reality based self defense

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
"Reality based".... I know your going to attack me in the "reality based" class I signed up for. In fact, Im probably going to put myself into a particular situation (face away/ up against a wall/ groceries in one hand) so you can then do your attack.... and it will be "reality based". I know your not really going to stab me too hard with your rubber knife in the "reality based" class.

Kinda like jumbo shrimp, but much more contoversial. I personally think that if you want RBSD, you should go to a bar/ Raiders game/ violent neighborhood/ etc. and start talking trash. That would be RBSD.

:D

Makes a lot of sense actually. That's where the American systems evolved.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We don't have a name for what we do but if we did it would be something like ****ing hell that HURTS!

stabpunch

Orange Belt
Reaction score
'reality self defense' is the new mma, which was the new muay thai, which was the new ninjutsu, which was the new tae kwon do....

Not so. The term reality based is overly used and yes it is a marketing tool. This is why we don't use it to describe what we do. However my art does fall into the category. We are not concerned with tradition, lineage or techniques that are antiquidated and ineffective. We do utilise effective tecniques and strategies for self preservaion from ancient systems we do not disrespect tradition we just don't believe in training in futility.

The presentation of material should infact reflect reality. Dojo mentality means that if you do this technique then i would do that technique and so forth. Reality based means asking questions about situations that are encountered about forming best case and worst case scenarios and training to deal with REALITY. Sure you can always argue the what ifs but there is no denying being taken down, joint locked, thrown, punched or kicked. Especially if you experience that wonderful teacher PAIN. If you do not learn pains' lessons you will speculate endlessly.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We don't have a name for what we do but if we did it would be something like ****ing hell that HURTS!

I've done that style, not something I want to do on a regular basis, but a real eye opener

Latest Discussions