What is the purpose in your MA training?

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It makes me a better person.
There is some thing wrong with you as a person like just as you were even before your training??? And even now you still do it because you still need be better person?? why is that?? you are not a person who is ok enough to do?? Thank you xo

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What is the point of surviving a zombie apocalypse? everybody be dead??
the script for such demands a small core of survivors' at least one of which is a pretty girl that needs protecting. In such circumstances the atributes that commonly attract pretty women, being handsome, driving a nice car the ability to dance, even having a pleasing personality are going to come second to an ability to fight off zombie herds and provide food. It's Maslow's hierarchy of needs writ large and of course all the pretty boy who can't run have been eaten. It's sound better all the time

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
the script for such demands a small core of survivors' at least one of which is a pretty girl that needs protecting. In such circumstances the atributes that commonly attract pretty women, being handsome, driving a nice car the ability to dance, even having a pleasing personality are going to come second to an ability to fight off zombie herds and provide food. It's Maslow's hierarchy of needs writ large and of course all the pretty boy who can't run have been eaten. It's sound better all the time
What do you do in this core of survivors? You all just sort of just survive? You know what for? to just theorise with Maslow?? Me I would rather become a zombie and just be lolling around all day and never worry about bathing or waxing or straightening irons ever again haha.. come and try it.. surviving is overrated

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Pride and Prejudice like Jane Austen, I am sure like me you are big fan of Mr Darcy haha j/k :) When you say humility.. you mean accepting that you get beat by people? Thank you

I don't think any diehard martial artist will accept defeat in their minds. A true martial artist is never defeated until they give up or stop trying. This notion is a part of martial arts philosophy. So it's not so much accepting defeat, as it is an act of being humble. Closed minds are incapable of learning, and to me I think martial arts is a way to learn. It develops good character, confidence, strength and wisdom. It's very easy for martial artists to be boastful or cocky. And we have a right to be, I think, to an extent. But pride can be blinding and unwilling to learn, unable to progress further and grow. Humility reminds us that no matter how good we are, we are still only human. Even if I go through life undefeated, in the end I will still succumb to old age. So humility to me isn't so much about accepting defeat, as it is about being truthful and honest with oneself.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Is a constant test of character, humility and integrity. The mat does not lie and you can not hide your true nature while on the mat. I have been defeated more than I have won. I have accepted it, learned from my errors and moved on. It is a never ending road of possibilities that end up with one of us tapping. Then we shake and help eachother up to do it all over again with a smile

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Why do you turn up time after time? what are you striving to achieve and for what reason?? when it come to the time you are about to die.. what will have been the purpose of all of this time you have spent training learning studying your martial arts? thank you for responding xo

Hi Jenna,
You have interesting thoughts! :) What you're really asking here is "what is the purpose of life?" Everybody is going to have a different answer to that question, as they will all have a different answer to why they train. One of my early Japanese instructors told me that there are as many reasons for training as there are people training. We all have to find our own reasons. My reason is simple ... because I like it! :)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
MA can provide you a good way to measure your "health condition". If you can do the following move when you were 10, and you can still do this when you are 80. you health is good in your entire live.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Im not really sure what purpose id be looking for. I didnt join for self defense. Although as time goes by I find myself more and more appreciating . I didnt join for confidence. I was already over confident. And im already healthy. however you cant ignore the health benefits that MA does provide. I guess the best answer I can tell you is the health benefits. You can never be too healthy. And being able to consistently improve in various aspects of MA.

thanson02

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thank you.. can you say please what it mean that your art do for you spiritually? How does that work for you? In your community it is linked with a religion or it is a personal thing? If so can you elaborate on what that might mean? Thank you
We do have a focus on meditation, but the art itself doesn't promote any particular religious position. Although I have seen quite a few of our members being drawn towards the philosophical side of Taoism.

When I talk about spirituality, what I talk about is the connection that people feel when they're involved in something that feels bigger than themselves. Whether it's God, nature, one's family ancestral line and culture, or anything else that makes you feel deeply connected to the world around them. To me, that is what lies at the very heart of what spirituality is.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't think any diehard martial artist will accept defeat in their minds. A true martial artist is never defeated until they give up or stop trying. This notion is a part of martial arts philosophy. So it's not so much accepting defeat, as it is an act of being humble. Closed minds are incapable of learning, and to me I think martial arts is a way to learn. It develops good character, confidence, strength and wisdom. It's very easy for martial artists to be boastful or cocky. And we have a right to be, I think, to an extent. But pride can be blinding and unwilling to learn, unable to progress further and grow. Humility reminds us that no matter how good we are, we are still only human. Even if I go through life undefeated, in the end I will still succumb to old age. So humility to me isn't so much about accepting defeat, as it is about being truthful and honest with oneself.
Thank you to show me this through your eyes :) Yes truthful and honest with oneself that make perfect sense.. and but some time you will fight a fight you will not win.. can you tell me it is not fitting that you ought to accept this as defeat? what are you saying about not accepting defeat? Thank you for your thought on this!

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is a constant test of character, humility and integrity. The mat does not lie and you can not hide your true nature while on the mat. I have been defeated more than I have won. I have accepted it, learned from my errors and moved on. It is a never ending road of possibilities that end up with one of us tapping. Then we shake and help eachother up to do it all over again with a smile
I want to ask you question about this I am wondering.. so if you are accustom to tapping.. do tapping not become your way of life?? What way do you react in fight where tap is no currency to buy you any mercy? thank you for your insight :)

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hi Jenna,
You have interesting thoughts! :) What you're really asking here is "what is the purpose of life?" Everybody is going to have a different answer to that question, as they will all have a different answer to why they train. One of my early Japanese instructors told me that there are as many reasons for training as there are people training. We all have to find our own reasons. My reason is simple ... because I like it! :)
Ha yes Paul maybe I am asking just that like you say.. is unique answer for every person that is quite correct indeed.. Your reason for training is that you like to do.. I am cool with that.. no need to further clarify :) Is ok to ask you.. your MA.. it is about fighting?? or about not fighting?? Thank you I am grateful for your wisdom xo

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"Through this fist way, long life and happiness"
Hello and thank you.. tho I am not certain I understand long life and happiness from a martial way?? you would be able to elaborate a little please?? I would appreciate that, thank you

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We do have a focus on meditation, but the art itself doesn't promote any particular religious position. Although I have seen quite a few of our members being drawn towards the philosophical side of Taoism.

When I talk about spirituality, what I talk about is the connection that people feel when they're involved in something that feels bigger than themselves. Whether it's God, nature, one's family ancestral line and culture, or anything else that makes you feel deeply connected to the world around them. To me, that is what lies at the very heart of what spirituality is.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
I can appreciate your reasoning about spirituality equating to connection to the bigger or wider aspect however one chooses to see it.. How though in a martial art which is not a means of controlling violence or threat, yes? How do controlling some one or some thing how in doing this martial activity does spirituality / connectedness come about? Maybe I am not thinking about this correctly.. thank you :)

thanson02

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I can appreciate your reasoning about spirituality equating to connection to the bigger or wider aspect however one chooses to see it.. How though in a martial art which is not a means of controlling violence or threat, yes? How do controlling some one or some thing how in doing this martial activity does spirituality / connectedness come about? Maybe I am not thinking about this correctly.. thank you :)

No, that is a good question. I have been reflecting on this recently.

Martial arts, at it's core, is a collection of methods used to control hostility. But one thing to keep in mind is that the fundamental nature of the world and humanity are the same. The tools we use to interact with the world have to take that into consideration. With hostility, sometimes you can talk people down and they will not instigate violence. Sometimes they get in your face, but when you actually start to engage in conflict, they become very complaint because they suddenly decide that they don't want to get hurt. And then you get those people who will not be happy until either you or them are a bloody mess on the floor. Hostility is part of the world and you cannot have a sense of deep connection to the world unless you acknowledge this truth.

That is my biggest issue with some people who get all "spiritual and enlightened". They are trying to find some transcendent reality where everything is roses and all the ugliness of existence fades away. That is not spirituality, that is escapism. You might as well be doped up on LSD or something if you are going to go that route. If you are going to have a deep and meaningful connection with anything, you have to acknowledge the good, bad, and ugly. You also need to know how to deal with it when it comes up. So in that essence, martial arts are not in themselves a spiritual path. But what they do is remind you about aspects of reality that are uncomfortable and very real. They give you tools to deal with that part of life, thus allowing you to deepen your relationship.

Another area where martial arts foster a sense of connection is the people you train with. If you find a group of people who really click with you, the connection you feel will help you find a place in the world. Unfortunately, this doesn't happen with everyone, which is sad, but having people you can open up with and be yourself around also adds to the sense of connection. I have never seen someone develop a true connection with anything when they are constantly hiding and putting up a false presence.

Does that made sense?

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No, that is a good question. I have been reflecting on this recently.

Martial arts, at it's core, is a collection of methods used to control hostility. But one thing to keep in mind is that the fundamental nature of the world and humanity are the same. The tools we use to interact with the world have to take that into consideration. With hostility, sometimes you can talk people down and they will not instigate violence. Sometimes they get in your face, but when you actually start to engage in conflict, they become very complaint because they suddenly decide that they don't want to get hurt. And then you get those people who will not be happy until either you or them are a bloody mess on the floor. Hostility is part of the world and you cannot have a sense of deep connection to the world unless you acknowledge this truth.

That is my biggest issue with some people who get all "spiritual and enlightened". They are trying to find some transcendent reality where everything is roses and all the ugliness of existence fades away. That is not spirituality, that is escapism. You might as well be doped up on LSD or something if you are going to go that route. If you are going to have a deep and meaningful connection with anything, you have to acknowledge the good, bad, and ugly. You also need to know how to deal with it when it comes up. So in that essence, martial arts are not in themselves a spiritual path. But what they do is remind you about aspects of reality that are uncomfortable and very real. They give you tools to deal with that part of life, thus allowing you to deepen your relationship.

Another area where martial arts foster a sense of connection is the people you train with. If you find a group of people who really click with you, the connection you feel will help you find a place in the world. Unfortunately, this doesn't happen with everyone, which is sad, but having people you can open up with and be yourself around also adds to the sense of connection. I have never seen someone develop a true connection with anything when they are constantly hiding and putting up a false presence.

Does that made sense?
yes!! Actually it makes a lot of sense Trevor what you have written.. is straightforward and balanced and show awareness, and no fluff.. I take a deal of meaning from what you have said.. thank you.. This deep and meaningful connection.. it count for any thing? like why it is worth having day to day you know? like when you are dealing with what you have said aspects of reality that are uncomfortable and very real the deep and meaningful connection how it come into play?? I hope you do not mind me picking your brains :)

oh and about what you say.. where every thing is roses and ugliness of existence fades away.. I think to my self can that be other than just escapism and delusion.. can that be the point in our existence where we do not worry or fear any more? maybe is not just for trippin out? maybe be actual.. what would it take for you to not worry nor fear any more? acceptance yes? you allude to it I think :) xo

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What do you do in this core of survivors? You all just sort of just survive? You know what for? to just theorise with Maslow?? Me I would rather become a zombie and just be lolling around all day and never worry about bathing or waxing or straightening irons ever again haha.. come and try it.. surviving is overrated
yes that sorts out the not caring about what other think part of being happy, but you don't get to do any of the fun stuff either. Like eating cooked food

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
yes that sorts out the not caring about what other think part of being happy, but you don't get to do any of the fun stuff either. Like eating cooked food
How do you know zombie families would not have trad Sunday roast? with gravy? it probably be a disaster of etiquettes true enough.. like some body probably get eaten at the table.. ol chubby uncle Jed :D mind that is the problem with zombies.. always moaning about some thing :)

Saheim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello and thank you.. tho I am not certain I understand long life and happiness from a martial way?? you would be able to elaborate a little please?? I would appreciate that, thank you

It is a motto/saying in Kajukenbo. Truth is - I don't remember which founder said it. It stuck with me, though. It might have meant something totally different to him (the man who said it) than it does to me. To me - "long life" is not only the health benefits but the increased ability to survive violent encounters, thus extending your life."Happiness" is both the process of setting goal, reaching them, then setting new ones (sense of accomplishment and purpose) AND the peace of mind that comes from being able to live your life how you choose because your skill set makes it more difficult for others to impose their will upon you.

Latest Discussions