Physical training for atribute development?

S

sweeper

was wondering how many people in genneral mix physical (non martial) training to develop specific attributes such as strength and speed in with their practice of martial art. In addiion what do you do, how much do you do it and how much do you train technique?

OP
K

Kirk

TO DO LIST:
4 days a week, kenpo.
1 day yard work.
Maintain marriage.
Keep wife happy.
Keep daughter happy.
Be sure daughter knows I'm her daddy.

OP
W

wongfeihung

Great question, Sweeper.

I train for power when I lift weights. F=MA and typically maximum power (F) is attainable at around 75% of your one rep max (M) and, by nature, at maximum voluntary speed (A) of the contraction.

So, say your 1RM is 250 pounds in the close grip bench (a lift I often use because it most closely resembles puching). Typically, you will generate the maximum 'F' (aka power) in the equation with 'M' equal to 185 pounds and 'A' dependant on training, will, mood and the alignment of saturn and the constellation Orion (<-- joking, but it's all mental which is to say, unpredictable).

To get maximum acceleration (A), nervous adaptation must be worked for a period of time using this type of training. It does not come naturally, though some people are more gifted in this area than others. As with all other things, start slowly and build in both intensity and speed.

All of the caveats surrounding plyometric training apply here as well; a little goes a long way and a lot can lead to stress injuries or more gross failures. Never allow the bones to "lock" at the top of the movement, always stop the weight sharply before (like the focus in a punch). Be VERY careful exploding from the bottom of the movement where your joints are typically compromised -- instead feel like a bottle rocket that accelerates very quickly but smoothly and doesn't "jerk" out of the hole. Rack the weight when you can no longer rattle it at the top of the movement.

After a bit of light practice you should be able to begin to add weight. Just don't add the full juice until your body is very used to it. Like plyometrics or heavy squats, once a week is plenty until it's second nature, and don't go over twice a week regardless of how confident you feel. This training is more dangerous than some types, but not any more so than doing singles or doubles on a regular basis.

Lifts to use this balistic training with might include: close grip bench, push press (a "cheater" military press), squats (carefully!), and of course the power lifts like cleans and power high pulls.

Technique and mental state are still top dogs, as far as I'm concerned. But balistic training will do wonders for focus, speed, concentration, explosiveness, connective tissue density, and, of course, power. WIth me the results really blew my mind. I broke through a long held plateau in my 1RM bench and techniques like the no-inch punch were much more satisfying to practice. All competent strength athletes cycle through this type of power training regularly. It's not well used by other people (and especially not the Muscle and Fitness gym experts), but it's well understood and very effective.

There are many many more points but I'll leave it at this. Hopefully some others will chime in as well and hopefully this won't get moved to some other category that gets about 2 hits a month (happened to me before... very frustrating). Great thread.

Travis Roy
www.jrroy.com

OP
V

vincefuess

Early on in my training, my instructor really stressed the developments of good twist-stance skills, initially to enhance development of killer torque, but it became much more than that. Start in a neutral bow, then step thru into a front twist stance WITH PROPER FROM AND ALIGNMENT- then UNWIND back into a neutral bow with controlled power, trying to "snap" into position. Repeat with the other leg- do this as many times as you can stand (not much at first-it burns). Do this forward and backward and on different types of terrain. It will feel awkwad at first, but as you gain skill, you will not believe the difference it will make in your techniques and forms!! This simple drill will enable to develop extraordinary torque very quickly and effectively, as well as improving your ability to maneuver and change direction quickly and effectively. It can be dull, repetitive, and painful- but the payoffs in skill are enormous.

OP
C

Chiduce

Mountain Climbers are good exercises to loosen and relax the knee joints for pre-stretching. They also condition the calf muscles. Qi Gong (excluding the martial gong) exercises for health and fitness are also good conditioning drills for self- awareness, body control of the upper and lower extremities and mental health. Weight Training with light weights performing controlled standing raising, twisting the waist, and lowering exercises, doing reps of 50 to 100 a set helps improve breathing, strength, endurance and stamina! Sincerely, In Humility; Chiduce!

OP
B

bscastro

When possible, i try to combine the physical training with martial arts technique training. For example, using grappling sparring to increase muscular endurance or bag work to increase cardiovascular stamina. However, I also do the following non-martial arts training in my regimen:
1. Weight lifting. I keep it simple: 1. Squat 2. Deadlift 3. Bench Press 4. Military Press. I don't lift too often, maybe twice a week.
2. Calisthenics. I'm a big believer in bodyweight calisthenics for overall conditioning. I purchased matt Furey's Combat Conditioning a few months ago and from my high school days as a rower am convinced of their usefulness. I play around with them. On my martial arts class or weightlifting days, I just do a few to warm-up or to supplement. On my off-days, I sometimes go crazy. Last week, doing sets of 10 push-ups and 15 Hindu squats, I did 30 sets (300 push-ups and 450 Hindu Squats). I then ran 3 miles. It was a great workout.
3. Circuit training: this is a way for me to mix in martial arts and calisthenics. Here is an example (but I mix it up depending on my mood). Basically, 55 seconds on/5 second rest between each round.
a. 8-counts (2 push-ups, and pop up with a squat and back down again).
b. Shadow boxing
c. Mountain climbers
d. Hitting the heavy bag (which is nearby).
e. Hindu Squats
I repeat this set for usually about half and hour.
4. Running. My fiance ran X-country and track in college, and got me into it. I run with her once a week and on my own a couple times.
5. Various sports. I just try to have fun with biking, basketball, and whatever my friends or family are doing.

I used to try to plan my workout regimen, but overall I just try to have fun and fit in what I can. I try to make sure to lift at least once a week and run twice a week and go to my martial arts class when I can (planning a wedding now so sometimes it gets pushed off). Other than that, I try to just make sure to get some time in to workout. Even if it's only 20 minutes of calisthenics.

Good training to all,
Bryan

Latest Discussions