What "exotic" food do you crave?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have to ask ... having read up on what it is, why go through so much trouble to prepare a fish that tastes absolutely wonderful cooked without the use of hazardous chemicals?

At the time, it was a way of preserving fish with a commonly available substance (wood ash from cooking fires) for winters when the outside conditions would mean food supplies would be limited.

As far as why folks in Minnesota and Wisconsin continue to eat it...well...

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/people-places/Scandinavians-Strange-Holiday-Lutefisk-Tradition.html

OP
DennisBreene

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Carol, shhhh... don't tell da Norveegins. Dey don't know.

OK - somebody has to do it - post the Ole and Lena joke

Ole and Lena had Mr. and Mrs. Thorvald over for lutefisk. Lena knew that Mr. Thorvald liked his lutefisk with lots of melted butter and black pepper. After the company had gone home, Lena made a terrible discovery. She had served Mr. Thorvald gunpowder instead of black pepper! Vell, it vas too late to call or go over, so Lena lay awake all night worrying. Early the next morning she called da Thorvalds. "Oh Mr. Thorvald" said Lena, "I've done a turrible ting. Last night I served you gunpowder instead of black pepper in the lutefisk." "Oh tank Gud" said Mr. Thorvald. "Dot explains it all!." "Explains what?" asks Lena. Mr. Torvald said "Vell, vhen ve got home last night, I bent over to tie my shoe and shot da cat."

umm. Its OK, I'm bi-cultural and scandehoovian. And I have lots more Ole and Lena... be afraid. Be very afraid.

Ok, a slight divergence from topic but as my in-laws had Norwegian roots (Stavanger) there were often jokes about Norwegian and Swedish Rivalries. Two neighboring towns; one predminantly Norwegian and the other Swedish prided themselves on their hard fought high school football games. One game was particularly contentious and tempers got hot. The Norwegian teem finally got fed up, stormed off the field and went home. Four plays later the Swedes scored.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Since we are already off topic a bit..

Every year for the 17th of May parade the Swedes line up on one side of the road for the parade, the Norwegians on the other. Then, the Swedes throw firecrackers at the Norwegians. Then, the Norwegians light the firecrackers and throw them back

A Swede, a Norwegian and a Dane were arrested in France during the French revolution. They each got to choose which way they would die. The Norwegian chose the guillotine, because he saw it as the latest fashion. His head went under, but the blade stopped 1 inch from his neck. The French saw this as a sign from God or something and decided to let him go. The same thing happened to the Dane. Then they asked the Swede how he wanted to die. "I think I'll die by hanging, that guillotine doesn't work anyway," he said.

A Swedish road-worker was hired to paint the line that goes down the center of the road. The first day he managed to paint 2 kilometers, and his boss was very pleased. The next day he only painted 200 meters, but his boss thought that he'd probably started off too hard on the first day. But on the third day he was only able to paint 20 meters. The boss called him into the office and demanded an explanation. "Well, you see it's getting so darn far to walk all the way to the paint bucket," the Swede explained.

There was this Swede who once got home and found his wife in bed with another man. He was so angry that he got a gun and pointed it to his own head. "NO! Don't do that," his wife begged. "Shut up woman! You'll be next," the angry Swede replied.

A Norwegian drove into a Swedish gas station, and wanted some help with his signal lights. After he'd changed the light-bulb, he asked the Swede to check if it was blinking. The Swede looked at it and said, "funkar, funkar inte, funkar, funkar inte. " (Works, doesn't work, works, doesn't work...)

"Daddy, I'm pregnant," the daughter said. "Hey, wait a minute. Are you sure it's yours?" the Swedish father responded.

Sven came home to his apartment one night, all Upset. "Dat yanitor, vot a bragger. He says he's made love to every voman in dis building except one."
"Hmmph," said his wife. "Must be that snooty Mrs.Johnson on the second floor."

Ole came home one evening and shot his dog. When his
neighbor asked why, he explained, "Some vun phoned me
up and said my vife was fooling around vith my best friend."

A farmer was in town one day and was telling the butcher that he had a pack of dogs living under his front porch and didn't know how to get rid of them.
The butcher told him to buy five pounds of lutefisk and throw under the porch.
So he bought some before he went home and that night he threw it under the porch.
The next time he was in town the butcher asked him if he got rid of the dogs. The farmer told him he got up the next morning and looked and the dogs were gone, and a couple of days later he wanted to make sure they were gone so he looked under the porch and sure enough the dogs were gone but two Norwegian families had moved in.

OP
DennisBreene

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Since we are already off topic a bit..

Every year for the 17th of May parade the Swedes line up on one side of the road for the parade, the Norwegians on the other. Then, the Swedes throw firecrackers at the Norwegians. Then, the Norwegians light the firecrackers and throw them back

A Swede, a Norwegian and a Dane were arrested in France during the French revolution. They each got to choose which way they would die. The Norwegian chose the guillotine, because he saw it as the latest fashion. His head went under, but the blade stopped 1 inch from his neck. The French saw this as a sign from God or something and decided to let him go. The same thing happened to the Dane. Then they asked the Swede how he wanted to die. "I think I'll die by hanging, that guillotine doesn't work anyway," he said.

A Swedish road-worker was hired to paint the line that goes down the center of the road. The first day he managed to paint 2 kilometers, and his boss was very pleased. The next day he only painted 200 meters, but his boss thought that he'd probably started off too hard on the first day. But on the third day he was only able to paint 20 meters. The boss called him into the office and demanded an explanation. "Well, you see it's getting so darn far to walk all the way to the paint bucket," the Swede explained.

There was this Swede who once got home and found his wife in bed with another man. He was so angry that he got a gun and pointed it to his own head. "NO! Don't do that," his wife begged. "Shut up woman! You'll be next," the angry Swede replied.

A Norwegian drove into a Swedish gas station, and wanted some help with his signal lights. After he'd changed the light-bulb, he asked the Swede to check if it was blinking. The Swede looked at it and said, "funkar, funkar inte, funkar, funkar inte. " (Works, doesn't work, works, doesn't work...)

"Daddy, I'm pregnant," the daughter said. "Hey, wait a minute. Are you sure it's yours?" the Swedish father responded.

Sven came home to his apartment one night, all Upset. "Dat yanitor, vot a bragger. He says he's made love to every voman in dis building except one."
"Hmmph," said his wife. "Must be that snooty Mrs.Johnson on the second floor."

Ole came home one evening and shot his dog. When his
neighbor asked why, he explained, "Some vun phoned me
up and said my vife was fooling around vith my best friend."

A farmer was in town one day and was telling the butcher that he had a pack of dogs living under his front porch and didn't know how to get rid of them.
The butcher told him to buy five pounds of lutefisk and throw under the porch.
So he bought some before he went home and that night he threw it under the porch.
The next time he was in town the butcher asked him if he got rid of the dogs. The farmer told him he got up the next morning and looked and the dogs were gone, and a couple of days later he wanted to make sure they were gone so he looked under the porch and sure enough the dogs were gone but two Norwegian families had moved in.

Fantastic, I also started a thread where we can continue such shenanigans without diverting the original thread.

Last edited: