What is a Master of Tapi-Tapi

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know who they are, and for those who do not they can check this site: http://www.modernarnis.net/about/master.shtml

Once again I would like to discuss what the title is and the expectations and how they effect Modern Arnis. This is not about anyone personal.

Thank you

Rocky

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am sure my opinon of a Slappy Happy Master would get me kicked off this digest........

So If you got nothing good to say.......

Rocky

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
I know who they are, and for those who do not they can check this site: http://www.modernarnis.net/about/master.shtml

Once again I would like to discuss what the title is and the expectations and how they effect Modern Arnis. This is not about anyone personal.

Thank you

Help me out here: I thought tapi-tapi was either a rice pudding, or piece of Samoan habidashery. Do you have any descriptions of what tapi-tapi is, that one might better understand what a master of it has accomplished?

Regards,

Dave

Phadrus00

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
Help me out here: I thought tapi-tapi was either a rice pudding, or piece of Samoan habidashery. Do you have any descriptions of what tapi-tapi is, that one might better understand what a master of it has accomplished?

I believe it is a term that has several different contextual meanings. I have pulled one out here from Wikipedia in the Modern Arnis entry (Rich please feel free to correct me on this from a Modern Arnis perspective):

Wikipedia said:
Training covers empty-hand self-defense (striking, locking, throwing, etc.) as well as the trademark single and double stick techniques of the Filipino martial arts. Other aspects of the art include espada y daga (sword and dagger fighting), sinawali (double stick weaving patterns), and tapi-tapi (locking drills with the stick). In addition to partner drills, Modern Arnis includes the use of anyos (kata), solo forms both with and without the stick. Emphasis is placed on fitting the art in with a student's previous training ("the art within your art"), smoothly reacting to changing situations in the fight ("the flow"), and countering the opponent's attempt to counter strikes directed at him ("tapi-tapi"). Practitioners are called arnisadors or Modern Arnis players.

I looked up Tapi Tapi in Grandmaster Dionisio Canate's "Espada y Daga" book (it has a whole section! *grin*) and he defines it as:
Grandmaster Dionisio Canate said:
Another aspect in the Doce Pares system that makes it different from the others aside from it's being an asemblage of various styles of Eskrima is it's highly specialized form of the "alive hand".

Popularly known as "tapi-tapi" the name has it's roots from the word "tapi" which means "to tap, punch or touch". In applying it as a technique, it means "to oppose, meet or contain the attacking force for the purpose of stopping, monitoring, neutralizing and/or reversing the same". It is also commonly called as "sticky hand" or a "check" for short.

Tapi-Tapi in the generic sense is about countering the opponents attacks with your "alive hand" and controlling his options.

Rob

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:

Regards,

Dave

Dave,

Please check this thread: http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11067, as it has a list of other threads including some on Tapi-Tapi in relationship for Drill work etcetera.

Yet, from how I have seen it used by those who have the title (* No disresepct meant *), it seems to represent more then just a drill.

Hence my question on the title.

:asian:

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Phadrus00 said:
I believe it is a term that has several different contextual meanings. I have pulled one out here from Wikipedia in the Modern Arnis entry (Rich please feel free to correct me on this from a Modern Arnis perspective):

I looked up Tapi Tapi in Grandmaster Dionisio Canate's "Espada y Daga" book (it has a whole section! *grin*) and he defines it as:

Tapi-Tapi in the generic sense is about countering the opponents attacks with your "alive hand" and controlling his options.

Rob

Rob,

As to the Canete and Doces Pares I cannot speak in detail and will not in short. There are others on this site that could do so in another thread in the General FMA section (* Hint: Feel free to start a thread there :) *) much better than I could.

As to the meaning, I would think one could search this site and the site I linked in first as well as the Tech thread I linked in the post before this one.

Yet I think GM Remy meant the Master's of Tapi Tapi as more than a master of a drill. Just as a Datu in Modern Arnis cannot be a Spiritual Leader, but still could be a leader.

:)

Phadrus00

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Rob,

As to the Canete and Doces Pares I cannot speak in detail and will not in short. There are others on this site that could do so in another thread in the General FMA section (* Hint: Feel free to start a thread there :) *) much better than I could.

Hehehehehe... Thanks Rich.. I may just do that! It is actually a VERY interesting subject!

Rich Parsons said:
As to the meaning, I would think one could search this site and the site I linked in first as well as the Tech thread I linked in the post before this one.

Thank you! I'll take a look!

Rich Parsons said:
Yet I think GM Remy meant the Master's of Tapi Tapi as more than a master of a drill. Just as a Datu in Modern Arnis cannot be a Spiritual Leader, but still could be a leader.

:)

I was muddling this as I wrote my first post. It would seem that the "spirit" of Tapi-Tapi beyond the pure mechanics of inserting the "Alive Hand" is defening and countering your opponent simultaneously. It is having the skill to not only block but to prevent the counter to that block which is much more comprehensive. I find that teaching "checking" requires developing in the students the ability to deconstruct the initial flailing out of hands ("DON'T HIT ME!") and keep the "Alive Hand" in a neutral position and then Teaching how to move that now "Cognitive" hand to meet the opponents attack simultaneously with your defending move (stick block, empty hand block, etc.).

Now I normally think of my "Alive Hand" in the context of stick-work but as I reflect on it one could argue that any time you use two hands to defend against an attack you are using the same principles. So when I strike the oppoents arm using gunting, or strike the ribs while sliping the cross, or cutting the arm while defending the blade or even parrying and checking the arm during knife-flow drills. All of these techniques rely on being able to consciosly coordinate one hand with the other to reduce your opponents ability to attack you and counter your defence.

Perhaps Mastery of this Principle is what the title denotes..

Rob

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
From what I have come up with on tapi tapi--

Arnis Detranka was the art & Remy was to release a 10 tape set.
He resinded the set & this is where Delanys picks up from 11-15
Tapi tapi. Now on the Detranka set had Left & right tapi tapi drills.
It was not a compleat art just drills like figure 8 or pity patty.

It has come to my attention from these people --they are under the impression that ==Tapi tapi was the heighest form of arnis.
I will not say who told me, but you can talk to tapitapi
players & see if they confirm it to be thier understanding of the term of Tapi Tapi.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I asked Remy one time after one of his summer camps when we should teach Tapi Tapi, and he told me from the begining. Upon further questioning why, he told me that found within that drill series was all of the art.

So I have taken it that the MoTTs were masters or leaders of the art.

Which IMHO I believe that they have fullfilled that role, I think they are leaders in MA. I mean I believe that they all are still teaching and promoting the art, they take part in teaching at seminars etc. etc. (within their organizations etc. etc.), so I believe they are leaders. GM Remy bestowed the title on them and who should take it away from them.

However this is not to say that they are the best, most skilled, most gifted, inheirators of the art or anything. I believe they are leaders and they know what they are talking about, and have skill in the Professor's later stages (and for some, early stages of MA devlopment). There are other skilled MA players out there that are leaders in their own right in regards to MA as well (like the Datu's, his kids, the Masters in the PI etc. etc.).

So it's all good.

Mark

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
According to the press release issued early September 2001, it is defined thusly:

The second order of business was the declaration by Professor Presas for the award of Master of Tapi-Tapi, within the art of Modern Arnis. The following IMAF members (in alphabetical order) were recognized with this award: (1) Jeff Delaney, (2) Chuck Gauss, (3) Jim Ladis, (4) Gaby Roloff (Germany), (5) Randi Schea, M.D., (6) Ken Smith, (7) Brian Zawilinski.

In conjunction with this ceremony, several of the above named recipients were also promoted the award of Master rank having been promoted to 5th degree black belt status: (1) Jeff Delaney, (2) Chuck Gauss, (3) Gaby Roloff (Germany), (4) Ken Smith.

Professor Presas then proceeded to highlight and differentiate the status of Master of Tapi-Tapi versus rank. The Master of Tapi-Tapi as declared by Professor Presas, is for "recognition for having achieved the highest level of proficiency in the art of Modern Arnis" since its creation in 1957, and its introduction in 1975. These individuals have been recognized for their continued support, training, and their ability to pass on Modern Arnis in its current form, focus, and philosophy, as advocated by Professor Presas.

The Master of Tapi-Tapi recognition is separate from and above rank and represents proficiency status within the art of Modern Arnis. It is an achievement award to its recipients to ensure the longevity and legacy of Modern Arnis. It is a declaration of commitment by the recipients to continue to keep Modern Arnis open and active for its practitioners. It is an honor and responsibility of the highest level awarded by Professor Presas.

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Mr Hubard That was way cool;
I never knew that.I am glad to see such.
I was going off the Detranka set I clipped for you as that
was new to me also.Here on 2 section only were tapi tapi & I
beleave I sent you clips.Here I hope you see were it could be missleading & realy not explaining any more the for the
Left & right side drills.
I dont mean any offence to the tapi tapi player.
I only wanted to know if it was as they say.
I thank you for confirming that.

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Boar Man said:
I asked Remy one time after one of his summer camps when we should teach Tapi Tapi, and he told me from the begining. Upon further questioning why, he told me that found within that drill series was all of the art.

So I have taken it that the MoTTs were masters or leaders of the art.

Which IMHO I believe that they have fullfilled that role, I think they are leaders in MA. I mean I believe that they all are still teaching and promoting the art, they take part in teaching at seminars etc. etc. (within their organizations etc. etc.), so I believe they are leaders. GM Remy bestowed the title on them and who should take it away from them.

However this is not to say that they are the best, most skilled, most gifted, inheirators of the art or anything. I believe they are leaders and they know what they are talking about, and have skill in the Professor's later stages (and for some, early stages of MA devlopment). There are other skilled MA players out there that are leaders in their own right in regards to MA as well (like the Datu's, his kids, the Masters in the PI etc. etc.).

So it's all good.

Mark

Mark,

Thank you, this is the type of personal post I was hoping for. Now to get a few more. :)

Thanks!

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
According to the press release issued early September 2001, it is defined thusly:

Now Bob,

Why did you have to bring history and docuemented press release into this. ;)

Seriously, this is also what was kind of looking for.

Thanks

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:

Hey Bob,

This was an IMAF press release correct? Who issued it Delaney or Schea?
Or was it issued by both? Was it written by the Professor before his death or by someone else after his passing?

These statments are interesting :

Professor Presas then proceeded to highlight and differentiate the status of Master of Tapi-Tapi versus rank. The Master of Tapi-Tapi as declared by Professor Presas, is for "recognition for having achieved the highest level of proficiency in the art of Modern Arnis" since its creation in 1957, and its introduction in 1975. These individuals have been recognized for their continued support, training, and their ability to pass on Modern Arnis in its current form, focus, and philosophy, as advocated by Professor Presas.

The Master of Tapi-Tapi recognition is separate from and above rank and represents proficiency status within the art of Modern Arnis. It is an achievement award to its recipients to ensure the longevity and legacy of Modern Arnis. It is a declaration of commitment by the recipients to continue to keep Modern Arnis open and active for its practitioners. It is an honor and responsibility of the highest level awarded by Professor Presas.

I have always found it very interesting in the changing of titles within Modern Arnis. From Master, Senior Master, Datu and Master of Tapi Tapi.
I will say that everyone I have met at every level has been great! :) It does not matter to me whether you are unranked, ranked, Master, Senior Master, Datu, Master of Tapi Tapi, it is always enjoyable to cross sticks with someone trained in Modern Arnis!
icon10.gif

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Palusut said:
Should be around Nov 2000.
This was correct.

Please see this post from Datu Tim Hartman.

Bob, Its scary that you could remember the month and year when Tim posted this.

- Palusut

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So, we have a better definition of the last Title used my the Late GM Remy Presas. This title was better documented on the internet.

Thank you for those who replied here and for that might still reply. :)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian R. VanCise said:
Hey Bob,

This was an IMAF press release correct? Who issued it Delaney or Schea?
Or was it issued by both? Was it written by the Professor before his death or by someone else after his passing?

Hi Brian,
The original PR is quoted here:
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=308 Post #4 I believe.
The copy on Jeff's site went through several revisions afterwards.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Palusut said:
This was correct.

Please see this post from Datu Tim Hartman.

Bob, Its scary that you could remember the month and year when Tim posted this.

- Palusut
Some things are burned into ones brain....though I knew roughly the month, then played with the search function for a bit til I found it. :)

Latest Discussions