What is it with reality systems and hip throws?

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A basic hip throw (o goshi or koshi guruma) is one of the simplest throws to learn the basic body mechanics for. You don't see it so much in grappling competition because it's tricky to get the setup against a skilled grappler, but against a pure striker or untrained person the opportunities can come up. Before I trained in Judo I would occasionally land a hip throw in sparring against karate and Kung fu practitioners and at that point I was mostly self-taught on the technique.

So would you teach it as part of say a six week SD course?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So would you teach it as part of say a six week SD course?
I won't. I'll teach "single leg" only and nothing else. As long as your opponent moves in toward you, his leading leg will be in your reach. First you learn how to use your hand to pull your opponent's leading leg (let your hand to do your leg job). Later on you learn how to use leg to pull your opponent's leading leg (let your leg to do your leg job). You will then move from "single leg" to "front cut".

Last edited:

Coup De Grâce

White Belt
Reaction score
What's with hip throws? Hip throws are easy to do; consequently, they are among the first throws that students are taught how to do. I've always thought it interesting that an effective counter to any hip throw is simply another hip throw, or some variation thereof.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hip throws are easy to do;
A punch on the face only require 1 contact point. A hip throw will require 3 contact points. In order to do a hip throw, you have to meet the following 5 requirements:

Your

1. 1st contact point - left hand control your opponent's right arm.
2. 2nd contact point - right arm wrap his waist, or under/over hook his left shoulder.
3. 3rd contact point - hip touch below his belly.
4. right foot position in front of his right foot.
5. left foot position in front of his left foot.

You then either

- raise up his body from your low horse stance into high horse stance, or
- use your hip to bounce his belly back and upward.

There are just too many detail in hip throw that most beginners will have problem with.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A punch on the face only require 1 contact point. A hip throw will require 3 contact points. In order to do a hip throw, you have to meet the following 5 requirements:

Your

2. 2nd contact point - right arm wrap his waist, or under/over hook his left shoulder.

You then either

There are just too many detail in hip throw that most beginners will have problem with.
I actually find folks learn the hip throw pretty easily. And they learn fairly quickly what makes it a bad choice, so they learn to avoid it when someone makes it unavailable or too risky. As Tony pointed out, it gets used very little against folks who know how to counter it, for that very reason.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Firemans carry?
I think setting up a firemans carry (kata garuma) would be difficul on someone close enough to be doing a rear naked choke on you. There is(was under the old judo rules) a variation of ippon seio nage were if you are doing a right side seio, your right arm is under the shoulder and gripping, your left hand is down and grabbing the pant leg to prevent uke from shifting hips and stepping round. Simply switch pant grab to squirrel grip.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think setting up a firemans carry (kata garuma) would be difficul on someone close enough to be doing a rear naked choke on you. There is(was under the old judo rules) a variation of ippon seio nage were if you are doing a right side seio, your right arm is under the shoulder and gripping, your left hand is down and grabbing the pant leg to prevent uke from shifting hips and stepping round. Simply switch pant grab to squirrel grip.

You grab the knot of the belt?

I think I did that back in my judo days.

I thought that was mental to represent a squirrel.

Coup De Grâce

White Belt
Reaction score

Your

You then either

What? None of which is the point! Try to stay on topic, OK. Punching is punching; throwing is throwing. Military grappling doesn't teach Kung Fu punching techniques. Kodokan Judo doesn't allow punching, either. A punch in the face is, under many circumstances, NOT going to put a man down; but a hip throw, quite possibly, might. Punches, also, tend not to work well if an opponent is using any sort of handheld weapon (e.g.: a knife). There are 'inside', and 'outside' grappling/striking techniques; you might want to brush up on the subject.

Personally, with the emphasis my own training has placed on the use of handheld weapons, I don't like to extend my arms any more than I have to; and I seldom kick higher than an opponent's waist; and always as a secondary, rather than as a primary, method of attack. Thank you for the little lesson in how to execute a basic hip throw — Something I was, more than likely, using in serious combat before you were born.

By the way, if I'm intruding in your 'little world' or, maybe, 'pissing around your tree', so to speak, I apologize. It wasn't my intention to offend; and, one other thing: I still remember my first several months in a dojo. Most of it involved learning how to fall, then there were grasping methods and foot sweeps, followed by ....... (Yup, you got it!) hip throws. Which, without question, I found to be a lot easier to learn how to execute than the foot sweeps which required much more precise timing. (Which is, probably, 'Why' the military doesn't teach foot sweep — Huh!) ;)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What? None of which is the point! Try to stay on topic, OK. Punching is punching; throwing is throwing. Military grappling doesn't teach Kung Fu punching techniques. Kodokan Judo doesn't allow punching, either. A punch in the face is, under many circumstances, NOT going to put a man down; but a hip throw, quite possibly, might. Punches, also, tend not to work well if an opponent is using any sort of handheld weapon (e.g.: a knife). There are 'inside', and 'outside' grappling/striking techniques; you might want to brush up on the subject.

Personally, with the emphasis my own training has placed on the use of handheld weapons, I don't like to extend my arms any more than I have to; and I seldom kick higher than an opponent's waist; and always as a secondary, rather than as a primary, method of attack. Thank you for the little lesson in how to execute a basic hip throw — Something I was, more than likely, using in serious combat before you were born.

By the way, if I'm intruding in your 'little world' or, maybe, 'pissing around your tree', so to speak, I apologize. It wasn't my intention to offend; and, one other thing: I still remember my first several months in a dojo. Most of it involved learning how to fall, then there were grasping methods and foot sweeps, followed by ....... (Yup, you got it!) hip throws. Which, without question, I found to be a lot easier to learn how to execute than the foot sweeps which required much more precise timing. (Which is, probably, 'Why' the military doesn't teach foot sweep — Huh!) ;)
Actually, I think you and KFW are about the same age.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for the little lesson in how to execute a basic hip throw — Something I was, more than likely, using in serious combat before you were born.
That would be impressive. If I remember correctly, KFW is in his late 60s or early 70s and has been teaching for over 45 years.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kodokan Judo doesn't allow punching, either.
Umm... Atemi Waza?
https://www.amazon.com/KODOKAN-JUDO-ATEMI-WAZA-English/dp/1366614534
Classification of Techniques in Kodokan Judo – Judo Info

A punch in the face is, under many circumstances, NOT going to put a man down;
And often times will.

but a hip throw, quite possibly, might.
And might not.

Punches, also, tend not to work well if an opponent is using any sort of handheld weapon (e.g.: a knife).
Except when it does.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk