Which kind of kenpo?

• Tracy Kenpo

• Parker Kenpo

• Shaolin Kenpo

• Chinese Kempo

• Shorinji Kempo

• Kajukenbo

• SL4

• something else (please elaborate below)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tiger Crane Kenpo to BB level under Randy Edwardson
EPAK to green under, well, i would rather not say, PM me if you want to know.
Shaolin KeNpo to Purple under Sifu Mike Cataline

I'm curious to know what Tiger Crane Kenpo is. Would you describe this a bit?

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tiger Crane Kenpo, as I was taught was based loosely on EPAK, but with more chinese elements in the movements.

We used both the EPAK forms and some selected japanese forms such as kanku dai, kusanku and bassai among others.

This seemed odd to me given that the idea was to learn the kenpo "flow" and the janpanese forms were not known for flowing movements but it was fun to study. I was told that the japanese kata were to learn power, and the kenpo kata were to learn flow.

The Parker techniques were not taught, but the principals of movement were. It also incorporated elements from Hawaiian Lua.

It is basically a dead style now, since the highest ranked master of the system fell off the face of the planet.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
no, no chinese forms, he just sort of "kung fu'd" up the epak forms a bit. Made them slightly softer I guess you could say.

over all, i would say the system was simular to goju in some respects (of course that could be said for a lot of kenpo) or maybe Hung gar in the hard soft aspect.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tiger Crane Kenpo, as I was taught was based loosely on EPAK, but with more chinese elements in the movements.

We used both the EPAK forms and some selected japanese forms such as kanku dai, kusanku and bassai among others.

This seemed odd to me given that the idea was to learn the kenpo "flow" and the janpanese forms were not known for flowing movements but it was fun to study. I was told that the japanese kata were to learn power, and the kenpo kata were to learn flow.

The Parker techniques were not taught, but the principals of movement were. It also incorporated elements from Hawaiian Lua.

It is basically a dead style now, since the highest ranked master of the system fell off the face of the planet.

I remember them from the 80's. They were pretty heavy into the So. Cal tournament scene. I remember them teaming up with a tang soo do school and calling themselves the "Unison" team.
I assume your talking about Randy Edwardson as the leader who fell off the face of the earth? I seem to recall his son being a black belt. And I've seen some "tiger crane kenpo" guys at recent tournaments. So there may be a few of them still around. If I remember right they were from Long Beach, Ca.
I also remember that Randy was affliated with Sol Kaihewalu's organization before he disappeared. When I asked Sol about Randy's kenpo roots, he said he was originally from the Tracy system.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Prof Bishop,
You are correct Sir.
Randy Edwardson (Kenpo) joined with Steve Amaro (TSD) to form team unison. Prob the biggest tournament name from team Unison was EJ Volta and or Omar Guerro.

Randy's school was in Long Beach where i was stationed at the time ( I started with Randy in 90)

Randy disappeared in 94 or so, and to my knowledge hasnt been seen since.

Oh, you are thinking of his brother Micheal Mounce, Randy didnt have any kids. Micheal's son Matt has been around, so it was prob him or some of his students you ran into.

You are also correct that Randy got his 5th from "the Olohe" At the time, i didnt realize that cross system promotion was a no no, but i found out later that Sol did a lot of that sort of thing.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Prof Bishop,
You are correct Sir.
Randy Edwardson (Kenpo) joined with Steve Amaro (TSD) to form team unison. Prob the biggest tournament name from team Unison was EJ Volta and or Omar Guerro.

Randy's school was in Long Beach where i was stationed at the time ( I started with Randy in 90)

Randy disappeared in 94 or so, and to my knowledge hasnt been seen since.

Oh, you are thinking of his brother Micheal Mounce, Randy didnt have any kids. Micheal's son Matt has been around, so it was prob him or some of his students you ran into.

You are also correct that Randy got his 5th from "the Olohe" At the time, i didnt realize that cross system promotion was a no no, but i found out later that Sol did a lot of that sort of thing.

He must have been a mysterious guy. Master Michael Mounce claims to be Randy's "cousin". And I seem to remember a teenage black belt from that group named "Randy Edwardson Jr."
Anyone know what happened to Randy? I know Sol didn't know where he disappeared to. He seemed to be mad at Randy over some business deal.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Prof Bishop.
I think you are right, after you posted that, i thought back and I am sure Randy told us Mike Mounce was his cousin.

Funny thing is, he always told us he didnt have any kids. If he did it wouldnt surprise me. I found out later that there was lots of things we got told that were not exactly 100% true.

A business deal gone bad wouldnt surprise me either. He wasnt very carefull with money.

I liked him, and I learned alot about Kenpo theory from him, but he was like many are, a man with flaws.

A google for "Randy Edwardson" comes up with nothing.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Prof Bishop.
I think you are right, after you posted that, i thought back and I am sure Randy told us Mike Mounce was his cousin.

Funny thing is, he always told us he didnt have any kids. If he did it wouldnt surprise me. I found out later that there was lots of things we got told that were not exactly 100% true.

A business deal gone bad wouldnt surprise me either. He wasnt very carefull with money.

I liked him, and I learned alot about Kenpo theory from him, but he was like many are, a man with flaws.

A google for "Randy Edwardson" comes up with nothing.

Here's a picture from a tournament in 1988. Maybe someone who wrote the caption made a mistake. You see Randy in the back row, right side. The teen kneeling in front of him is identified as "Randy Edwardson Jr". Do you recognize him as someone else?

edwardson.jpg

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Prof Bishop,
Thats Master Randy, sure enough, neat to see Paulie Zink standing next to him. The young man in front of Randy I have never seen. He was not at the school when i was there. Maybe they had a father/son falling out. I have no idea. I found Matt Mounce (micheal's son)on MySpace, I will contact him and ask about Randy jr. I will be sure to let you know what I find out.

Funny thing about that picture tho.

If you look at the belt Randy Jr is wearing, it appears to have kanji characters on it. That is something they do in the Tracy system. When I was with master Randy tho, he had the 5 inch solid red stripe for 5th degree that they use in the Parker system.This is not something they do in the Tracy system, But The Olohe told you Randy was from Tracy's

strange strange

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
shaolin chuan fa = UNITED STUDIOS OF SELF DEFENSE under PROFESSOR CHARLES MATTERA on the west coast in california.:jedi1:
Yes and no. Shaolin fist law (chuan fa) and Shaolin kempo are not exactly the same, 100%. If they were, we wouldn't be going to the Shaolin temple every couple of years. (I hear it's every year for the east coast guys). Shaolin Kempo was created by Fred Villari, and We (USSD) broke off from him.

The only relevant difference that I know of between Nick Cerios kempo and Shaolin Kempo is the addition of Sho tung kwok. There have been other changes Between Cerio's Kempo and Shaolin Kempo (and between the different branches of SK), however.

championmarius

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As far as I can tell, by comparative research, I learned Kenpo in an American Kenpo school under the Tracy lineage name, and with the Chinese Kenpo curriculum....hence my confusion on previous posts...

I have pretty much let the ship sail on trying to figure out just what the heck it is, and just say, "It is what it is."

Besides, no matter who, what, where, and how, it is MY Kenpo...

MarkC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm very new here. I got my black belt through sandan rank in Shaolin Kempo Karate from Shihan John Stover in North Carolina. His instructor was Albert Church, whose system was Shorinji Tetsukempo Kamishin ryu.
Since I moved out here near Seattle about 8 years ago, I haven't done any formal training, still looking for a school.

KenpoKing

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new here, but study EPAK in England, I didn't realise there were so many variations of Kenpo. Hoping to come over to the states at the end of next yaer for the world karate championship in vegas, will many of you be attending for the seminars / competition?.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here's a picture from a tournament in 1988. Maybe someone who wrote the caption made a mistake. You see Randy in the back row, right side. The teen kneeling in front of him is identified as "Randy Edwardson Jr". Do you recognize him as someone else?

I remember that guy with the beard. Used to run around the So Cal open tournament scene like da bomb; try to take over things at the internationals just by blustering his way into what he percieved as vacancies. Kinduva Alexander Haig thing..."nobody else to be seen? I'm in charge!"

He did give a good WWF-type dramatic show at running a ring, though.

D.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score

edwardson.jpg
My old ram challenged memory banks tell me that's "Randy Edmundson." Dr. Dave's assessment is correct. Came out of nowhere, had a school in Long Beach mostly kids, ran around inserting himself into the tournaments, hooked up with Sol, got unhooked from Sol, disappeared.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My old ram challenged memory banks tell me that's "Randy Edmundson." Dr. Dave's assessment is correct. Came out of nowhere, had a school in Long Beach mostly kids, ran around inserting himself into the tournaments, hooked up with Sol, got unhooked from Sol, disappeared.

Pretty much how my memory of him is, except for the spelling. I remember him insisting that the employees at the old "Phil Hall's Martial Arts Supply" refer to him as "Master Randy".
And then one day, he was just gone.
Doc, maybe you should check and see if he's in witness protection somewhere LOL

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pretty much how my memory of him is, except for the spelling. I remember him insisting that the employees at the old "Phil Hall's Martial Arts Supply" refer to him as "Master Randy".
I'd be more inclined to check to see if "Master Randy" is in custody somewhere. maybe he's sitting next to Darnell. :) Thanks for the memory jog sir.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score

Poor Wendy. She and Leo, in particular, wouldn't say BS if they had a mouthful. Too bad they had to be nice for the sake of the account.

D.