What is the youngest BB at your dojo?

Shade Silverwing

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I train at college. There's only one BB, our instructor. Dunno how old she is, but she's been in Shotokan for 20-some years.

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Our youngest junior BB is around 14/15 years but he has to grade again at the age of 16/17 years to become a senior black belt. I think he has been training for no less than 4 years. Our youngest senior BB is around 18ish. Took him 4 years approx.

OP
S

Spud

At my old dojang, he was 7 or 8. Must have been a late bloomer as it took him 3-4 years instead of two. :rolleyes:

New dojo - early thirties. With a good 6 years of training.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My school is rather new so there is only like 3 students...the instructor is the only one who is a Black belt...i am the nexthighest at the school and I am almost a blue belt...so yeah....its gonna be awile before i become DAN

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The youngest in our school is a ten year old. He started with his parents at six years old. So now he is recommended, half red and black. We use the red belt not brown btw. My master doesn't use the junior belt connotation. I don't agree with that especially since I have had a high schooler at the age of 16, teach the class of adults. But he behaved himself, it just felt awkward. Trouble is, is that he got black belt before me but can't remember the forms nor does the work required so I have passed all the teens. The tortoise and the hare thing. Besides they all go away to college in our town. TW

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I personally will always train even during collage..i mean i don't wanna be pushed along cause I was leavinging town.... i wanna go o school in town

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
The youngest in our school is a ten year old. He started with his parents at six years old. So now he is recommended, half red and black. We use the red belt not brown btw. My master doesn't use the junior belt connotation. I don't agree with that especially since I have had a high schooler at the age of 16, teach the class of adults. But he behaved himself, it just felt awkward. Trouble is, is that he got black belt before me but can't remember the forms nor does the work required so I have passed all the teens. The tortoise and the hare thing. Besides they all go away to college in our town. TW
That is a shame that a Junior BB cannot remember there forms, All I know my son is 10 a Junior BB and he knows all the Chon-Ji, Tau Gueks and most of the Karate Dia forms. Practice makes perfect or so they say!!!!!

OP
S

sasquatchnaruto

we hgave alot of blackbelt kids at our school last i check youngest was age 6

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
sasquatchnaruto said:
A junior black belt at 6??? Ummmm.

- Ceicei

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
John Bishop said:
My youngest black belt is 32. In Kajukenbo the minimun age is 18 to be a black belt. There are no junior black belts.
Funny thing about belt colors. I guess in some of the Korean arts red belts are used instead of brown. In a lot of Okinawan/Japanese arts the red belts are "master" level rank. Also the half red/half black belts I see tae kwon do using for "junior" black belts, are used for 7th degree in Kajukenbo and some of it's offshoots.
you are correct...though my school has the brown directly before red...

it is an odd situation in judo red belt is 9th-10th dan...in my taekwondo school it's directly before black belt...oh well...just a color

OP
F

Fortis

1 teen black belt that I can think of and one who is under 10. They are both "only" Junior black belts though as opposed to Dans.

Our TKD red belts are higher than brown. Black Belt Candidate follows that (half red/half black).

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
sasquatchnaruto said:
OK

sorry bro
but that's Astoundingly rediculous!!!!!!!!!!

don't want to sound too mean, but DANG!
That's a baby!

Kindergardeners shouldn't be Black Belts.
my opinion.
Your Brother
John

mhouse

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I believe our youngest is 12 or just under. We will promote to Nidan (although it is refered to as Junior Nidan) anyone under 18. However, you must be at least 18 to test for 3rd degree black.

Aside from the way my school does it, I think it's worth noting that a lot of schools run into the same problem.

Parent's sign a kid up when they are 4 or 5 for the little dragons (or whatever) program. The kid sticks with it over the years and the school must promote them eventually. (When I say must, I assume that the kid shows some growth, learning and love for the art, otherwise they tend not to stick with it.) So after 5 or 6 years you have student that has matured and made it through the ranks. Therefore you have young blackbelts. It's a tough call. You'd like to encourage the kid to stick with it and its hard to do that without recognizing effort and advancement through rank.

SenseiBear

Blue Belt
Reaction score
currently, 32. the youngest we ever had... Sensei's son tested for black at 19 - started training in a another kids class (different style) 10-15, trained with his dad at the GM's school 15-17, trained with us 17-19, got his black went to college, stopped training altogether.

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I started training in 1989, and did not get promoted to first dan until this year. It took me 15 years. I also have a buddy who studies kung fu and it took him 10 years to get his black belt, at there school it takes a minimum of 10 years before you are considered for a test to black.

OP
S

SMP

Students are unable to even test until 16. The youngest I have seen was 18 and had studied since he was 8

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
at the dojo i attend you have ot be atleast 16 but the yougnest is pry 24 ish i never asked his age

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
smirk.gif

I do think there was a 20 yr old before....but he went to college or something. As far as I know we don't test anyone under 18. No "junior" grades,either.
nixweiss.gif

Latest Discussions