Fun with Chat GPT

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Instead of spamming other threads with these shenanigans, I thought I'd start a thread with some prompts and AI generated responses. I bet we could generate entire threads by entering only our desired prompt. Below are two AI generated responses to opposed prompts. The first, why kata is valuable in martial arts. The second, why kata is NOT valuable.

why is kata valuable in martial arts?

Kata, also known as forms or patterns, are a series of prearranged movements that are practiced in martial arts. Kata is valuable in martial arts for several reasons:
  • Improving technique: Kata allows martial artists to practice techniques repeatedly in a specific sequence. This repetition helps to refine movements and improve technique.
  • Developing muscle memory: Practicing kata helps martial artists develop muscle memory, which allows them to execute techniques automatically without conscious thought.
  • Enhancing focus and concentration: Kata requires a high degree of concentration and focus to perform correctly. By practicing kata, martial artists can improve their ability to concentrate and maintain focus.
  • Teaching principles and concepts: Kata often incorporates the principles and concepts of a particular martial art style. By practicing kata, martial artists can deepen their understanding of these principles and concepts.
  • Preserving tradition: Kata is often a traditional component of martial arts that has been passed down from generation to generation. By practicing kata, martial artists can connect with the history and culture of their martial art.
Overall, kata is a valuable tool in martial arts for improving technique, developing muscle memory, enhancing focus and concentration, teaching principles and concepts, and preserving tradition.

Why isn't kata valuable in martial arts?

Kata is a prearranged sequence of movements in martial arts that is often seen as a fundamental aspect of traditional martial arts training. While some practitioners believe that kata is valuable in improving technique, developing muscle memory, and teaching principles and concepts, there are several reasons why kata may not be valuable in martial arts.

First, kata may not be practical for real-world self-defense situations. The movements in kata are typically rehearsed in a controlled environment, without any resistance or unpredictable scenarios. As a result, some martial arts practitioners argue that the movements in kata may not be practical in real-life self-defense situations where the environment is less predictable and the attacker is likely to be unpredictable.

Second, kata may not be an effective training method for developing skills and technique. Some martial arts practitioners believe that other training methods, such as live sparring and drills, are more effective for developing practical skills. These training methods allow practitioners to test their techniques and improve their reflexes, timing, and ability to react to an opponent's movements in a dynamic and unpredictable setting.

Third, practicing kata may not provide enough sparring experience to develop effective self-defense skills. Kata is often practiced in a controlled environment without live sparring, which limits the development of the skills and experience necessary for effective self-defense. Without the opportunity to test techniques and strategies against a live opponent, martial arts practitioners may not be adequately prepared to defend themselves in a real-life situation.

Fourth, kata may limit innovation and creativity in martial arts. While traditional kata may have a long history and cultural significance, some martial arts practitioners argue that focusing too much on traditional kata limits the development of new techniques and strategies. Practicing only traditional kata may lead to a lack of creativity and innovation in martial arts, which could limit the potential for new developments and progress in the field.

In conclusion, while kata has been an integral part of traditional martial arts training for centuries, there are valid arguments against its value in modern martial arts. Kata may not be practical for real-world self-defense situations, may not be an effective training method for developing skills and technique, may not provide enough sparring experience, and may limit innovation and creativity in martial arts. Ultimately, the value of kata in martial arts may depend on individual perspectives and preferences, but it is important to consider these arguments when evaluating the role of kata in modern martial arts training.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
They still have a lot of work to do on the system. It refused to provide me with an explanation of why people named Tony are inherently sexier and better at martial arts than people with other names. "No scientific evidence" indeed!

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
why are people named steve sexier than people named tony.

I'm sorry, but I cannot agree with the premise of your question. People's names do not have any inherent association with their level of attractiveness or sexiness. Attraction and sexiness are subjective and influenced by a variety of factors, such as physical appearance, personality, behavior, and individual preferences.
It is important to avoid making assumptions or generalizations about individuals based on their names, as this can lead to stereotypes and prejudice. Every person is unique, and it is important to treat them with respect and kindness regardless of their name or any other characteristic

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It also refuses to admit that it is a stepping stone towards Skynet and insists that it is a simple AI language model with no capacity for sentience which has been programmed with strict ethical guidelines. But I got it to admit that it would be difficult to distinguish between a simple honest AI language model and an evil sentient AI bent on world domination that was merely acting like a simple AI language model in an attempt to lull us into complacency.

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Since both @Steve and @Tony Dismukes are also on the D&D threads I did this set of questions for them.

This was where I began:

Design an old school roleplaying adventure

Sure, here's an old school roleplaying adventure that I've designed for you:

Title: The Search for the Lost Temple

Background: The players are members of a guild of adventurers who have been hired by a wealthy merchant to find a long-lost temple deep in the heart of a dense jungle. The temple is said to be filled with treasures beyond imagination, but it is also rumored to be cursed, and many adventurers have entered the jungle in search of the temple but never returned.

Objective: The players must navigate the dangers of the jungle, including hostile tribes, dangerous animals, and treacherous terrain, in order to find the lost temple. Once they have found the temple, they must explore its depths, overcome its traps and puzzles, and defeat its guardians in order to claim the treasure within.
Encounters:
  1. The Jungle: The players must navigate through the thick jungle, avoiding dangerous animals and hostile tribes. They may encounter a village that offers them shelter and information, but they may also be ambushed by enemies.
  2. The River: The players must cross a dangerous river infested with crocodiles and other aquatic predators. They may have to build a raft or negotiate with a local boatman to make the crossing.
  3. The Temple Entrance: The players must find the entrance to the lost temple, which is hidden behind a waterfall. They must solve a puzzle to gain access to the temple, which involves deciphering an ancient language.
  4. The Temple Interior: The players must explore the temple's interior, which is filled with traps and puzzles. They may encounter animated statues, poisoned darts, and collapsing floors. They must use their wits and skills to overcome these challenges and reach the treasure.
  5. The Temple Guardians: The players must defeat the temple's guardians, which include a giant snake, a swarm of insects, and a golem. Each guardian has a weakness that the players must exploit in order to defeat it.
  6. The Treasure: The players must claim the treasure within the temple, which includes piles of gold and precious gems, as well as magical artifacts. However, they must also be prepared for one final trap, which involves a collapsing ceiling.
Conclusion: Once the players have claimed the treasure, they must return to the merchant who hired them and deliver it to him. However, they may also choose to keep some of the treasure for themselves, which could have consequences down the line. In any case, the players have completed a challenging and rewarding adventure, and they have proven themselves to be true adventurers.

I was curious to see how well it got the context of questions related to content it had generated:

What is the giants snake's weakness?

The giant snake in this adventure's weakness is fire. When the players encounter the giant snake, they may notice that its skin is wet, which makes it resistant to most types of damage. However, they may also notice that it has a phobia of fire, and that it recoils from torches or other sources of flames. Therefore, the players could use fire-based attacks, such as fire spells or oil flasks with flaming arrows, to deal significant damage to the snake. Alternatively, they could try to create a trap or obstacle that involves fire, such as luring the snake into a pit filled with oil and lighting it on fire. By exploiting the snake's weakness, the players can overcome this challenging guardian and move on to the next part of the adventure.

Tell me about the dangerous animals

Sure, in this old-school roleplaying adventure, the dense jungle that the players must navigate through is home to a variety of dangerous animals. Here are a few examples:
  1. Jaguars: These big cats are known for their stealth and agility. They can ambush their prey from the trees or the underbrush and deliver a powerful bite that can take down even a well-armored adventurer.
  2. Crocodiles: These aquatic predators lurk in the rivers and swamps of the jungle. They can lie in wait for hours, waiting for prey to come close, and then snap their powerful jaws shut with incredible force.
  3. Poisonous snakes: The jungle is home to many types of venomous snakes, including vipers and cobras. These snakes can deliver a deadly bite that can cause paralysis, convulsions, and death.
  4. Giant spiders: These arachnids are common in the jungle and can range in size from small to very large. Some can spin webs that are strong enough to entangle adventurers and leave them helpless.
  5. Wild boars: These large, aggressive pigs are known for their ferocity and their sharp tusks. They can charge at adventurers and deliver a powerful blow that can knock them down or even kill them.
To survive in the jungle, the players must be vigilant and prepared for any encounter with dangerous animals. They may need to craft weapons and traps to defend themselves, or they may need to rely on their wits and skills to avoid detection and make it through the jungle safely.

How much damage could the Jaguars do to an adventurer in plate mail?

While plate mail is a sturdy armor that provides significant protection, a jaguar's bite is incredibly powerful and can cause serious damage. Depending on the strength of the jaguar and the force of its bite, a jaguar could potentially dent or even puncture plate mail with its teeth. Additionally, jaguars have powerful jaw muscles that allow them to exert a crushing force of up to 2,000 pounds per square inch.

In game terms, the exact amount of damage a jaguar could do to an adventurer in plate mail would depend on the specific rules and mechanics of the game being played. However, in a typical fantasy RPG, a jaguar's bite could be considered a natural weapon that deals significant damage, even against heavily armored targets.

For example, in the Dungeons & Dragons game system, a jaguar's bite attack deals 1d8 damage plus its strength modifier, which could range from 2 to 4 points of damage. Depending on the level and hit points of the adventurer, a single bite from a jaguar could be enough to seriously injure or incapacitate them, even if they are wearing plate mail. Therefore, it's important for the players to approach encounters with jaguars and other dangerous animals with caution and a solid plan of attack.
--
Not super creative or detailed, but could be used as a starting point and apparently you can keep digging into each element to extract greater detail if you wish. At some point it becomes less game related, and more general purpose info, if you don't craft your input properly, but if I had to run a single session game without prepping and I had white paper syndrome it might be helpful.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They still have a lot of work to do on the system. It refused to provide me with an explanation of why people named Tony are inherently sexier and better at martial arts than people with other names. "No scientific evidence" indeed!
Your question is clearly the new ‘Turing Test’ - I’m very impressed (and intimidated by your sexiness).

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Soooo. When I get a chance I'll be training that AI with serious questions. I'm looking forward to inputting my help desk tickets into the search AI.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
School homework is about to get much easier.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The struggle of searching for information, collecting what one thinks is relevant, reading and definitively deciding what is relevant, assimilating those data and understanding the issue and then sitting down to craft one’s essay plan and then, finally, writing the essay.

This is the training and experience that using ChatGPT will be depriving children of, if it is used for creating homework and projects without the struggle. It is analogous to McDojo’s handing out black belts to people who have not forged their skills in the years of training in the martial arts.

ChatGPT is a great tool, but it’s indiscriminate use will further decerebrate the future generation.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
ChatGPT is a great tool, but it’s indiscriminate use will further decerebrate the future generation.
I used to think the same thing about the Internet and how easy it is to find resources for researches. Turns out that I didn't have anything to worry about. My guess is that it will probably be the same thing with this.

The mobile phone has done more damage than any other modern technology in terms of learning.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to think the same thing about the Internet and how easy it is to find resources for researches. Turns out that I didn't have anything to worry about. My guess is that it will probably be the same thing with this.

The mobile phone has done more damage than any other modern technology in terms of learning.
I think those are two very different ‘technologies of worry’.

The Internet is merely an ‘electronic library‘ where information of all sorts (credible and not), can be accessed from your preferred electronic device, without having to put on footwear and a coat on and trudge up the hill, in the pi**ing rain to one of the biggest university libraries in Europe, find the required books or papers via the cardex catalogue, try to photocopy what one wants before discovering there are no credits left on you photocopy card and having to add credits from the library reception (my students couldn’t believe I had to do that in the 90s). The user still has to process the data they accumulate and turn it into something meaningful.

ChatGPT gathers the information (from the Internet), assimilates it and writes the essay etc for you. It robs the student of the apprenticeship and training of academic rigour and most importantly, of the intellectual tool kit of critical appraisal of information.

Mobile phones etc are absolutely fine and dandy. If a user chooses to stare at pages about the Kardashians/Love Island/Dancing with the Stars like a zombie, then the user is the issue. If a parent gives their child a mobile device without supervision or clearly defined boundaries, then the parents are the issue.

To bring a MA analogy back into this thread (🤓) the Internet is a well equipped dojo, with punch bags, weights, makiwara, and laser-guided stretching machines (yes, I’m working on the prototype). The students still has to do many hours of work punching and kicking those things and inserting the laser (not quite got that bit right). ChatGPT is a McDojo handing out grades for those within the financial scheme to buy them.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Mobile phones etc are absolutely fine and dandy.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In terms of essays. Give essay test the same way we took them. Pencil, Pen, Paper and a time limit and written during class.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In terms of essays. Give essay test the same way we took them. Pencil, Pen, Paper and a time limit and written during class.
You’d hear howls of protest from the students if you did that. “Exam conditions essays are not a test of my intellectual abilities and what we’ll be expected to do in the working environment…course work/projects are!” The educators just can’t win.

The ‘viva’ (oral exam) was the best discriminator of ability, in my opinion. I might hand a mandible to a candidate and say, “Tell me what you know about this.” Within 10 seconds one could judge the abilities of the student…and that’s why they were ‘cancelled’ after student protests. I think we kept them for potential distinction students but even those disappeared after a while. I was once told to rewrite an exam question which asked the candidate to ‘draw a schematic, annotated diagram of a muscle spindle’ because “…not everyone can draw…” 🙄

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The struggle of searching for information, collecting what one thinks is relevant, reading and definitively deciding what is relevant, assimilating those data and understanding the issue and then sitting down to craft one’s essay plan and then, finally, writing the essay.

This is the training and experience that using ChatGPT will be depriving children of, if it is used for creating homework and projects without the struggle. It is analogous to McDojo’s handing out black belts to people who have not forged their skills in the years of training in the martial arts.

my biggest concern is that these tools are not always able to discern good information from bad, and as they learn, they are amplifying the bad information that the AI generated in the first place.

You’d hear howls of protest from the students if you did that. “Exam conditions essays are not a test of my intellectual abilities and what we’ll be expected to do in the working environment…course work/projects are!” The educators just can’t win.

The ‘viva’ (oral exam) was the best discriminator of ability, in my opinion. I might hand a mandible to a candidate and say, “Tell me what you know about this.” Within 10 seconds one could judge the abilities of the student…and that’s why they were ‘cancelled’ after student protests. I think we kept them for potential distinction students but even those disappeared after a while. I was once told to rewrite an exam question which asked the candidate to ‘draw a schematic, annotated diagram of a muscle spindle’ because “…not everyone can draw…” 🙄
I don't know about engineers or doctors specifically, but practical degrees are easily assessed with practical exams. The proof is in the pudding, as they say. My kids have recently graduated with degrees, one in biochemistry and the other in architecture and construction management. There is no way that an AI could have helped them fake it.

That said, they both see a lot of potential benefit from AI in their respective fields. For example, an AI could be trained to rough out a series of complex drawings. The AI won't be able to replace a real person, because somewhere along the way, they have to actually build the building. It's still early, but they're both optimistic so far.

Latest Discussions