Soapbox decussion

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This thread is for the decussion of the everyday life at your Dojang, Dojo or workout place.

Last night we had fight night well my youngest sons, who are in the same age brackets all the time, acted like they have never ever fought before as a father it makes you mad, but as there instructor you have to look at everything that is going on in there life,s like the end of school, getting burned out from being pushed everyday for two hours never getting a day off. As the head instructor I need to talk to dad and make him understand they are just childern and they are going to have bad days here and there. Here is the sad part since I'm there father I can't seem to conveye that to myself, why is it as an instructor you can see and over come obticles and as a father you just have to push them everyday. Sometimes the instructor just needs to knock myself in the head to make me the father understand.

What do you do if you find yourself like this and is it wroth kicking yourself in the ***?
Terry

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've had to catch myself on several occasions, being caught between the two roles can get confusing. Basically, when I know I'm out of line, I leave the room and breathe. Sabumnim knows it's hard on me being fairly new at this, and taking a moment to give myself the perverbial "kick" is in everyone's best interest. Yesterday, all 3 of my boys had to do squats (ultimately over 150) because they weren't loud enough. Now, they know better than this. My ears turn red, I shake my head...ahhhh. But you're right. They're just boys.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think that can be a difficult issue when family members train together, especially when one is the teacher and the other is the student. It is easy to fall into the trap of either being too easy, or too critical on the other. Either promotions are given quickly and without merit, or else they are forced to attain an unrealistic level of perfection. It's a tough spot to be in, and to find a reasonable path and treat the family member like any other student.

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Just a thought I know when Bruce Lee pushed Brandon into the arts.He tended to rebell.Later took up acting & then trained with Inosanto as his dad was gone by then.Now the Question I have as a father (do i push the lineage & great histical gifts that my teachers gave to him-or let him run his cource & let the arts pass out of the family)This is what happened with Jose Presas as well as he didnt teach Remy.Is it worth the chance to loose you connection from the kids or is there a way that will make it great & just as fun for them as you.We all walk differant paths & sometimes they cross.That is the time to pass it if any(When they meet as 1)Just a thoght.

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
When My son chose to train in a class setting It was hard on me I had to make sure i never allowed my son to get away with anything I would not let any student get away with. And perhaps was harder on him then regular students Why Maybe i though i had to show the others That as my child i did not give him any more credit then I would give them. This may have turned him away from my instruction because he did not understand as his father And as his teacher. It would have been better to have taught him seperate from others For the first few years As I wonder was I wrong perhaps. But I thought I was right At the time.

Latest Discussions