Using a sword for self-defense?

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Swordlady said:
For those of you currently training in any sword art, would you ever consider using your sword for self-defense - especially at home? Personally, I would rather use a bokken, jo, or a similar ranged *blunt* weapon. I would rather avoid the possibility of maiming or killing; a well-connected blow should hopefully incapacitate the intruder. Not to mention that using a sword on an intruder could lead to legal liabilities (something about "excessive force", I think?)

Serious discussion, please. No need for any kind of graphic fantasies; this topic is not advocating senseless violence.

Umm.. Yeah if I used a broadsword against an intruder he'll most likely end up slightly disemboweled or at least have large chunks of muscle severed. I'd definately go for the short staff before the broadsword.

Here's a thought.. What if the intruder had a sword too? How would the law regard self defense with a sword in that case?

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In Japan I am not allowed firearms. So the 15th century sword I have might be used if someone were to try to get into my house.

Oh, and it happend to our next door neighbors. Someone tried to sneak in while they were there. I know a few people that had their downstairs robbed while they were sleeping upstairs. No guns in this country means that the burglers work a little different from those in America. Everyone notices everyone during the day, so breaking in at night, even if you know someone is in the house, seems to be standard.

If someone is in my house, with my family- then they are dead. I would run like hell if it was just me. It is not just a matter of fear- but because I know that like most folks that the idea of killing someone else is just abhorant to me. But there is something about my family that would make me grab the nearest weapon that could do the job best and put aside those concerns for the other guy's life.

Bokken and sticks work well. But they need room to swing to be best used, while the sword can be thrust in with a stab or run across part of the body in a slice. There are a few places in my home where I might have problems getting a decent swing, but with a sword I could always stab or at least keep someone back from me.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Swordlady said:
For those of you currently training in any sword art, would you ever consider using your sword for self-defense - especially at home? Personally, I would rather use a bokken, jo, or a similar ranged *blunt* weapon. I would rather avoid the possibility of maiming or killing; a well-connected blow should hopefully incapacitate the intruder. Not to mention that using a sword on an intruder could lead to legal liabilities (something about "excessive force", I think?)

Serious discussion, please. No need for any kind of graphic fantasies; this topic is not advocating senseless violence.

Having hit people in the hand(s) with a stick and they still hang onto the stick, I have no problems grabbing a sword for self defense in my home. I like the Wakizashi as it is light and small and can be used in hallways. It also can cut an arm and make it much more difficult for a person to controll a gun or some other weapon. Now obviously if they had no weapon and were not charging me or threatening family or those staying with me, I would not just cut them.

It is a decision I have made in the past and am ready to make again in the future. I do not recommend it for others only what I am willing to do.

Erik H

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have heard from a criminal justice instructor that should an intruder break into your home and you happen to kill him with whatever, remember to drag the body back inside if he died outside and always prove to the police that he had a weapon in his hands even if you have to put it there yourself. Where I live, unfortunately, does not have any self-defense laws, but should an intruder break into my home then I would have to assume that he is armed. The first thing I would do is reach for my katana (because I don't own a gun). Gun, katana, crossbow, whatever works for you to be safe...point is I would rather be tried by twelve than carried by six.

Erik H

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
The other thing to bare in mind here is, choice of weapons aside, you don't know what the intruders intentions are. People talk about "burglars this, robbers that", what if their sole intention is rape or murder? Less likely perhaps, but in the defence of my heavily pregnant partner and her 10 year old girl, I'm going down with the maximum scare effect, that doesn't work, sod the law, I know which is more important to me. As Erik said, better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. Stuff that.

Latest Discussions