What does Wing Chun need in the 21st Century?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Develop the courage to stand on the ground ang not back up.
Okay, but why never? I think it's good to have drills (even extended periods of training over time) where you focus on not giving up even an inch. But there are useful strategies employing a step back that draw people in, create space, and/or set up techniques.

D

Deleted member 34973

I guess, I am just to old school. The first thing I tell people that want to train under me..."You will be hit, if that is an issue, there are several schools in area".

We don't use gloves or footpads. Mouthguard and cup...and that is required for promise fights.

Could be the reason, I only have two students.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I guess, I am just to old school. The first thing I tell people that want to train under me..."You will be hit, if that is an issue, there are several schools in area".

We don't use gloves or footpads. Mouthguard and cup...and that is required for promise fights.

Could be the reason, I only have two students.
If you aren't getting hit sometimes, you aren't training to fight. People underestimate the (imo super important) importance of being able to take a hit without panicking.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you aren't getting hit sometimes, you aren't training to fight. People underestimate the (imo super important) importance of being able to take a hit without panicking.

You mean like actual contact? Like fighters do on the telly-vision?

Nooooooooooooooo!

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I spent a couple of hours this morning at a park with a visiting sifu from the Duncan Leung Lineage. He was here teaching a former student of mine (that had previous experience in both lineages). People may wonder how I'd keep contact with a student that (gasp!) went back to studying his previous lineage. Why not? He still does Escrima with me, and when we occasionally do some WC together, he shares his perspective, which in turn broadens my outlook as well. Just don't tell anyone in my association, right? ;)

Anyway, I had a great time meeting his other instructor and had a chance to discuss a lot of things we do the same ...and a lot that we do differently. But even so, conceptually his stuff made sense. Especially when you factor in context. Personally, I like seeing different solutions to a problem. And, if I ever do use any of their stuff, you bet I'll give them credit for it. I just wish more people would open up and share like that.

That's a big thing that WC needs more of in these times.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spent a couple of hours this morning at a park with a visiting sifu from the Duncan Leung Lineage. He was here teaching a former student of mine (that had previous experience in both lineages). People may wonder how I'd keep contact with a student that (gasp!) went back to studying his previous lineage. Why not? He still does Escrima with me, and when we occasionally do some WC together, he shares his perspective, which in turn broadens my outlook as well. Just don't tell anyone in my association, right? ;)

Anyway, I had a great time meeting his other instructor and had a chance to discuss a lot of things we do the same ...and a lot that we do differently. But even so, conceptually his stuff made sense. Especially when you factor in context. Personally, I like seeing different solutions to a problem. And, if I ever do use any of their stuff, you bet I'll give them credit for it. I just wish more people would open up and share like that.

That's a big thing that WC needs more of in these times.
From what I've seen from forum discussions, there's a lot of insularity in WC, between lineages/branches. With some folks saying "ours is the real one", there's no room in their minds for finding something useful from someone else (probably not even within their own branch!). A few folks in WC honestly exploring the boundaries of the art and seeing what it can (and cannot) do, combined with more open minds within the art, will go a long way. More friendly debates and even friendly arguments.

Personally, I don't really understand the touchiness. I've seen it within my own primary art, even between branches within the same organization (though at least there, there was still sharing of ideas - just complete disagreement about what was "right"). I had a Jujutsu student (not instructor) from Germany visit my program for a few weeks a year or two ago, and I had her share some of what they do. I think it's good exposure for students and instructors, alike.

snake_monkey

Orange Belt
Reaction score
WC...it's hard to compare person to person. Traditionally, I believe WC has trained and trains good fighters to this day (Largely depending on the skill of the teacher and the connection to their lineage, without going into lineage sources). Certain people take it and do more with it, and that's great. I am a performer which I show on my Youtube channel, but also a potential contender in the ring (to an extent). I have a few clips from light sparring to show, but no recent bouts or footage. Really, I just love the Kung fu! (would be open to suggestions for sparring or competitions locally)

Last edited:

Poppity

Green Belt
Reaction score
"Traditional wing chun" lotsa people bandy about the term and i guess it all means different things to different folk. People outside the Ip Man lineage rarely consider the HK versions of Ip Man wing chun traditional, but some within that lineage do, and unsuprisingly they are usually the ones saying traditional wing chun doesn't work.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting, Wing Chun is a complete STAND UP Fighting system. If you do the following!
1. Train Solo atleast 30 minutes five days a week. EVERY WEEK.
2. Do chi Sau and San Shou with a partner once or twice a week.
3. Try to Light spar a few times a week, An do hard sparring a few times a month with NON-Wing Chun fighters.

Key is to find people who fight non-traditional martial arts. with the exception of boxing, muay thai and mma. Find those people to spar with, an use your mind to figure out what worked and what didn't work and why. This will greatly grow your art.

The Only thing WC is truly missing is Ground fighting. I suggest learning BJJ or American Wrestling and adding their conditioning to your regime. Outside of that Wing chun has punches, Joint Locks(Chin-Na), Kicks, Trapping hands, Deflections, and wazoo of other elements. Not not all WC is the same. So i suggest adding conditioning training to your wing chun if you find you have none.