What is it with reality systems and hip throws?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
All of this talk of throwing has got me excited so here's what I did with that excitement enjoy.

This one is for you Wang

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here's some more

I probably would have kicked him in the balls afterwards. From first looks, the throw seems to be an A-hole move. It's one thing to do it on a padded service and totally dangerous to do the throw on a hard floor.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And pressure points: Yes Virginia, their are pressure points

You have to undersand when you say pressure points I see this in my head.

I mean if you are doing something different. Thats cool.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ok I'm assuming that this is now an expectation for an African Butt Whooping. I have now seen this technique done 3 times by 3 different people and it always ends the same way. Face meets ground.
and now I know why

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was trying to find some live Mc map. They don't seem to do a heap of live stand up.

Here is some MACP. who seem to do more.

Double underhooks. Double leg takedowns. Basic high percentage stuff.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok I'm assuming that this is now an expectation for an African Butt Whooping. I have now seen this technique done 3 times by 3 different people and it always ends the same way. Face meets ground.
and now I know why

It is not that it doesn't work. I wrote it works. My issue is it is super high risk to get wrong. Judo guys can flip me all over the place with that sort of stuff.

Head kicks work. But if I only have three or four weeks to train a guy and they can't already do head kicks. I probably wouldn't start.

By the way snuck in that vid was a failed hip throw.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are better ways to manage that throw if you are desperate to do it. I will see if I can hunt it down.

Otherwise I still think anything other than turning my back on a guy in a street fight. Even the 1% chance I mess it up will be disastrous.

Here if you get caught you can turn in to a single leg

Great, I love to see your passion. I am glad that you are so into this that you are spending time telling folks what you think will work and what you think are better options. Now, go out and prove it. Otherwise you are just another person spouting theories while disagreeing with the organizations that actually put the systems into place after backing up their theories with hard won experiences. Stay awake for hours and hours while fasting, put on the gear, have people grab you, swing rifles at your head, try to poke you in the chest with bayonet. See what techniques work for you during melee's. Then realize you have very limited time in which to get a lot of life saving and life taking positive training results for your team mates. For every minute of training you must get several minutes or more of value out of it. This will require you to compromise on many subjects. Once you find what works for you under those circumstances and in those environments then grab a hundred untrained personal and put them thru the same physical and mental stressors and test your theories on what works under those type of conditions. Do your theories work for them as well as you? Refine and recruit. I am sure that there are training opportunities within your countries militaries for you to offer proven results. Until then - you asked a question - you received answers...then you argued over the answers you received? Pity that and all the wasted talking about doing.
Good luck
Regards
Brian King

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you use kick and punch, also move in through an angle so you don't have to turn, you can reduce your risk to the minimum.

This looks more like how my throws come about. Doing something else and then suddenly realize "Hey, here's a throw." The only time I plan a throw is if that's all that I'm working on. That is also a safer way to utilize the throw. Make sure that your opponent has very few options to take advantage of in the event that you mess up. Even if that person messed up with the throw, there would be very little that the other person could have done to capitalize on it. A technique should always minimize the risk associated with application of it. I know in some sporting events this is not the case which may explain the variance of how some people approach the hip throw. If you are in a non MMA competition then you pretty much don't have to worry about someone beating the crap out of you after you mess up on a technique. So it's more of a luxury to do things that otherwise would be dangerous to do in a real fight in the street.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It is not that it doesn't work. I wrote it works.
I was just showing how some good throws. I always like to see people who can pull off techniques. During my search I also came across some that were failed hip throw attempts which speaks more to the points you were bringing up. The important thing to know is where one's limits begin and end based on who they are facing.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I still think anything other than turning my back on a guy in a street fight. Even the 1% chance I mess it up will be disastrous.
You can take that risk and bait your opponent to pull you down backward, you then borrow his force, take him down, and give him a top mount. Whenever that you train how to throw your opponent forward, you should also train how to throw him backward. Your opponent's backward pulling can be your advantage.

If your opponent doesn't want to be thrown forward, but he doesn't mind to be thrown backward, you should help him to satisfy his wish.

All throws should be trained in pairs that work in opposite directions.

Here is another example.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are better ways to manage that throw if you are desperate to do it. I will see if I can hunt it down.

Otherwise I still think anything other than turning my back on a guy in a street fight. Even the 1% chance I mess it up will be disastrous.

Here if you get caught you can turn in to a single leg
That clip shows one of the things I like about a hip throw. You can have both hands on his upper body (arms, etc.) and never have to release from the set-up through the end of the throw. If you have control (as Dale shows there), there's little risk when you turn your back.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and now I know why

Seoi nage tends to do that - even happens in Judo competition. We have a technique that uses some similar principles, but we practice it with a pivot, which helps with the fall.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It is one of those rare times I suggest going full street. And going straight for the squirrel grip.

And then the step around.
Why not throw from squirrel grip?(love that term). Pretty easy to off balance someone to get them on their toes, easy enough to do a modified shoulder throw while maintaining that grip.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why not throw from squirrel grip?(love that term). Pretty easy to off balance someone to get them on their toes, easy enough to do a modified shoulder throw while maintaining that grip.

Firemans carry?

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Great, I love to see your passion. I am glad that you are so into this that you are spending time telling folks what you think will work and what you think are better options. Now, go out and prove it. Otherwise you are just another person spouting theories while disagreeing with the organizations that actually put the systems into place after backing up their theories with hard won experiences. Stay awake for hours and hours while fasting, put on the gear, have people grab you, swing rifles at your head, try to poke you in the chest with bayonet. See what techniques work for you during melee's. Then realize you have very limited time in which to get a lot of life saving and life taking positive training results for your team mates. For every minute of training you must get several minutes or more of value out of it. This will require you to compromise on many subjects. Once you find what works for you under those circumstances and in those environments then grab a hundred untrained personal and put them thru the same physical and mental stressors and test your theories on what works under those type of conditions. Do your theories work for them as well as you? Refine and recruit. I am sure that there are training opportunities within your countries militaries for you to offer proven results. Until then - you asked a question - you received answers...then you argued over the answers you received? Pity that and all the wasted talking about doing.
Good luck
Regards
Brian King

Which I imagine is how these techniques get there in the first place. Someone suggests an issue but is wrong because because he isn't the instructor.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A basic hip throw (o goshi or koshi guruma) is one of the simplest throws to learn the basic body mechanics for. You don't see it so much in grappling competition because it's tricky to get the setup against a skilled grappler, but against a pure striker or untrained person the opportunities can come up. Before I trained in Judo I would occasionally land a hip throw in sparring against karate and Kung fu practitioners and at that point I was mostly self-taught on the technique.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was trying to find some live Mc map. They don't seem to do a heap of live stand up.

Here is some MACP. who seem to do more.

Double underhooks. Double leg takedowns. Basic high percentage stuff.
Both MCMAP and the MACP have standup sparring and competitions, although not all soldiers or marines go past the minimum required training to participate at that level.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Both MCMAP and the MACP have standup sparring and competitions, although not all soldiers or marines go past the minimum required training to participate at that level.

So I can't mock marines by telling them they grapple from their knees?

It was mostly to see if they were pulling off hip throws live. Because I am a machine at hip throws in drills. But as soon as people shift their hip I get caught.

I saw some of the MACP comps which looked pretty decent. But i doubt all of those guys have been training for a few weeks either

Latest Discussions