What is a black belt test in your art like?

R

rainbows

1) How long (approximately) is a test for 1st degree black belt in your style with, say, two students testing?
About 4 hours.
2) Who tests you?
A panel of 6 4th dans from my organisation.
3) In what manner is the test conducted?
It starts with a hard warm-up, then straight into patterns. All patterns to 1st dan. (Saja Jiruki, Saja Makgi, Chon-Ji - Choong-Moo). Then combinations (techniques from patterns, basics and LOTS of kicks). Then self-defence (demonstrate escapes from wrist locks, headlocks, throat grabs and more). Then sparring (8 individual fights, 2 2 on 1s, 1 3 on 1, 3 minute rounds). Then breaking (just found out the other day, it's going to be back side kick (3 boards), turning kick (2 boards), jumping side kick from parallel stance (1 board)). And last of all theory. All terminology, meaning of patterns, theory of power etc. It is a group test, about 40 people in total grading in groups of 8. (It's a national test). It's going to be a closed test this year. And followed straight by a tournament.
4) Besides application of technique, are their any other requirements? (words/phrases in foreign languages, culture etc.)
Theory, but that's about it. No thesis for us.

My 1st dan test is in 3 weeks... :erg: :asian:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
A question if I may. You stated "The head instructor and his instructor, closed doors and no one else comes in or out. " Does this mean:.
Absolutely brother Rich ask away.

1) All those there at the beginning of the test are allowed to watch but unable to leave?
There are different groups of people. The last time there was a test the first degree's all tested on friday night. Myself and someone else tested for 2nd the following morning. There were 7 students and the 2 instructors giving the test friday. Then the 2 of us and the 2 instructors saturday. In the case of last year there were a handful of 1st's and 1 second. The 2nd testee had to do his material on the 1st's. They were all there to watch and participate in the same test.
2) Only the testers are allowed in the testing area, an no family and friends.
That's correct. Only the testers. No camera's, no spectators.
Just curious, as I see reasons for both sides depending . . .
I don't necessarily agree with this either but :idunno: have to play by the rules :) . Having been in a situation with my 1st martial arts instructor and failing someone for brown in front of his entire family, friends, fellow students, and other instructors was tough. Of course the camera's were out (video and snap shot) mind you. It was a trying experience nonetheless. On the other side friends and family would like to see you make the pass the tests and be there for you as well. So each side has draw backs.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
I don't necessarily agree with this either but :idunno: have to play by the rules :) . Having been in a situation with my 1st martial arts instructor and failing someone for brown in front of his entire family, friends, fellow students, and other instructors was tough. Of course the camera's were out (video and snap shot) mind you. It was a trying experience nonetheless. On the other side friends and family would like to see you make the pass the tests and be there for you as well. So each side has draw backs.

Thanks JF.

Yes, it is hard on the people when they fail in front of others, but many want to have theri family there to see as well. Sometimes having the family there makes them nervous, but as the test could be looked at as a stress test, then this could go both ways again. Then again every day should be a test of your skill and capabilities, so that your instructor knows where you stand, which would allow for the arguement of the instructor just handing a person their rank.

Like I said I can see the benefits and negatives to these.

Thanks

A

AnimEdge

Though i will not be up for it for another 4 Years (avg to get BB in AN is 5 years)

We had about 2 people up for testing over Winter so here is the Geist based on 1 testing:
1)(Test of Skill)Techs is about a 1-2Hour Demonstrating Every Tech they know
1000 Word Essay
(Test of Heart) 3-Hour Straight Sparring (Starts Slow ends up Brutal)

2)Generally Everyone (Non-BB are asked to help in the Test of Skill) and only BB in the Heart Test

Something to look forward to :p
Price? I think you just have to pay for the belt

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
Sorry, it still doesnt make sense on why the "lower" black rankers spend more time?
Well. I guess by the time you pass the lower, longer ranked tests, your physical skill and stamina should no longer be in question. Instead, your internals, tactics and strategy as well as your ability to demonstrate what you have learned are more important. And those don't take as long to test.

Shizen Shigoku

Purple Belt
Reaction score
"Take off that damn ratty old green belt! It looks disgusting. Here wear this new black-colored belt instead."

Reactions: MJS

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Show that you know the two dozen or so required techniques.

Show that you know the referees calls (all Japanese).

Show that you know the forbidden competition moves.

Fight other black belt wannabees.

If you win enough times you get your black belt. Luckily points accumulate if you are unable to beat everybody else on the day, so you can keep taking tests once a month.

Shizen Shigoku

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I love how I got dinged with negative reputation points for sharing my blackbelt experience.

Was it because of my racy language? Or do people just not like the fact that I had to wear a green belt for six years before being promoted to shodan?

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Loki said:
1) How long (approximately) is a test for 1st degree black belt in your style with, say, two students testing?

2) Who tests you?

4) Besides application of technique, are their any other requirements? (words/phrases in foreign languages, culture etc.)

~ Loki
1.) For the Sho-dan test the individual is observed for a period of 5-6 months. The "final" test is completed in the last two weeks, at 2 hours per session and 2 sessions per week.

2.) The head instructor and at minimum 3 black belts.

3.) Each session covers one area. Self-defense, basics and endurance, sparring, and the final session is the 50 man fight. So technically there are two that cover sparring, but one is more of a how to spar session and the other is the "get with it" session.

4.) All black belts must have a basic understanding of Japanese language, history of style and other MA's, have basic teaching skills, be of good reputation, and a beginning knowledge of weapons.

The real kicker for our school is the use of the 50 man fight. It is a true tell-all of who has it inside to be a BB. The tests for upper dan rank varies , but has the same basic fromat as above.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Depends. Approximately half hour for each, depending on what the judges want to see.

2) Who tests you?
4th Dans and above can judge. But your Instructor may not judge you. He may sit with the judges, but his score doesn't count.

For 1st Dan testing: Palgue Chil and Pal; free fight at least twice (you must show you can contact without causing accidents); do at least one break. If you do only one break, it better be a good break-either a good power or a good technique break. Generally, the fancier breaks are left for the 2nd and 3rd Dans.
1st Dan testing is just a demonstration of your mastery of basic technique. As such, you won't be doing anything fancy unless you are exceptional.

2nd and 3rd Dan testing:
Same as above, but doing Koryo, Kumgang, Taebaek, and Pyongwon form. For form and free fighting, you must demonstrate superb technique. Breaking should demonstrate the higher techniques of Tae Kwon Do, especially if you are younger and athletic. It should be stressed: if you cannot perform the physical techniques, you cannot test for 2nd or 3rd Dan regardless of how long you have been coming. In extreme cases (disease, injury, surgery etc.) you may paper test, but only once.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess I can chime in with ours, although its a bit different from most. In our school a black sash pretty much means your now a beginner and can start learning true kung fu. We have black sashes in our school, but CMA generally dont put much stock in belts or sashes. The organization we belong to has a national test which is more focused on fighting and can only be taken by invitation and after acheiving black level in any of the schools. Its pure fighting focused and is more respected than the school testing. Ok enough talk.....

Loki said:
It really varies, I just took the test this past weekend and we finished in 3 hours.

Loki said:
2) Who tests you?
My sifu alone. Other advanced students are there to help with the fighting, but only sifu judges.

Loki said:
Not sure I understand this question either. The basic schedule is, horse stance, run, forms, fighting.
For Black 1 the requirements are:
10 min horse stance (with staff across the knees)
5 Mile Run (9 minutes per mile)
All 7* forms known (can vary from person to person, usually doesn't though. I had to do 7 empty hand and 6 weapon. They have to be full power, full speed, full energy.)
Fighting (begins like slow chi sau and increases in speed and power. I fought 5 other advanced students and then my sifu. Basically its a measure of your skill, techniques and feel, then with sifu its about him pushing you to your max level and then picking it up a notch for about 10 more minutes. If your not having to push yourself, its not a true test. Lots of people throwing up during this part. There is no padding for the fighting, and we wear shoes. All of the test is done back to back, no resting. No one is allowed to watch the testing except advanced students who are helping with the test. I didn't get a video of this last one, but I have for several of them. It actually helps to watch the fighting afterwards and critic it. Normally we sit down with sifu after the test (a few days) and talk about the fighting.

Thats pretty much it, its a gut wrentching experience, the fighting is by far the worst part, although its also the best part! :)

7sm

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Shizen Shigoku said:
I love how I got dinged with negative reputation points for sharing my blackbelt experience.

Was it because of my racy language? Or do people just not like the fact that I had to wear a green belt for six years before being promoted to shodan?

Probably nothing to do with you, someone is just getting up on the wrong side of the bed. :( I got dinged too for no reason. TW

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shizen Shigoku said:

:uhyeah: , I thought it was fine. Most often people are worried about testing for each individual belt and so forth. It's kinda funny that your instructor handed you the belt. You don't see that everyday that's for sure. I for one thought that black would have been a little more involved but :idunno: it doesn't matter to me what your instructor does. I could see handing a belt over during the under ranks but that's your instructors decision. :asian:

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I guess I can chime in with ours, although its a bit different from most. In our school a black sash pretty much means your now a beginner and can start learning true kung fu. We have black sashes in our school, but CMA generally dont put much stock in belts or sashes. The organization we belong to has a national test which is more focused on fighting and can only be taken by invitation and after acheiving black level in any of the schools. Its pure fighting focused and is more respected than the school testing.

Yes, I had studied in one that black sash was a beginner. It was part of the uniform and not a whole-heartenly rank issue. Ironically, any instructor wore yellow sashes. there were not any "color" representations in between.

I often get disgiusted when I see "Gong Fu" schools open and use a "color sash" system very similiar to Karate systems. Yuk.

Shizen Shigoku

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ok, so that's not exactly how I got my belt, but from the look on my former teacher's face, I knew that's what he was thinking.

Here's how it actually went down:

I had been a green belt for about six years. In my system we only have three belts: white, green, and black. I trained for a couple years at one dojo then moved to another city and trained at new dojo in the same system.

What usually goes on in this system, is that every training session is a test, one is watched constantly, and rank is awarded when the instructor feels the time is right. Some use formal tests - most don't.

Well, I was at a seminar a couple months ago with my current teacher, his teacher, and my former teacher from my old dojo. When I saw my old teacher, he looked at me weird, looked down at my nasty old ratty green belt and asked me my rank; I told him, and we went on to mingle and train with people from all over the state for about 5 hours.

At the end of the seminar, my former teacher, my current teacher and my current teacher's teacher decided by committee that I should be promoted to black belt based on the skills and heart I demonstrated that day and in training sessions during the past five years.

But as far as I'm concerned, they were just tired of seeing me wearing an old nasty belt for years and years.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
My test was about 7 hours long, and sadly, was just a money maker, as the fees are split among those that do the testing. No one fails, or probably has a chance of failing, unless they have a complete melt down. It is a good workout, but, that's all it was. There was enough high ranking people that a little seminar could have gone on, I mean, one pays enough for their test, and what do you get--badgered by higher ranking people and A $5 belt!

Latest Discussions