WHAT is the BEST SWORD for HOME DEFENSE??

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
An alternative to wasp killer is a strong mix of Bleach and water in a spray bottle. Don't tell me household bleach is illegal there too... I'd move out of Spain. LOL.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
JadecloudAlchemist wrote:
“Why not bar your windows,change your locks,get a security system,get a trained dog.”

Good advice there. Get a dog or two dogs.

I would make one room a safe room (master bedroom for instance) metal door very good locks. Most hallways leading to bedrooms are narrow so that caltrops on a shelf that you can spread while fleeing to your safe room with your family and dogs. Arm everyone that lives with you. Have a cell phone that you can call the authorities for aid. Be prepared to kill. A bat is good for breaking knees and elbows/shoulders and then braining the pos. A jo/bo can be very effective even in narrow halls (think playing billiards)

A sword might be a good tool if you know how to use it. A bat or other stick will let you give the pos the injury that they need from crippling to termination depending on the fight in them and the fight in you. A stick can be trained in the open and can be intimidating even a broom to the face of an attacker while you break their knee from below. Sticks are often less messy than bladed weapons making it easier to clean up the area after all said and done and easier on juries as well when they view the photos of the scene. If you are thinking of sword for intimidation then get the meanest looking one you can find. Think Klingon batlith type of fantasy weapon but one well made.

Find a means of tempering your soul so that if thieves break into your home you can efficiently take care of the situation even if it means brutally killing them and to be able to do that purposely not in some kind of rage (even if the rage is justifiable or not.) Prepare your family for the blood and gore especially if you use bladed weapons. Prepare yourself to stay in the fight even with an ax blade buried in your chest and your arm shorter by half.

If you have to face bladed weapons learn first aid and teach the others in your house. I am not talking CPR here but trauma care. Have the proper tools and training to keep you alive. Quick Clot blood clotting packs, large wound stuffing material, large wound binding material, different lengths and thicknesses tourniquets, fluids and knowledge of IV’s at the minimum should be on hand and both you and another should know how to use them.

Do you have neighbors that are fighters as well as neighbors that are nosey? Form a protective group that says on suspicion we will all gather and if provoked ‘do the block party’ on the thieves. As an anti-crime message nothing beats 10 or 50 angry neighbors putting the boots to screaming thieves on the television to convince other thieves that they should stay away from that neighborhood.

Think about moving to a country that values your life and the life and safety of your family more than the killers robbers and rapists. That your government puts you in the position of having to “beg for mercy” should be enough for the populace to hang the politicians burn the buildings and start over, but that is my own opinion.

Good luck
Regards
Brian King

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hey Brian good points!!

Reminds me of a story when the front door was open and my neighbor came running next to me with his gun!!

So having good neighbors can be an effective way to prevent and deal with robberies.

The nice thing about dogs is they can alert you someone is coming and if they are trained to attack even better.

Having bars on doors and windows is great. Most bad 'hoods" have them for a reason.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would first invest in some very good hardware for my doors, windows, etc.

Then I think you should defnitely look at gettting a dog. Preferably a smart dog like maybe a german shepherd. This way it can be trained to protect you and your family.

Keep a cell phone by your bed and go to bed with the number set for your local 911 or emergency number.

Invest in a Security system. Burglars will simply go somewhere else.

Invest in your martial training. Find a school and instructor that has what you are looking for in personal protection.

Finally as to the tool for home weapon defense. Firearms are always top choice but in your local that looks like an impossibility. So after a firearm a blade would logically be the next step. There are lots of home defense blades available however you will need some training in how to use them. Bob's advice on a machete is very good and sound and practical based on the price. You could also look at a filipino style blade such as this:
http://brianvancise.wordpress.com/2008/11/06/philippines-force-recon-marine-ginunting/

You will need training and instruction. This is simply something that you need to think about. Having a tool is not the same as being able to use that tool.

Good luck!
icon6.gif

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
JadecloudAlchemist wrote:

Good advice there. Get a dog or two dogs.

I would make one room a safe room (master bedroom for instance) metal door very good locks. Most hallways leading to bedrooms are narrow so that caltrops on a shelf that you can spread while fleeing to your safe room with your family and dogs. Arm everyone that lives with you. Have a cell phone that you can call the authorities for aid. Be prepared to kill. A bat is good for breaking knees and elbows/shoulders and then braining the pos. A jo/bo can be very effective even in narrow halls (think playing billiards)

A sword might be a good tool if you know how to use it. A bat or other stick will let you give the pos the injury that they need from crippling to termination depending on the fight in them and the fight in you. A stick can be trained in the open and can be intimidating even a broom to the face of an attacker while you break their knee from below. Sticks are often less messy than bladed weapons making it easier to clean up the area after all said and done and easier on juries as well when they view the photos of the scene. If you are thinking of sword for intimidation then get the meanest looking one you can find. Think Klingon batlith type of fantasy weapon but one well made.

Find a means of tempering your soul so that if thieves break into your home you can efficiently take care of the situation even if it means brutally killing them and to be able to do that purposely not in some kind of rage (even if the rage is justifiable or not.) Prepare your family for the blood and gore especially if you use bladed weapons. Prepare yourself to stay in the fight even with an ax blade buried in your chest and your arm shorter by half.

If you have to face bladed weapons learn first aid and teach the others in your house. I am not talking CPR here but trauma care. Have the proper tools and training to keep you alive. Quick Clot blood clotting packs, large wound stuffing material, large wound binding material, different lengths and thicknesses tourniquets, fluids and knowledge of IV’s at the minimum should be on hand and both you and another should know how to use them.

Do you have neighbors that are fighters as well as neighbors that are nosey? Form a protective group that says on suspicion we will all gather and if provoked ‘do the block party’ on the thieves. As an anti-crime message nothing beats 10 or 50 angry neighbors putting the boots to screaming thieves on the television to convince other thieves that they should stay away from that neighborhood.

Think about moving to a country that values your life and the life and safety of your family more than the killers robbers and rapists. That your government puts you in the position of having to “beg for mercy” should be enough for the populace to hang the politicians burn the buildings and start over, but that is my own opinion.

Good luck
Regards
Brian King

Great post. I would rep. you if I could!
icon14.gif

OP
F

frankieus

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
An alternative to wasp killer is a strong mix of Bleach and water in a spray bottle. Don't tell me household bleach is illegal there too... I'd move out of Spain. LOL.
Right... I have even thought about a water pistol with some really acid stuff on it but any of these sprays wouldn't have much stopping power. Just check this video:

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=hMttrTtkYDg

A police officer is killed after he massively sprays the killer. He shoots the police and runs away in the car. So unless the sprays knocks the guy inmediately I might get the ax splitting my head.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I have to admit my very first thought at seeing this post "WHAT is the BEST SWORD for HOME DEFENSE??" well it all depends on how many Visigoths are attacking

But it appears the 2 Brians (Brian King and Brian R VanCise) got it IMO

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Something else to consider - wakasahi's. Shorter sword, easier to use in a cramped location. A katana or other long sword isn't much use in a doorway.

Just to elaborate on this essentially true statement; a katana is a versatile weapon that can be used in restricted environs ... if you are trained in using it. If you are not, then it is almost as much a danger to the user as it is to the opponent.

Having reached nidan in MJER, I have learned that doorways, low ceilings, narrow corridors do not prohibit effective use of katana. The real problem with using such a weapon is that it is not a terribly effective way to subdue an assailant within the limits of the law - slicing off limbs or opening them up from sternum to crotch is considered excessive in most circumstances.

OP
F

frankieus

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Having reached nidan in MJER, I have learned that doorways, low ceilings, narrow corridors do not prohibit effective use of katana.

But wouldn't be yourself more efficient with two wakasahi instead one katana? specially considerent that intruders don't come alone.

The real problem with using such a weapon is that it is not a terribly effective way to subdue an assailant within the limits of the law

Well... in my country you can legally use an equal force to the attack you're suffering. So if the intruder have no weapons I cannot attack him with the sword without getting in troubles but in this case the threat would be enough to make him run.

Anyway they always come arm so the use of the sword would be legal. At least in my country.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It has been my experience that people consistently underestimate just how hard it is to use two weapons at the same time with any efficiency.

Untrained you will be quite likely to cut yourself trying to use twin wakizashi. You'd be better off with one, leaving your off-hand free for other purposes.

Just to round off the 'theme', we don't mean to sound negative on this but using a weapon you are not trained in (that is not intuitively stick-like in it's employment) is probably a less sound option than making use of the empty-hand training you have.

OP
F

frankieus

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
... but using a weapon you are not trained in (that is not intuitively stick-like in it's employment) is probably a less sound option than making use of the empty-hand training you have.

Yeah, I agree that if I use sharp blades without any experience I might end up killing myself with no intruder help. But my intention with this post was to determine the weapon that would grant me a better strategic solution inside a home and then train in its use.

So far that better choice I should train on seems to be two short/middle one side blades. that is why I thought about the Chinese Butterfly Swords, though I understand that Musashi developed a two swords fight style. right?

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
i may be in the minority here, but out of the legal weapons you mentioned, i would go with a hammer. any bladed weapon runs the risk of getting stuck in the first attacker & leaving you vulnerable to other attackers. it is small enough that you can swing it in close quarters. a good hammer strike will be immediately felt, whereas many victims of stab & slash wounds don't know they were hit. the claw end could be used as a hook to the back of the neck, back of the knee, or the groin. & if you have trained in empty hand martial arts, you can most likely figure out how to swing a hammer without hurting yourself. just my thoughts,

jf

SA_BJJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yes, real sword considered as a collection item.

Spear guns are banned too, even a simple defense spray is illegal in my country, even blowpipes are banned. The cross bow only if for sports. Nonetheless using arrows could be fine for one intruder (assuming you don't miss), but they're always at least two so I don't think it would work.

About the locks and security systems... As I said they wait till you are at home, they only have to wait for some of your family members to go inside home to hold the door and break in... In any case I am not saying that passive security method has not to be there, just that they're not always enough.

Aluminum bat? sure... with some magic spells maybe?
What the hell country do you live in?

OP
F

frankieus

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i may be in the minority here, but out of the legal weapons you mentioned, i would go with a hammer. any bladed weapon runs the risk of getting stuck in the first attacker & leaving you vulnerable to other attackers. it is small enough that you can swing it in close quarters. a good hammer strike will be immediately felt, whereas many victims of stab & slash wounds don't know they were hit. the claw end could be used as a hook to the back of the neck, back of the knee, or the groin. & if you have trained in empty hand martial arts, you can most likely figure out how to swing a hammer without hurting yourself. just my thoughts,

jf
Mmm... you defenitely have a point with the hammer not getting stuck, but then it should be me attacking first cause otherwise I don't see how I can efficiently stop an ax blow with a hammer. I remind you that these guys usually bring a fireman axe with them to break doors just in case you lock yourself up in a room.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
YBut my intention with this post was to determine the weapon that would grant me a better strategic solution inside a home and then train in its use.

Ah, I understand. I had not fully appreciated that you were not just after a hardware 'selection' but would be following up with tuition.

I understand that Musashi developed a two swords fight style. right?

So he did - Hyōhō Niten Ichi-ryū. It is both famous and infamous at the same time. Famous because so many outside of the sword arts have heard of it and infamous because so many claim to teach it when they have no true background in it :D.

By the way, as an aside, your English is excellent. My compliments.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mmm... you defenitely have a point with the hammer not getting stuck, but then it should be me attacking first cause otherwise I don't see how I can efficiently stop an ax blow with a hammer. I remind you that these guys usually bring a fireman axe with them to break doors just in case you lock yourself up in a room.

well first of all, in any home invasion situation it should be you attacking first. whoever strikes first takes the initiative & has an immediate advantage.

second, i think blocking an ax blow with any weapon would be difficult. how is your footwork? whatever the weapon, i think i would try to evade & counter-attack. an ax will have the advantage in reach, but a hammer should be much faster.

sukerkin is correct about your english, btw.

also, anyone who hasn't seen the movie "oldboy" should watch it. it's a great movie, & has an excellent fight scene involving a hammer versus multiple opponents.

jf

OP
F

frankieus

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
second, i think blocking an ax blow with any weapon would be difficult. how is your footwork?

Right, but do not forget you are inside your home, and unless you have Zen decorated house you will find your footwork messing with chairs, tables, sofa... you name it.

Of course stop an axe has to be difficult but with the so far personal choice of two short blades an axe can be "easily" handle like this:

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/109076_wing-tsun-butterfly-sword-defense.htm

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Something else to consider. Many FMA's do a double stick and/or double blade. Might chek into those as well.

zeeberex

Green Belt
Reaction score
Right, I guess many of you would say that the best weapon for home defense would be a shotgun or similar but in my country is virtually impossible to acquire such licenses. Having a firearm without a license grants you years in jail not to mention using it! Even swords cannot be acquire as weapons but as collection item or decoration, so legally speaking if I protect myself with it would be like using a a decorative jar.

Unfortunately thieves have become in these days extremely violent in my country when it comes to break ins; before they would wait for you to be out of home and then would search the house for money and jewels. Now they don't bother, they wait till you are at thome, and then they break in and torture you to force you disclose the location of money or jewels... and you better have something to disclose cause otherwise they won't believe you and you'll have to go through an ordeal.

I guess most of us agree there is no such thing a "best sword" cause it depends on the situation, therefore, I would like to present the most usual scenario in the modern house break ins in my country so that we can discuss about the best weapon for that situation. I am really interested in your point of view since I know many of you are great experts in the field.

Situation to consider (according to police records):

• Two intruders (minimum) breaks into your house.
  • At least one carries a fireman axe (They use it to break doors in case you lock yourself in a room)
  • The other/s usually carry big knifes, knuckle dusters and so on...
  • Occasionally they might bring a handgun though not so common since they know you don't have one at home anyway.

"Weapons" that I can legally purchase in my country:

• Baseball bats.
  • Knifes & Swords.
  • Hammers, Axes, Chainsaw... Any garden tool.

My guess for the best weapon:

• If I use a baseball bat against the axe I am done, so nope... And so it goes for the Hammer or any garden tools that I know.
  • The axe would be a fifty-fifty thing against the guy with the axe and two slow to contain two attackers.
  • The Chainsaw looks terrific in theory but have a few drawbacks that makes it not so good choice:
    • might not work, or take me too much time to make it work.
    • heavy and slow.
    • a blow with the axe on the chainsaw might take the chain out of the rails leaving me with no weapon at all.
  • So that leaves me with a sword/s as best choice...
    • rapier & dagger: with a trapping dagger the rapier might be the best choice for unarmored 1-1 duels, but this is not 1-1 and a good cutting powers seems to me a must in this situations.
    • one long sword: perhaps if I am in the middle of the dinning room they would be the best choice, but if in a small room they could be really hard to maneuver. On the other hand they will be the best to keep away the intruder with the axe. But if I go for one long sword I think it is better a double edge longsword so that I can handle one attacker at 12 and other at 6 ( hitting with the backside edge at 6 and rapidly hitting at 12 without repositioning the blade).
    • two short swords: great for small spaces, perhaps not so great against the axe, but so far imagining myself in that situation the two short swords seems to give me the best options; against the axe I can block and attack at the same time, and against the 12-6 I can use one blade for 12 and the other for 6.
Conclusion: Well I think the best choice is two short single edge swords. So how about two Chinese butterfly swords?

I would really appreciate you answers and help. Thank you very much.

do you mind if I ask what country we're talking about here?

zeeberex

Green Belt
Reaction score
What about a machette? They're like $10 at Walmart near me, sold in the camping area, no questions asked.

Defensive spray substitute - Wasp killer. Long range, burns, is v.bad for them. :)

Also, take some classes in Jodo (not Judo), and learn how to use a Jo, or any short staff type thing like a broom or shovel handle.

Agreed, raid hornet killer and a lighter makes from a poor choice of victim. Otherwise, bear mace?

Latest Discussions