Food!

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well it is beginning to smell a bit like West Texas in Washburn today. I broke out the smoker and picked up a big ol' Beef Brisket. Did the rub this morning early and put on the Hickory wood right after. By noon it was ready for the meat, and should be ready for Supper tomorrow evening. Sometimes moving around the Country can have it's advantages as well as disadvantages. Disadvantage, if you don't know how to make something yourself, in other areas you may not find it. Advantage is having a wide menu if you do know how to make things.

When I left Maine for a few years and went back to Michigan I about went through withdrawals from Doniars. I make regular runs across the border for the little darlings and missed them SO badly. Now I know how to make them! Just like my love for HOT chili I acquired from Dallas. West Texas BBQ I fell for in Abiline (Thank you Harolds!) You can't beat Michigan's Upper Peninsula pasties. Or the smoked Salmon from the Oregon Coast. Oh and the Gumbo and Jambalaya from the Mississippi/Louisiana delta area, cannot forget that either. Tennessee Catfish, Arizona chimichangas, Wisconsin Kringles (still perfecting this one), The list is long and delicious.

I am glad for having traveled all over this Great Country and getting to sample not only the fantastic natural beauty, but the people and flavors of the different areas as well. There are many stories that go along with most of my regional foods I know how to make. Somebodies Grandmother in Kansas giving me her recipe, Sharing BBQ with total strangers in Colorado one glorious evening, Every one brings back a special memory and a special taste. Bring your own! Share!

You know what might be cool. A Martial Talk recipe book. With people from all over the world, it could be fantastic. Just think, a different taste and treat from all over the world at your fingertips, from people you know through cyberspace. Not the same as sitting down across a table from them and having some great discussion along with a great meal, but another way to have a fond memory and enjoy something you might not have ever heard of before. Kick it around, think about it.

Oh great, now I'm starving!

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
*sigh* Thanks, bydand. Looks like I'm stopping at Gates' on the way home tonight.

"Hi, may I help you?" ;)

OP
bydand

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
*sigh* Thanks, bydand. Looks like I'm stopping at Gates' on the way home tonight.

"Hi, may I help you?" ;)

Oh I know Gates! Good "Q". Had a friend who grew up in KC and last time through, we went out to gates for a bite. :)

Latest Discussions