What if you just train one technique for the next 2 years?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Same for sweeps. But the issue isn't that they need to learn it, it's that they need how to deal with it. But if you spend enough time dealing with kickers, at some point you'll learn how to kick.
They can't learn it because they spent so many years punching in the context that only punching is allowed. Their boxing skills and approach would no longer be boxing if they had to learn how to deal with kicks. Their stances would change and they would no longer use the boxing footwork

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That single technique that you have developed in 2 years will be the trunk of a MA tree that you try to grow. For any technique that you have developed, you may find many different ways to

- set it up (tree root),
- finish (tree leafs).
- set up your next technique (tree branches).
This makes the assumption that the person will actually explore the technique vs training the technique as is. It also makes the assumption that the person has the ability to see the technique beyond what is taught. We already see examples of this in WingChun discussions.

Perfect example.
30 years of Jow Ga training, but not 30 years of exploring (the exploring he does was from a book study point of view. People who "study kung fu" but not how to fight using kung fu.) This isn't to speak badly of him, it just to highlight that 2 years of training may not get you the results that you want in terms of being able to use something.

Even in your statement you say "you may find many different ways to..." It's also equally realistic that a person may spend 2 years and not find different ways.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
They can't learn it because they spent so many years punching in the context that only punching is allowed. Their boxing skills and approach would no longer be boxing if they had to learn how to deal with kicks. Their stances would change and they would no longer use the boxing footwork
All of that is true, and they wouldn't be as effective in a boxing match. But they could still find ways to deal with it without adding sweeps or legs into their technique, and adapting what they already know.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This makes the assumption that the person will actually explore the technique vs training the technique as is.
If you spar 15 rounds daily with different training partners, also if you have a teacher who can give you proper advice, this training method should work.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm torn on this. On the one hand, boxers don't really have that many tools in their toolkit, but they do pretty darn good with them. Take someone who's done boxing for ten years, and I guarantee you they've got about this many reps on each of their jab, cross, hooks, and uppercuts. And I don't think there's much more than that.

On the other hand, the concept of resistance training comes up...but how do you provide resistance training if you do not know how someone else would resist? For example, if I go to a boxing gym and practice for 10 years, I'll know how to respond to any dodge, duck, dip, dive, or dodge. But I'll be completely clueless when they counter with a push kick or by grabbing my arm, because I won't have been prepared for that counter.

Now, I could be wrong (I haven't actually trained boxing, just using it as an example). But if you're going to practice for resistance, then those you're practicing with must be able to adequately provide that.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you spar 15 rounds daily with different training partners, also if you have a teacher who can give you proper advice, this training method should work.
I wish I could have done 15 rounds of sparring daily. Not sure if my body could hold up to the punishment.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Now, I could be wrong (I haven't actually trained boxing, just using it as an example). But if you're going to practice for resistance, then those you're practicing with must be able to adequately provide that.
This is correct, and preferable someone outside of the system you train should be the resistance.

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
Assume you just train one technique for the next 2 years such as "a kick to the knee followed by a punch to the face". If you repeat this combo 2,000 times daily with your partner (about 2 hours), in 2 years you have repeated this 2 x 365 x 2000 = 1,460,000 times.

After you have drilled this move almost 1.5 million times, when you use it against your opponent, your successful rate should be high. IMO, it's worthwhile to spend 2 years of your life time to develop some dependable MA skill so you can use it for the rest of your life.

What's your opinion on this?
I would stand in front of a mirror and do 1000 snap punches everyday for 2 years. After 2 years my snap punch was as fast and accurate as any martial artist or boxers jamb I had ever personally seen, except Jack Hwang (Hwang Sae Jin), I am not sure he was human.The first time I saw him, I think he was 42 and was so amazing I could hardly believe my eyes. I wonder how many million snap punches he perform to become that fast.

Jeff Webb

White Belt
Reaction score
Assume you just train one technique for the next 2 years such as "a kick to the knee followed by a punch to the face". If you repeat this combo 2,000 times daily with your partner (about 2 hours), in 2 years you have repeated this 2 x 365 x 2000 = 1,460,000 times.

After you have drilled this move almost 1.5 million times, when you use it against your opponent, your successful rate should be high. IMO, it's worthwhile to spend 2 years of your life time to develop some dependable MA skill so you can use it for the rest of your life.

What's your opinion on this?
Learn Dim Mak! or hope you never run into the person who's been practicing the counter to your one move :)

Last edited: