bois d'arc" because it is such a good wood for making bows. The key is that it can be worked in the same way that English yew could, as a natural laminate. The key, as I've been told, is to cut the stave such that you can have the sap-wood along one side of the length, and the heart-wood along the other.

There are lots of people currently making osage orange staffs and bow staves. I've used a little bit of it for a short stick. It's nice. Very durable.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Would you say that it is noticeably heavier than other woods, like hickory?

When it breaks, is it gradual with the fibers holding on for a while, or does it break cleanly?

Purpleheart is heavier than most other woods (such as hickory, maple, etc).

It's actually pretty resistant to breakage, but when it does, it breaks in a way that exposes very sharp edges. Usually, you'll see it crack first, at which point the weapon is better off being discarded.

Still, it does make for some really nice weapons, and they do last a very long time, especially if you're not using them for impact.

Back to the question of how long should a bo be, it all depends.

For most average sized people, with average length arms, your height + / - 2 inches is generally a good place to start.

If you have longer than average arms, then you would probably find that a length of +6 inches, or maybe even a whole foot, to be more comfortable. I've seen Oshiro Shihan use a 6' long bo, even though he's closer to 5' 5".

Latest Discussions