What martial art would a Jedi/Sith take? (for fun discussion)

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
As the title suggests, what martial art style do you think a Jedi/Sith would train in? Obviously, this is supposed to be a fun discussion on real martial arts in the fictional Star Wars universe. Try to apply the arts movements and strategies to the jedi/sith concept.

D

Deleted member 39746

IRL or in lore? Because they have their own styles they take in lore.

IRL, i am obviously going to cite some form of weapon based one that is also complete to include unarmed fighting. I dont precisely want to cite one particual one as old naming convetion is pretty much the style is what ever there name is system. And along with that i dont have a encylopedic knowledge of all of these. :p

Addendum: im not entirely sure of if its IRL or in lore, so struck through the query.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
From what I recall Qui-gon's name is based on the chinese term qi'gong. Not sure if that helps.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would argue the 7 lightsaber forms (really 9, since two of them have variants) are their martial arts.
  • Form I - Shii-Cho - is the basic form, and was modelled around Kendo.
  • Form II - Makashi - uses a lot more linear motions and efficient movements, and is modelled around fencing.
  • Form III - Soresu - is the defensive form, built largely around the circular flourishes (called "orbits" in lightsaber clubs)
  • Form IV - Ataru - is a form which relies on using the Force to enhance the physical abilities of the fighter. (No real-world allegory, since we can't use the Force, but tricking and parkour come closest)
  • Form V - Shien - a form built around redirecting power, such as parry and counter attack, or reflecting blaster bolts. A good allegory would be Kung Fu
  • Form V - Djem-So - a form built around overpowering your opponent by battering their defenses out of the way. Any art that uses hard blocks would be a good fit here.
  • Form VI - Niman - is sort of a catch-all form that includes a lot of Force techniques, as well as dual-wielding and double-bladed. MMA or JKD would be good fits here. Maybe Wushu, which I understand is an amalgam of a lot of different styles of Kung Fu.
  • Form VII - Juyo - is a form that draws pretty much on the Dark Side. So whatever @Buka trains would fit here very well.
  • Form VII - Vaapaad - is a form which balances the Dark and the Light sides. Whatever @gpseymour trains would fit well here.
Kidding aside, I think there are a couple of things that go into this. We can look at it if someone were to apply Jedi or Sith philosophies to choosing a martial art, vs. if someone with force powers were choosing a martial art.
  • Jedi - Tai Chi or Aikido. Find the harmony, use that against your opponent.
  • Sith - Sith would probably go for street fighting. MMA without the rules. If you die or get injured, it means you weren't worthy enough to be a Sith.
  • Using the Force - I don't know that there is a martial art that would really fit here. The Force itself would give the ability to anticipate attacks and to physically out-speed your opponent. I honestly think arts that will keep you from getting grabbed or which focus on footwork will be great bets. Boxing, Taekwondo, Bagua, and Hapkido/Aikido are strong considerations for me.

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
As the title suggests, what martial art style do you think a Jedi/Sith would train in? Obviously, this is supposed to be a fun discussion on real martial arts in the fictional Star Wars universe. Try to apply the arts movements and strategies to the jedi/sith concept.
Sith most likely would be trained under Bruce Lee, or JKD. Their ideology stresses expressing emotion and using it as a tool, just like Bruce Lee enphasised on “emotional content”.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Yiquan/Dachengquan....absolutely no doubt about it :)

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would say they would both take up kendo and fencing although their approach to the arts would differ.

BTW David Prowse who played Darth Vader was a fencer in real life.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sith most likely would be trained under Bruce Lee, or JKD. Their ideology stresses expressing emotion and using it as a tool, just like Bruce Lee enphasised on “emotional content”.
I would say the Sith would be more likely to train under the fictional John Kreese of Cobra Kai while the Jedi would train in Miyagido.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only the bad ones. That's why people think there are only two in the galaxy.

Oh no, there are more. They've still never officially acknowledged what every rational thinker knows.
The real Sith lord is Darth Darth Binks.
upload_2020-5-15_16-14-17.jpeg

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can only do this from the negative... It's almost certainly not going to be either BJJ or TKD.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
A Jedi would take an art such as Miyagi-do which was based on the real art of Goju Ryu so Im thinking a Jedi would do Roju Ryu.
A Sith would take an art such as Cobra Kai which I believe is based on Tang Soo Do.

Latest Discussions