What is NOT being talked about in regards to the Duck Dynasty controversy

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For those of you who don't know anything about this, here's the skinny. One of the members of A&Es popular Duck Dynasty program gave an interview to GQ magazine. In the interview, the interviewee made several anti-gay comments that were religious based and were offensive to a large segment of the population. Now, there is a media circus surrounding this and stores across the country are pulling Duck Dynasty products off the shelves in fear of boycotts and other bad press.

Here is what is NOT being talked about by the media though.

Phil Robertson made comments that a lot of people find highly offensive. These comments are based in scripture. Here are some examples.

http://www.openbible.info/topics/homosexuality

"You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination." Leviticus 18:22

"If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them." Leviticus 20:13

"
Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God." Corinthians 6:9-11

It's pretty clear that Phil Robertson IS repeating a CLEAR prohibition in the Bible. And according to believers, the Bible is the divinely inspired word of God. Therefore, if society and the media finds what Phil Robertson said offensive, they are actually saying that the Christian Scripture and the Christian God is offensive. I find it very interesting that society is piling on Phil Robertson right now and refusing to open this door and acknowledge the source of what it finds offensive.

Christianity, the Christian God, and the Bible is the root of the offensiveness that is causing this media circus. This is what is NOT being talked about. It's far easier to talk about how big of a bigot Phil Robertson is...rather than talking about why he is a bigot in the first place.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those of you who don't know anything about this, here's the skinny. One of the members of A&Es popular Duck Dynasty program gave an interview to GQ magazine. In the interview, the interviewee made several anti-gay comments that were religious based and were offensive to a large segment of the population. Now, there is a media circus surrounding this and stores across the country are pulling Duck Dynasty products off the shelves in fear of boycotts and other bad press.

Here is what is NOT being talked about by the media though.

Phil Robertson made comments that a lot of people find highly offensive. These comments are based in scripture. Here are some examples.

http://www.openbible.info/topics/homosexuality

It's pretty clear that Phil Robertson IS repeating a CLEAR prohibition in the Bible. And according to believers, the Bible is the divinely inspired word of God. Therefore, if society and the media finds what Phil Robertson said offensive, they are actually saying that the Christian Scripture and the Christian God is offensive. I find it very interesting that society is piling on Phil Robertson right now and refusing to open this door and acknowledge the source of what it finds offensive.

Christianity, the Christian God, and the Bible is the root of the offensiveness that is causing this media circus. This is what is NOT being talked about. It's far easier to talk about how big of a bigot Phil Robertson is...rather than talking about why he is a bigot in the first place.

Playing devils advocate here because I don't watch the show and the only information I've read about this matter has been through this forum. But, how often have bigots in the past quoted the bible to justify their beliefs?

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's actually very frequent. The Bible was used to justify slavery. It's one of the reasons why the Abolishinists had such a hard time removing slavery from society. The point that I'm making here is very similar. Christianity is a powerful form of unreason in our society and I think this is something that should be talked about. Our society thinks of Islam as a violent and dangerous religion and people can see that it's unreasonable in many ways. But they don't see how a more "peaceful" religion can be just as unreasonable in their own society.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If your not a Christian then why would anyone give a crap if a Christian says your not going to Heaven. You don't believe in Heaven in the first place or at least a Christian View. That's what I can't understand. Most people crying about his comments are not Christians so why do you care. He didn't call for Gays to be beat or fired or targeted. He was asked what's a sin and he gave several answers including but not limited to being Gay. He didn't say I wouldn't hire a gay male. In fact if you watch his show he and his wife hired a clearly Gay male to take family pictures for them. I'm also positive there must be one or two gay folks in the production staff he deals with. So if your not a Christian why do you care if a Christian says that's a sin? You don't believe in it anyway

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, first...you need to complain to God about that...second...keep in mind that the anti-slavery movement was led by religious people as well...as was the early scientific discoveries and an awful lot of good as well...the non-believers have a bit to answer for during the 20th century...

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There has been some good that has come from religion. It hasn't all been holy inquisitions, genocide, slavery, and witch hunts. I think the development of the human thought processes that created superstitions, religion, astrology and such were the first attempts to help understand and explain the universe around us. Supernatural agency was assigned to natural events that weren't understood at the time. They religion/astrology and the like are the forebearers of modern philosophy and science. Without this stage of our infancy of thought, we may not have progressed to the level of knowledge we have today. I am thankful that we have made it through that stage of our development (so far) and look forward to fascinating discoveries about the real world yet to come.

What an amazing time to live!

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This Christian prejudice isn't benign. It leads to bullying, violence, and it's ingrained in our societies legal code.

The key link that needs to be made is that this is a Christian prejudice.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This Christian prejudice isn't benign. It leads to bullying, violence, and it's ingrained in our societies legal code.

The key link that needs to be made is that this is a Christian prejudice.

Your wrong. True Christians don't judge or bully. Its not our place to judge anyone that's Gods job. I can believe your commiting a sin that doesn't mean I hate you or want to hurt you. If people are using the word of god to do bad things that is also a sin. These same people would bully even without trying to use the excuse of the bible.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Your wrong. True Christians don't judge or bully. Its not our place to judge anyone that's Gods job. I can believe your commiting a sin that doesn't mean I hate you or want to hurt you. If people are using the word of god to do bad things that is also a sin. These same people would bully even without trying to use the excuse of the bible.

The Christian God declared homosexuality as an abomination. Abominations are to be put to death. God specifically KILLS homosexuals.

Wouldn't a true Christian obey all of Gods divinely inspired word?

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Christian God declared homosexuality as an abomination. Abominations are to be put to death. God specifically KILLS homosexuals.

Because of Exodus 22:18, that's what happened to hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions, of "witches."

Drasken

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Actually Abomination meant against cultural tradition. The laws come from Jewish law, and came from a time where people had to bolster their numbers with several children.
Also the original Hebrew didn't refer to Witch as the word is used now. It meant someone who used "magic" to harm or kill another. Magic itself was used by many people including the Holy men and women. In fact there are many stories of kings, and holy men seeking out the wise magicians and seers for advice.
The bible has been changed quite a bit over the years. Not all intentional of course, some came from mistranslation.

As for evil of religion, yes it has happened. But it's not all bad. However when man can convince themselves they are doing God's will, even the most evil of acts can be done with a clear conscience. People try to rationalize their actions in any way possible. Many use God as a scapegoat. Because in their mind, who dares argue with God?

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
OK, if I wrote something like this it would be considered flaming... Anyhow, one interpretation of the Christian Bible would be to believe so. However, there are many ways -- studied and well articulated ones -- to interpret the Bible. Anti-homosexuality was rooted in the Jewish tradition, which made its way into the Bible. My opinion is that moral codes or religious beliefs often originally start with some practical reason in mind. In the case of the Jews, they were a small group surround by hostile camps. A healthy and growing population was necessary for them to prosper. The anti-gay stance remained in the culture, although the reasons for banning it were no longer an issue.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Its not mans job to kill anyone the 10 commandments tells us so. Its Gods job to take action on others.
Like I said just because I disagree with your choices doesn't mean I want to hurt you or think you need to die

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I note the cowardice in many of you, for not attacking Islam for the same thing. BTW, when was the last time a Christian nation executed a homosexual?

Drasken

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I note the cowardice in many of you, for not attacking Islam for the same thing. BTW, when was the last time a Christian nation executed a homosexual?

Islam is attacked all the time for attacks on women, homosexuals, other religions, etc.
In America, however, the biggest thing that we deal with is outspoken Christians using the bible to try and influence our laws to discriminate against people that they don't agree with.
I oppose this wholeheartedly. And you can try and explain it away as "I vote how I believe and that is based on my religion." Well that is all fine and well, but you can't do that and then turn around and talk about how wrong the Muslims are for doing the same thing in their own countries.

If there was nobody fighting against this line of thinking, then we would turn into a Theocracy. Christians complain about a growing Muslim influence in America. But they fail to see that it is the same thing that all of you have been pushing on Non Christians all along.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Except this is a country founded on Christian Principals no matter how much people try to pretend its not.

Drasken

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Except this is a country founded on Christian Principals no matter how much people try to pretend its not.

Study your history. Many of the founding fathers were Atheist and Deist. That whole pesky seperation of church and state thing.

The Middle eastern countries.were based on Islamic principals as well. But we're sure trying to change that due to crimes against human rights aren't we. Countries evolve as do their people.

Latest Discussions