What "exotic" food do you crave?

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure why this popped into my head. Maybe I'm hungry. With as diverse a group as we have, I thought it would be interesting so hear what unusual foods (in the mind of the individual posting) people find to be special treats. I'll confess I have a fondness for beef tongue.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Roasted bovine heart. Had it in Japan and it was fantastic. I'll probably never be able to find that in a restaurant again.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Cow's heart? I had that at a friend's house when I was little. I found it a little tough.
(but good luck even finding the heart to cook it at home)

The most exotic I am going these days is Nigiri. I think I can eat that any time (but I prefer tuna over all)

not very adventurous....

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Pickled onions, and salt and malt vinegar on chips, because you just can't get them in Deutschland.

Also, British Indian Restaurant curry, because the German taste bud is apparently different and the curry is what I would refer to as 'bland'. Which is bad news coming from a Brit.

Apart from that, not much.

Gnarlie

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm along the same lines as Gnarlie on this one :D. A fine lamb Jalfrezi with high heat green chillies and plain basmati rice is a joy to devour.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm very fond of unagi as well. That's eel, if you don't eat at Japanese restaurants often.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sushi/Sashimi of just about any sort! Although I cooked up some elk tongue for the first time a couple weeks ago and it was amazing if I say so myself :)

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do like ostrich, 1000 year old egg with a white vinegar chaser can be nice too.

OP
DennisBreene

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I did enjoy armadillo and water moccasin during survival training in the Navy as a youngster. Anyone tried scorpion? I've heard it's popular in China.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I had skunk as a kid (tastes a lot like veal). These days, I crave seafood, but you cannot get good seafood in Colorado, so I load up on it when we travel.
Before Xue asks... I don't eat shark. We have an agreement. I don't eat them, they don't eat me. :D

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fried chicken feet, I bring it for lunch sometimes. A coworker asked me if I was eating vodoo shrunken human hands :D
Traditional dishes where I grew up includes salted sheep`s head, seasoned ox testicles and boiled pig`s foot. Not to mention tørrfisk, a "fish flavored baseball bat" according to John Cleese.
A friend served up fried raven and bisam rat (a ratlike beaver creature with a long tail), not bad at all.
My girlfriend made me balut some time ago, delicious! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balut_(egg)

OP
DennisBreene

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
No one ever seems to have that around here! I've never had a chance to try it!

Don't know what part of Illinois you're from but JMK Nippon in Rockford often has it. Places near Chicago often have it. Keep asking, it's worth it.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Don't know what part of Illinois you're from but JMK Nippon in Rockford often has it. Places near Chicago often have it. Keep asking, it's worth it.
No they don’t. :(
I go there all the time and they never have it. I think they don’t sell it anymore.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sliced avocado with salt.

Maybe not so exotic, but when you're five and haven't eaten in a day or two, and you share an avocado between your parents and siblings, it becomes a 'go-to' feel good food afterwards.

Latest Discussions