What is Lima Lama?

M

Monkey King

I have an uncle who teaches it in L.A. So I never see him so I can't ask him. I know it's phillipino but that's all I know. He also has a picture of him and Bruce Lee together. I saw that when I saw him last, which was about 1980. Anybody have any info? I know I could do a search on the web but this place is more fun.

OP
F

fist of fury

Fun!!?? here? we will no such talk this is a place for the serious martial arts discussion. ;)

So you uncle met bruce lee! how cool did he ever mention how well he knew him?

OP
M

Monkey King

Limalama, is therefore a derivative of the old systems practiced in the Polynesian islands and that are:

1.Afikau- the study of the traditions single-breasted uniform jackets, specifically the dance.
2. Amofoe- the understanding of the manipulation of the weight, tacticas of balance and changes to desbalancear the weight.
3. Fáaelise- the study of the coordination, balance, reflections, you catch, breakings and falls.
4. Faufusu or Kúikúlga- Movements similar to the fight hand by hand, boxing, or street fight.
5. Luáaga or Léilga- the study of the pressure points, nerves and joints.
6. Milosia- the study of the shipment, execution and application of circular movements like catching the wrists.
7. Pepelu ma Pega- the study of the fight with knives. Be is a conceptual method in the armament use.
8. Uma ma Kaupíi- the study of you catch them, breakings and demolitions.
9. Vaeka ma Kavae- the study of movements like kicks and defense with feet.
10. Tíapega ma Lóu- the study of Kaoía, fights with cane.
11. Tal'amoa- the study of the combination of demas concepts.
12. Upaga ma Lóulóuga- the study of you catch them.
13. Fáakóelau- Movements similar to the free fight, including keys and trips.

The original style was taught of robust and somewhat wild form, reason why it was not accessible to most of people. By such reason, during a time it was reviewed, evaluated and he was subject to numerous modifications, as much in his techniques as in his methods of education.

As of that moment its expansion at world-wide level, but mainly in Mexico began. At the moment Mexico occupies the first world-wide place as far as the number of medical instructors, but due to the lack of unity between the different organizations who direct the Limalama in Mexico has not been able to establish definitively in the place that corresponds to him.

OP
M

Monkey King

instructors_11.jpg

Grand Master of No-Ka-Oi and Master of Limalama, Richard Nunez

OP
F

fist of fury

Kewl how long has been practicing M.A ?

OP
M

Monkey King

Apparently for quite some time. He started in Kung Fu at 17 under Ark Yuey Wong, Received his first black belt under Danny Guzman, developed his skills with Sal Esquivel, Joe Rosas, He also participated in the first Ed Parkers first International Karate Championships. He took first place in Black belt sparring for his age group. This is where he met Bruce Lee.

Grandmaster tuiolosega formed the first Limalama association with Sal Esquivel, Richard Nunez (my uncle) John Marolt, Haumea "tiny" Lafiti, and Sol Kaihewalu. Out of the six original members, my uncle is the only one left still teaching and practicing.

Here is the site:http://www.nokaoi-online.com/nokaoi_site/html/main.htm

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had belived that Sol Kaihewalu was teaching in Orange Calif. He is now teaching laua or is this a different person?
Shadow

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by fist of fury

Fun!!?? here? we will no such talk this is a place for the serious martial arts discussion.

We will no such talk?????? :confused: :confused: :confused:

OP
F

fist of fury

Originally posted by Kirk

We will no such talk?????? :confused: :confused: :confused:
Hey it's not my fault if you can't understand blithering idiot.:D

OP
V

vincefuess

That dwells in the capital of Peru. A mighty fine companion when exploring the ruins of Macchu Picchu.

OP
T

tonbo

Thanks for the breakdown on Lima Lama. That is pretty cool.....I have a tape of Ted Tabura doing some techniques, and, I gotta say, it is pretty good stuff. Just the right mix of circular and linear for my tastes, and I think he moves pretty darn well.

The voiceover, though, could use a little work. The guy sounds like only a cattle prod would bring any excitement into his life....:shrug:

Vince, I think you are thinking of the Lima LLama, a notoriously vicious fighting style practiced in the mountains of Peru, consisting of mostly kicks and spitting at people. The practitioners of this style are frequently found training in wool gis. It has an offshoot style known as "alpaca-do". :rolleyes:

Sorry, couldn't resist.......

"A one-l lama, that's a priest,
a two-l llama, that's a beast.
But I will bet a silk pyjama
you will never find a three-l lllama"

--Unless you are a fireman, of course. :eek:

Peace--

OP
V

vincefuess

You know what I hate? I hate that it actually took awhile for that to soak in!! Sheesh- age, she's a-whuppin' on me... :rofl: :asian:

OP
T

tonbo

Hehe....hey, the only way that I was able to string any of that together was the fact that my wife happens to like llamas (the animal, not the priests)......

And as for the poem, well.....that I lifted from someone else...:eek:

Peace--

Latest Discussions