What is the problem with Kukkiwon?

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Have you ever wondered why people complain about the kukkiwon.... Poeple all ***** about the price and the paper work and how you don't need it and how its a rip off. But God forbid you don't have one... Then your not a true TKD practitononer, could someone help me with this?

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
At one time the Kukkiwon certificates were hard to come by .... That has changed in the past 30 years however. Now if you have the right connections and enough money you can get a certificate pretty easily. In the US many do not use the Kukkiwon anymore as you get very little for it but a piece of paper.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
People mix up KKW and USAT or WTF. They do not understand that KKW only issues you your DAN certs, not much more if anything else.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is no problem with the KKW just the way it is runned. You see they issue world wide rank for TKD and they never ever see the candidate that are applying for the rank. Now lets see if we was going to be a Doctor or Lawyer one need to be seen sometimes, I know we are talking rank not a job but all in all the same principle. I have been a KKW guy over twenty five years so I can value in something but that value like alot of things have gone south in some ways. I mean everything cannot be the same and should not but they seem to be going the wrong direction alot of the time. The USAT and the WTF hold a different perspective for me the WTF governs the rules for the sport side and the USAT is the only game in town for the Olympic athlete hopes. I do not haave major problems with them but still they each have been known to fabricate things for the betterment of them solely.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think part of the issue is abuses by instructors and not the orgs. Students think they are pauying an outrageous fee to the KKW and their is a lengthy delay, and never learn what the true charges are so they don't realize their instructor is marking up the fee and possibly causing the paperwork delay as well. This problem is not unique to the KKW instructors adn I do not mean to imply that all KKW instructors do this.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
there are good KKW guys, like terry, or GM Kurban, etc so in that respect, i dont have a problem with it beyond the fact that it costs too much.

the problem with it in my mind is that the KKW is tied to the WTF, which is crap, teaches crap karate, and cant even do that right.

OP
NPTKD

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Could you tell me what is American Taekwondo? Is it Jhoon Rhee style... Mile High karate.... and is that you doing that crane form?

OP
NPTKD

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
and for that matter I didn't know that the WTF was in the business of teaching anyone.... I though that (know) there are only on the sport side of it.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have you ever wondered why people complain about the kukkiwon.... Poeple all ***** about the price and the paper work and how you don't need it and how its a rip off. But God forbid you don't have one... Then your not a true TKD practitononer, could someone help me with this?

Some people just like to complain...gives them something to do because they are not training enough.

There is no problem with the Kukkiwon. It efficiently and effectively issues dan certification (last one I processed took 2 weeks or so). It efficiently and effectively conducts instructor training courses, publishes written and video materials, all for the betterment of Taekwondoin everywhere.

You can be a true Taekwondoin without Kukkiwon certification. But, if you are interested in the Kukkiwon ideal of uniformity and standardization of technique/terminology/training methodology, I suggest you become Kukkiwon-certified.

Keep training!

Miles

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have no KUKIWON certification and don't feel bad about that, I'm just a 1th degee Black Belt under Jido Kwan and have my Jido Kwan Black Belt certification and nothing else.

Back in 1988 I pay for a KUKIWON certification and it never arrived, I lose my money period.

This days I'm more interested in learn that having KUKIWON diplomas.

Manny

OP
NPTKD

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I really am interested ( not disrespectful) about American TKD?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I really am interested ( not disrespectful) about American TKD?

I recall that TF and I got our TKD black belts in the same system, if that could be said given how eclectic American (er, Texas) Tae Kwon Do can be.

Essentially, Jhoon Rhee arrived in Texas and began teaching his understanding of Korean karate from Chung Do Kwan roots. He originally used the Japanese forms like Bassai and Pinan (Pyung Ahn) but converted over to Choi's Chang Hon forms. Eventually Rhee left for Maryland, but his mark on martial arts had already been made in Texas as his students continued to teach a snapshot of what he taught at the time while adding their own additions. Obviously no sine wave movement as that's not the way Rhee taught forms.

The Tae Kwon Do I learned adds a bit of Western boxing with a high guard employed. Hooks and uppercuts are taught early on. The typical self-defense and one step sparring drills are present with extensive free sparring, generally with a decent level of contact. It's regarded as a practical style with plenty of opportunities for cross-breeding. If it works, use it is a familar saying.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
there are good KKW guys, like terry, or GM Kurban, etc so in that respect, i dont have a problem with it beyond the fact that it costs too much.

the problem with it in my mind is that the KKW is tied to the WTF, which is crap, teaches crap karate, and cant even do that right.
WTF has nothing to do with the teaching of anything. The WTF only dictates the rules to the Olympic sport of TKD. Your school and your school only is responsible for the teaching of TKD.

This is the problem to many think this way. KKW also is not expensive either. The cost is only $70 per each time you test for a new DAN. If that is a cost problem then you must be learning at your dojang for free.

OP
NPTKD

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Isn't The Mile High Franchize one of these" American TKD system". So lets compair apples to apples.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
this:

I recall that TF and I got our TKD black belts in the same system, if that could be said given how eclectic American (er, Texas) Tae Kwon Do can be.

Essentially, Jhoon Rhee arrived in Texas and began teaching his understanding of Korean karate from Chung Do Kwan roots. He originally used the Japanese forms like Bassai and Pinan (Pyung Ahn) but converted over to Choi's Chang Hon forms. Eventually Rhee left for Maryland, but his mark on martial arts had already been made in Texas as his students continued to teach a snapshot of what he taught at the time while adding their own additions. Obviously no sine wave movement as that's not the way Rhee taught forms.

The Tae Kwon Do I learned adds a bit of Western boxing with a high guard employed. Hooks and uppercuts are taught early on. The typical self-defense and one step sparring drills are present with extensive free sparring, generally with a decent level of contact. It's regarded as a practical style with plenty of opportunities for cross-breeding. If it works, use it is a familar saying.

yep, thats it, American TKD in the texas sense of the word is the original TKD, before the koreans started getting all uppity and re-writting history.

it's HARD, self defense oriented, and we FIGHT.

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know what all these orginizations are, but my youngest brother is a TKD BB, and when he does his forms and SD techniques, it's a real hard style. I would swear it was shotokan with the low stances and hard blocks.

I was also watching video when Ed Parker took his fighting team around the world to different tourneys, there was this guy John Natividad who was TKD and he fought nothing like I've seen TKD fighters do today. What org. was he from?

It was before they implemented safety equipment for sparring.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
interesting bit of trivia Joe.

Natavidad fought an EPIC fight with benny the jet at the internationals in like 69, ended in overtime 12-13

that was in the days of 1 point scoring.

even more interesting trivia, benny urquidez got his BB from Bill Ryusaki. And wanna guess who Ryusaki got his from?

John Leonning from kajukenbo.

Latest Discussions