What to teach during "Free Trial Lesson"?

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
For you school owners/operators and/or instructors, if you offer free trial lesson(s), what do you normally teach during that time? If you only offer one free lesson, what do go through at that time. If you offer a free trial week, what do you teach during that time? Just trying to get a little more educated on what you do keep the student base. Thanks.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Usually in the first lesson, I'd cover some of the basic warmups and stretching. Next move onto a few of the blocks, punches and kicks. If things are going good, then I'd give them a SD tech.

Its important to keep in mind that while you want to give the new student a good taste of what the art is about, its important to remember not to overload them on their first day. While it appears that I'm giving them alot of material on the first day, I always stress to them to remember what they can. Even if it was only one punch, one kick and one block..at least they'd have something to work on, and over time, the rest would come.

If the new student already had a prior background, I'd still take them through the way we did our material. Yes, a punch is a punch, a kick is a kick, but methods of execution may vary. While they may seem like they're getting bored, again, I'd stress the importance of getting the basics down properly.

When it came time for the group class, I'd make sure that I put them with another student. This was not done so that the student can take over the teaching of the material, but to assist them with any basic question that they may have. Kind of like a buddy so that they don't feel like they just got thrown to the lions!!

Mike

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
I usually explain to them that people have many reasons for taking martial arts - self-defense, exercise, development of focus, ect...

I let them know that Kenpo can fill whatever void or ambition they have.

After that, I teach them how to do a neutral bow, a basic punch (e.g. jab), a front kick, and maybe even a basic self-defense technique like Sword & Hammer or Obscure Wing.

Jamie Seabrook
www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I ususally teah them a very lose star block set. I start off teaching the upward block, then inward block then have them put them together, then I just keep adding a block until they have the set finished. I don't tell them thatthese actions are blocks until they have the entire set. I then slowly throw punches atthem so they can see how easy it was to pick up a series of blocks that can be effective.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I usually give two free lessons. I teach star block, triggered salute, lone kimono and five swords. Some people can get it in two lessons; some people don't; but most people are fascinated enough to keep coming back.

O

OC Kid

I usually just put them in a neutral bow , teach them the down block and a front kick and body punch, then let them use it as a combo they dont really learn anything but they think they are and it shows them what the possiblilties are for them.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
MJS said:
Usually in the first lesson, I'd cover some of the basic warmups and stretching. Next move onto a few of the blocks, punches and kicks. If things are going good, then I'd give them a SD tech.

Its important to keep in mind that while you want to give the new student a good taste of what the art is about, its important to remember not to overload them on their first day. While it appears that I'm giving them alot of material on the first day, I always stress to them to remember what they can. Even if it was only one punch, one kick and one block..at least they'd have something to work on, and over time, the rest would come.

If the new student already had a prior background, I'd still take them through the way we did our material. Yes, a punch is a punch, a kick is a kick, but methods of execution may vary. While they may seem like they're getting bored, again, I'd stress the importance of getting the basics down properly.

When it came time for the group class, I'd make sure that I put them with another student. This was not done so that the student can take over the teaching of the material, but to assist them with any basic question that they may have. Kind of like a buddy so that they don't feel like they just got thrown to the lions!!

Mike
MJS has the same approach that I recommend. Especially when it is a new/prospective student. Use your students as examples of the 'family' that the group creates and teach things that leave the person feeling challenged but successful. If you do this, you give them a taste of community/belonging AND a sense that they can 'do it.'

I think the hardest thing is not to 'over sell' in the beginning. "That is what we are all about..." and other such comments or repeating the schedule and rates too early on. Let them just get through it and offer the basic information. Let their questions guide you to what to offer in terms of private/group lessons, rates ...what ever. Avoid the scripted sales pitch that you bull through without awareness of your audience.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd have them watch a couple of classes first. Lower ranks and upper ranks. That way they can see what they will be doing and what they will be doing eventually if they stick with it. You could give them a rough idea how long it will take them to get to the various levels if they practice hard etc. That way tere are no surprises for them. If they are interested in what they see, great, if not, well nice knowing you and thanks for stopping by. If they like what they see, then the free lessons should be pretty much what you guys have already said.

OP
shane23ss

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
These are all great ideas. Do most of you guys/gals offer one free lesson, or a series of some kind?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
shane23ss said:
These are all great ideas. Do most of you guys/gals offer one free lesson, or a series of some kind?

Usually 1 intro. lesson, and 1 group class was included into the intro. offer.

Mike

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
shane23ss said:
I'm in a good place with this stuff because I run a program that is small on purpose. I don't rely on it for income. I do it so that I have incentive to continue training myself and can associate with people that are like minded for a few hours a week.

That said, I have no problem with giving them 2 sessions free to try it out. The first one will help work out the butterflies. The second will let them see how the material from lesson one fits into a larger picture.

It also gives them two chances to be greated warmly and welcomed into a group. You just can't ignore the community aspect and it's impact on how people choose a school.

From my end, it acts as a screening. "If they are really interested ...." and such. Plus, newbies are more likely to be 'really themselves' during a second session than a first. If there is anything really hinky that would make it necessary for me to 'not invite them to join' it gives me time to see it.

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ray said:
I usually give two free lessons. I teach star block, triggered salute, lone kimono and five swords. Some people can get it in two lessons; some people don't; but most people are fascinated enough to keep coming back.
WOW! That seems like a LOT for just two lessons!

Jamie Seabrook
www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I give a free week is which is 2 two hour classes for free. As mentioned earlier I work star Block set the first class, then on the second class I work on Delayed Sword and Sword of Destruction.

They are then offered an intropackeage of 2 months and uniform for $99.00 this gives them the chance to explore the art some more and with out a major out lay of cash.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Seabrook said:
WOW! That seems like a LOT for just two lessons!
It is. It doesn't allow sufficient time for much depth even if the potential student can memorize the movements. I can't say that all 3 techniques get taught in 100% of the cases, but it doesn't seem to discourage anyone from taking lessons.

You know, a person could take a "simple" technique like Lone Kimono and spend a lot of time analyzing it, trying different variations and trying to fathom all of the principles involved. That would be a good meal...I suppose I try to give a couple hors d'oeuvres for the two free lessons.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i'd just show them the Five Point Palm Exploding Heart technique, have them wax my car, then see if they can snatch the pebble from my hand... and then wait for them to sign up before they get the real stuff.

L

LexTalinis

I teach a simple self defense technique, all the stances and strikes I teach that lesson revolve around that one tech. Of course they warm up and excersise with everyone else too, that way they get the feel for a group class. :asian:

C

clapping_tiger

We do things pretty much the same as MJS has. Our school offers 8 free classes good for 1 month, but you get a free uniform if you join after your 3rd free class. The first 2 classes are one on one and cover the basic stances, reverse punch, Ball kick, and basic blocks. We give them 1 technique during each of the one on one classes. Then for the 3rd class they are are put in with the group class and have an upper belt paired up with them to help guide them through the class. That way they have enough material to work out in the group class, and have the full experience of how the class feels before they sign up.

OP
shane23ss

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Do most people here teach 1 or 2 hour classes? Does it differ from private lessons to group?

Latest Discussions