What really makes a great Kung Fu teacher?

BFL

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I travel between North Jersey and Central Florida
I know there have been other threads somewhat touching on this before but just wanted to put this one out there.
What really makes a great Kung Fu teacher? IMO it's more than just a great fighter, as we all know you could be a great fighter due to your own perseverance and training efforts along with perhaps some natural ability thrown in, but does that mean you have the ability or insight to be able to pass on your skills? Does that great fighter also posses moral and ethical character? At my age the hope that I can fight like Bruce or GM Yip Man or other great Sifu's, has passed, I am after all a realist. But do I have the hope that I can teach and pass on my system which IMO should include strength of character and good morals, helping others and qualities to be found in a good human being? I think what makes a great Kung Fu teacher is a true understanding of ones system, it's subtle intracacies and nuances as well as sincere moral aptitude and depth of character including respect for people in general, your students and especially for other families and other styles. I guess what has brought this to my thoughts again is a case of someone in cyber world openly slamming a W.C. Sifu as not only not really teaching W.C. but also being the town drunk. To me this is dispicable and deplorable. Like they say, a small minded person only puts others down to try and lift themselves up, usually because they realise their own difficiencies and faults and have no other way to transend those issues than to be a negative ****. I only hope as I continue to grow in my Wing Chun that I do pass on and teach good skills not just in fighting ability but also as a decent human being. What are your thoughts out there?
Peace and blessings to all,
Buzz

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
A great deal of patience........and understanding the human emotions/physiology.......again a great deal of patience,not giving up on people,I like to use metaphors often.......in terms of ethics,hard work will reveal the slacker,the impatient,the lazy,the hothead,the opportunist, the self indulgent....Yes, it it hard to find a genuine student who fully commits....
very frustrating indeed....especially when you possess an opportunity.
you can lead a horse to.........but you......make....drink.................ha...ha..

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The teacher should not only know the system, but be able to communicate it to the students, whether those students are visual, aural or kinesthetic learners. Yes, patience is paramount, but so is the teacher's desire to see the students surpass him/her.

Think of the best teachers you had in High School. They knew the subject, but they also could light the fire within you.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would have to say one who is humble- at least a decent human being.

And who is able to transmit the system to his to di in a positive manner.

OP
B

BFL

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I agree with both you guys. Humility, patience, knowledge of the system your teaching, respect practiced towards others, compassion and understanding along with strength of teaching methods, in other words no molly codling of students but not being a hard *** either. Many things comprise what makes a great teacher and I believe most of us agree with many if not all of those qualities. So how many teachers/Sifu's out there actually posess these qualities? Just a question to ask yourselves I guess and if you find yourself falling short in one avenue or another, are you as a teacher willing to make the adjustment? I myself have been guilty of slamming others until my Sifu set an example for me and taught me the virtues of not doing so. Are you the kind of person who just wants to argue to make your point and draw attention to yourself or are you at least willing to meet in the middle on some things, are you at least willing to help bridge the gap with understanding? We all belong to the Wing Chun family, don't sweat the small stuff just to satisfy your own ego, and it's all small stuff. Your Wing Chun is, well, Your Wing Chun and who am I to say it's right or wrong? And yes, this point is a big part of learning to become a great or at least a good Kung Fu teacher and for that matter, a good Kung Fu person. But then again, what the hell do I know?
BFL

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
I would have to say one who is humble- at least a decent human being.
And who is able to transmit the system to his to di in a positive manner.

How you explained, remind me of my sifu.
I like the way we learn, and can sometimes apply our technique to a situation or scenario, for REAL LIFE. Explanation is very important.

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think patience and maturity are important for any teacher of anything. Of course, you have to know before you can teach, and you need to be able to communicate effectively.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have had bad teachers and good ones I will list both.

Bad: Teaches ineffective material that gives false assumptions you can use it in a real encounter.

Shows the technique so fast that noone can understand how to perform it.

Does not correct students when obviously they are having trouble performing the technique you just showed them.

Makes absurd contracts,payments.

Yells at you when you are trying ask directions to their school.

Sucker punches you.(I had this happen while visiting a school he sucker punched me in the stomach!)

Smacks students in the back of the head when they perform something wrong.

Yells at you for not being as good as him.("I am trying to make you guys linerage holders so it has to be perfect"-Taiji Bob)
Good:
Explains the technique why it works,how it works.
Says good things about your practice like"looking smoother blah blah"
Shows the technique,corrects you or explains it better.
Answers your stupid questions when you can see he seriously wants to smack you for asking it but since he is a patient good teacher he doesn't.
Loves to tell those old stories about how his teacher beat him up all the time and how easy I have it.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have had bad teachers and good ones I will list both.

Bad: Teaches ineffective material that gives false assumptions you can use it in a real encounter.

Shows the technique so fast that noone can understand how to perform it.

Does not correct students when obviously they are having trouble performing the technique you just showed them.

Makes absurd contracts,payments.

Yells at you when you are trying ask directions to their school.

Sucker punches you.(I had this happen while visiting a school he sucker punched me in the stomach!)

Smacks students in the back of the head when they perform something wrong.

Yells at you for not being as good as him.("I am trying to make you guys linerage holders so it has to be perfect"-Taiji Bob)

Lol, I've experienced most if not all of these. It happens quite frequently in the Martial Arts Community. But I guess in the end all of our past experiences lead us up to the moment or in the here and now.

OP
B

BFL

Orange Belt
Reaction score
JadeCloud - most excellent, thanks for the response and I agree whole heartily.
In my earlier days with Shotokan, my so called Sensei told the other students he had to teach me a lesson one night as I was getting too cocky I guess. Now as a beginner there is definately a posibility that I was getting too cocky for my abilities but I don't think kicking me in the head and knocking me out, onto a cement floor was really the best way to deal with me, but then again I'm biased, lol.
Jade, good explanation on the good vs. bad details, thanks, this is the kind of response I was looking for.

chinaboxer

Green Belt
Reaction score
IMO someone who "inspires" you to greatness and allows you to "stand on their shoulders" of knowledge which allows you to see farther than they can. someone who does not want you to "follow in their footsteps" but rather "seek what they sought". someone who "leads" by "following" and continues to be a "guiding light" in the darkness so that you can find your "way" on your own martial arts journey.

Jin

BlueVino

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What really makes a great Kung Fu teacher? IMO it's more than just a great fighter, as we all know you could be a great fighter due to your own perseverance and training efforts along with perhaps some natural ability thrown in, but does that mean you have the ability or insight to be able to pass on your skills?

I have met martial artists who were great fighters but mediocre teachers, great teachers but mediocre fighters, and a few who were great teachers and great fighters. Finding them is very, very rare in my experience.

The best teachers I've known were able to teach their students to express themselves through their art. It's one thing to create copies of yourself, it's quite another to teach students to be themselves.

I think it's also important for students to understand that goal. I only half-jokingly say that I study "Me-fu."

Latest Discussions