What is the youngest BB at your dojo?

K

KenpoNoChikara

How old is the youngest Black Belt at your school/ dojo/ dojang and how long did it take for her/him to get there?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well thats easy 10 yrs old and the WTF he is classified as a first POOM not DAN, he started training at the age of three and he recieved it 6 months ago so 6years and 9 months to get it. REMEMBER ONLY FIRST POOM NOT A 1ST DAN, so do not start in o the fact he is a junior blackbelt and myself has done all of his training that is my son!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
A

AaronLucia

Yikes! I think our youngest is 20ish and i think i remember him saying it took him 2 years. I'm not sure what other arts he has studied though.

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The youngest Black belt at my school is 36, but I am just starting a new school, with no advanced belts in the place except for me.

OP
T

TKD USA

8yrs old, he said it took him 4 years to get his black belt (poom)

OP
M

martialpunk

18, and both of them had been studying for 8 years. 18 is the minimum age for first dan in my system. For adults, it takes on average 5-6 years for Black Belt promotion if they are consistent.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
neither does WTF taekwondo...which is where the misconception comes from...under sixteen they are not ranked as a Dan...however, they have still put in years of relatively hard work for a child...so they are awarded a Poom rank, and they should not be wearing a black belt, they were a half black/half red belt...

OP
A

auxprix

My sensei has two twin sons that just recieved their 1st Dan rank. I believe they are 20~21.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bignick said:
neither does WTF taekwondo...which is where the misconception comes from...under sixteen they are not ranked as a Dan...however, they have still put in years of relatively hard work for a child...so they are awarded a Poom rank, and they should not be wearing a black belt, they were a half black/half red belt...
Big Nick the half red & black is there way of seeing if they are mature enough to wear a First Poom rank or not if they feel they are then they award a First Poom which is a Junior Black Belt. Then when they reach 16 they can transfer there Poom rank to a Dan rank, this is the way they have always done it. Grant you nobody likes seeing childern running around with a black belt but you do have the exception to every rule, and my son deserve his First Poom, he has been training since he could walk in the Art of Tae Kwon Do. He is very well manner when he is around senior ranking or for that matter any adult for he understands the respect factor.. GOD BLESS AMERICA

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
We had a fifteen year old girl for a while in our school who was a black belt. I think she deserved it (not that it's up to me to decide) because it took her about five years to get it and she was one of the best sparrers in our class. She won first place in weapons in tournaments a couple of times...very sharp, quick, and dedicated. We just had some very young kids join the class, too, so I'm curious to see if they will be promoted to black belt in a few years or have to wait. All of the kids in our class are white or yellow belts.

OP
K

KenpoNoChikara

Jeff Boler said:
16. I wont even allow anyone younger than that to test for it.
So say if a kid has been training for well over a minimum time limit for BB(if you have one) what do you do in the mean time?

OP
S

Shurikan

18 Is the youngest that can recieve a Black Belt in our system unless it is approved by the board of directors, which has only happened once to my knowledge, The youngest Black Belt in my dojo is 42, the youngest i have ever promoted was about 19 and the least amount of time i have trained someone to recieve there black belt was 5 years most of them average about 6-8 years and some longer then that.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My youngest black belt is 32. In Kajukenbo the minimun age is 18 to be a black belt. There are no junior black belts.
Funny thing about belt colors. I guess in some of the Korean arts red belts are used instead of brown. In a lot of Okinawan/Japanese arts the red belts are "master" level rank. Also the half red/half black belts I see tae kwon do using for "junior" black belts, are used for 7th degree in Kajukenbo and some of it's offshoots.

OP
R

rainbows

22. I train in a college club. I'll be the youngest BB in my club (20) when I grade in about 9 months time.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Right now, the youngest BB in our dojo is 31. We do have some adult brown belts who are in college (early 20's). Once they get their black belts in a few years, they'll become the youngest.

As for children, we do have a few jr brown belts and no jr black belts yet, but they have quite a long while left to go before they get their jr black. Once they get jr black, they then move on to study the adult curriculum which will take them some more years before they get the full black belt. The oldest jr brown is 12, so I am guessing maybe 16 as the bare minimum before getting full black belt. We'll see in a few years...

- Ceicei

Latest Discussions