What does it mean to be a martial artist?

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
After meditating for about an hour, I decided to make this thread. This is an open discussion. All perspectives and opinions are welcome (so long as they stay on topic and reflect the title of the thread). I'm going to share my point of view, but I welcome everyone to share their own views as well. Here are the questions I'd like you to ask yourself and try to answer intelligently to the best of your abilities:

#1 - What does it mean to be a martial artist?
#2 - What are the physical characteristics of a martial artist?
#3 - What are the emotional characteristics of a martial artist?
#4 - What is martial art?
#5 - What are the behavioral characteristics of a martial artist?
#6 - What are the training characteristics of a martial artist?

I'd like you to reflect on these questions and try to answer these things the best way you can. If you want to present an opinion in listed form (#1-#6), that's fine. If you think you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone, go right ahead. There's no set way to answer all of these questions, so I invite everyone's approach to this topic. Just please no trolling, one-liners, meme-ing, insulting or heated arguments. I'd like for this thread to stay on topic. It would be nice to have a friendly and intelligible conversation on this forum for once. Please and thank you ahead of time.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anyone can be a martial artist there's no formula for it, everyone can do it young, old, rich, poor, fat, thin, man, woman anyone from any lifestyle can train there's no set characteristic everyone's different. Haven't you noticed some here act in certain ways that others don't

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

Someone who studies or practices a codified system and tradition of combat practices

There are no set physical characteristics. They come in all different kinds

There are no set emotional characteristics. They come in all different kinds

Codified systems and traditions of combat practices

There are no set behaviorial characteristics. They come in all different kinds

There are no set training characteristics. They have many different methods and charateristics

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
1.a martial artist is someone who practices martial arts.
2.the physical characteristics are whatever said art the martial artist is doing.
3. Not be emotionally attached.
4. Something people do for different reasons
5. Depends on the person what they think is value
6.depends which art.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry but being an English eccentric I don't conform especially when told to do or not do something. Limiting conversation is stifling conversation, one needs a little humour to leaven the seriousness sometimes, besides this isn't off topic. These men are the finest martial artists I know, they exemplify guts and honour. I loved working with them as well as training martial arts ( they do TKD)
1896855_10152013952104150_975053564_n.jpg

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
After meditating for about an hour, I decided to make this thread. This is an open discussion. All perspectives and opinions are welcome (so long as they stay on topic and reflect the title of the thread). I'm going to share my point of view, but I welcome everyone to share their own views as well. Here are the questions I'd like you to ask yourself and try to answer intelligently to the best of your abilities:

I don't know.

Human being. Martial artists come in all shapes, sizes, capabilities, and ages.

Able to differentiate between pain inflicted to teach and pain inflicted to do personal harm.

I don't know. For me it is a 'do' or 'way' that I am exploring as part of my life's journey. It has little to do with the military (martial) and more to do with art as in the art of self-control and self-enlightenment. I see it as very little different than flower arranging or tea-making, but with punches and kicks.

Typically, they can defend themselves if called upon to do so, to a greater or lesser extent. Unusually but usefully, they can identify risk better than untrained people and avoid it.

Perseverance is the only secret.

I'd like you to reflect on these questions and try to answer these things the best way you can. If you want to present an opinion in listed form (#1-#6), that's fine. If you think you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone, go right ahead. There's no set way to answer all of these questions, so I invite everyone's approach to this topic. Just please no trolling, one-liners, meme-ing, insulting or heated arguments. I'd like for this thread to stay on topic. It would be nice to have a friendly and intelligible conversation on this forum for once. Please and thank you ahead of time.

My answers are short, but I promise I am not intending them to be insulting or rude or 'one-liners'. Where I said I do not know, it is because I do not know.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm sorry but being an English eccentric I don't conform especially when told to do or not do something. Limiting conversation is stifling conversation, one needs a little humour to leaven the seriousness sometimes, besides this isn't off topic. These men are the finest martial artists I know, they exemplify guts and honour. I loved working with them as well as training martial arts ( they do TKD)
View attachment 20606
I've got a decent kukhri. But I want that big one in the front there.

OP
Mou Meng Gung Fu

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The following presentation reflects my own personal views and opinions as a martial artist and may or may not reflect the views of others. Personal discretion is advised.

In short, a martial artist is someone who practices martial art. On a higher level though, I think a martial artist is someone who has a passion for lifelong learning and training in martial arts for personal growth and development. A martial artist is in fact an "artist," someone who has their own personal expression. I also believe that a true martial artist is only concerned with self-defense, as opposed to being competitive or war-like. I do not consider most sport fighters or soldiers to be true authentic martial artists, though I also do believe that they can be (sport fighting and military service is often a career for some martial artists). To me, a martial artist can truly be seen in the way they handle conflicts and situations. A good martial artist will avoid going into battle, as opposed to arguing or fighting with others. That's what I think it means to be a martial artist.

In short, there are no set physical characteristics. Anyone can be a martial artist regardless of gender, height, weight or race. On a higher level though, I think a true martial artist is someone who strives to maintain their physical image. This means practicing good hygiene, working out, nutritious dieting and exercise, looking for ways to promote a healthy lifestyle and increase longevity.

In short, all martial artists have feelings and emotions which defines them as human beings. On a higher level though, emotion can sometimes be a martial artist's enemy. I think a good martial artist is one who does not become completely desensitized or emotionless, but who is also not controlled or blinded by their emotions. I think a true martial artist is one who can control their emotions and yet looks for ways to find balance between being emotional and emotionless.

In short, a martial art can be defined as any codified tradition or practice involving training methods and movements that are geared for war. On a higher level though, I think martial arts is an "art," being a personal expression of one's training in response to another human being. It is the expression of one's abilities and personal skills in combat, as well as the ability to avert conflict.

In short, martial artists come in many ages and maturity levels with different behavioral characteristics. On a higher level though, I think a true martial artist is someone who practices self-restraint. A good martial artist, in my opinion, is one who shows respect and courtesy. I think any true authentic martial artist will have a good sense of discipline and honor in matters of moral character. A true martial artist is someone who is humble, honest and promotes genuine kindness and sincerety in martial arts with a sense of humility. I believe a true martial artist has an optimistic but realistic attitude with the sincere desire to improve oneself. A truly great martial artist is someone who strives to control their emotions and eliminate all fears and prejudices. To me, a martial artist can be directly defined by their behavioral characteristics.

In short, there are over a thousand different ways in which a martial artist can train. On a higher level though, I think martial artists are constantly looking for specific training characteristics which work best for them as individuals. A good martial artist looks for training methods that are beneficial to them, as opposed to being injurious or life-threatening. I think a true martial artist will look for ways to live longer and healthier lives. They will be more interested in healing arts than killing arts. In my opinion, a martial artist should have a good sense of self-preservation.

That is at least one point of view... :)

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
So basically your definition of a martial artist is you?

This should be good.

Time for the next Thunderdome?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's fine to have your own definition of what you think a martial artist should be and if you choose to live up to your expectations that's also fine. The problem comes when you start judging others by your definition and find them wanting. There is a danger of coming across as arrogant.
In truth there is no such thing as a 'true' martial artist just as there is no 'true' man or 'true' woman.
I don't think you can judge anyone just by their activities, do we also run lists of what we think a true marathon runner should be or a horse rider? We shouldn't be defined just by the hobby/sport/activity we do.
If we want to be good human beings there are a number of moral standards we can follow, I know there's a number of Christians on this site who will put their beliefs before their martial arts in how they think they should behave in an honourable way. Ask them and those of us who have other religious beliefs whether they'd be want to be judged for their martial arts or their way of living and it won't be martial arts that comes out on top, we try to put our core beliefs into what we do in martial arts but our moral compass isn't provided by those martial arts.
I will reiterate what I have said and what others say...there is no such thing as a 'true' martial artist, to each of us being a martial artist has a personal meaning and we don't judge others by ourselves. It would be unfair to do so. High ideals are good but they should be your own and you should not live up to what you think is 'true' but not.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I cannot answer for other people. I do not know is possible for anybody can answer for any other people.. For me it is like this..

To know how to fight

black hair hazel eyes

Well-tempered, do not act on anger, impossible to provoke

Understanding how to fight, it is nothing else

To act to drag harmony from disharmonious situation.. that is not necessarily physical

Firstly to accept only learnings empirically proven by oneself and to ones own satisfaction, second, be not preacher, nor teacher to those I feel seek no learning

Last edited:

Saheim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Anyone who trains in any martial art is a martial artist.

No, that person could be a "martial student" or a "martial trainee" or maybe a "martialist" but, using your logic, anyone who taking a painting class would also be an "artist"

An "artist" has enough passion and commitment to devote enough time and effort (often making huge sacrifices) that take his/her chosen craft to a level not attainable by the casual dabbler.

For me, another HUGE part of being a martial artist is understanding the gift of those who preserved the knowledge. and demonstrating that appreciation through respecting their traditions and protocols.

OP
Mou Meng Gung Fu

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
A warrior practices combat. A martial artist practices martial art. A warrior is not necessarily a martial artist, but can be. A martial artist is still an artist, just as a martial art is still an art. Hence we use terms like Wu Shu or Gung Fu.

Gung Fu can actually refer to martial arts, flower arranging, tea making, traditional medicine- and yes, even painting.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A warrior practices combat. A martial artist practices martial art. A warrior is not necessarily a martial artist, but can be. A martial artist is still an artist, just as a martial art is still an art. Hence we use terms like Wu Shu or Gung Fu.

Gung Fu can actually refer to martial arts, flower arranging, tea making, traditional medicine- and yes, even painting.
If I remember right, gung fu just means "hard work", or "skill achieved through hard work". If that's right, that could apply to almost literally anything.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
No, that person could be a "martial student" or a "martial trainee" or maybe a "martialist" but, using your logic, anyone who taking a painting class would also be an "artist"

An "artist" has enough passion and commitment to devote enough time and effort (often making huge sacrifices) that take his/her chosen craft to a level not attainable by the casual dabbler.

For me, another HUGE part of being a martial artist is understanding the gift of those who preserved the knowledge. and demonstrating that appreciation through respecting their traditions and protocols.
So, at what belt level should one begin referring to oneself as a martial artist? Blue belt? Black belt? does a person who trains a couple times a week for fun ever attain this lofty title?

This really tickles my funny bone.

Latest Discussions