What does it mean if someone "can fight" or "can't fight"?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do you ? 🤔

Have worked with death up close, infantry medic..
Do know how it affected me...

You and others claim to practice "martial" arts....arts of war .

And yet, it seems like maybe what was trained was "competitive" events..

"That robber is a human."

no that "armed" robber was the enemy a threat to the lives of those there at the time.

You'r starting to sound like the DA telling our family members to not saying anything negative about the ones
who shot, killed our uncle..It may cause people to sympathize with them....

I'd say...until "you" or others here have had something happen up close and personal, you may change your mind...

Even feel a little different....🤔

And if you have or had,,,and still feel sympathy 🤔

There is a story

"An old woman was walking down the road whan she saw a gang of thugs beating a poisonous snake. She rescued the snake and carried it back to her home, where she nursed it back to health."

"One day they were going into town and the old woman picked him up and the snake bit her. Repeatedly.

"O God," she screamed, "I am dying! Why? I was your friend. I saved your life! I trusted you! Why did you bite me?"

The snake looked up at her and said,

"Lady, you knew I was a snake when you first picked me up."

Hi Windwalker,
One does not need to be Military, or LEO / First Responder to have seen violence or lived through it.
It is difficult for those who have never seen, done, or lived through it.

Peace with what you have seen, use your network of those who have also seen / done what you have done, and talk and listen to each other. It helps.
And yes, attitudes usually change after such incidents.
Best Wishes

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do you ? 🤔

Have worked with death up close, infantry medic..
Do know how it affected me...

You and others claim to practice "martial" arts....arts of war .

And yet, it seems like maybe what was trained was "competitive" events..

"That robber is a human."

no that "armed" robber was the enemy a threat to the lives of those there at the time.

You'r starting to sound like the DA telling our family members to not saying anything negative about the ones
who shot, killed our uncle..It may cause people to sympathize with them....

I'd say...until "you" or others here have had something happen up close and personal, you may change your mind...

Even feel a little different....🤔

And if you have or had,,,and still feel sympathy 🤔

There is a story

"An old woman was walking down the road whan she saw a gang of thugs beating a poisonous snake. She rescued the snake and carried it back to her home, where she nursed it back to health."

"One day they were going into town and the old woman picked him up and the snake bit her. Repeatedly.

"O God," she screamed, "I am dying! Why? I was your friend. I saved your life! I trusted you! Why did you bite me?"

The snake looked up at her and said,

"Lady, you knew I was a snake when you first picked me up."
I take umbrage with your characterizations, and I’m a little surprised at the insulting tone of this post. I’m not interested in arguing with you over our belief systems or who has been through more violence. I respectfully disagree with some of your viewpoints, let’s leave it at that.

windwalker099

Green Belt
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please return to the original topic.

Jks9199
MT Administrator
👍

" What is it that you look for to determine if someone "can fight" or "can't fight"?
What is the threshold that must be crossed before someone can be deemed able to fight?

In reference to competitive events, how a person holds themselves, entering the event before the fight has started.
Once started, control and understanding of distance....range ect...

Threshold, normally the number of successful fights one has engaged in, a good indicator of ability...

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
IMG_1410-1.jpg

What it takes 🤔

5 to 8 pounds of trigger-pull weight or less....

If someone points a pistol at a group of people, with out shooting anyone, turns his back on them,
in the course of a robbery..

They might consider that someone else may also have a pistol...
The robber in this case....Will never make that mistake again 😐

Had a uncle a couple of yrs back,,, robbed by 2 people one with a pistol
He fought back and was shot....he died, they took his camera.
They were caught a couple of weeks later trying to do the same thing...

Still awaiting a court date held in confinement.
I definitely don’t get what your obsession with this murder is, but can you try and stay on topic?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No it isn’t.
Martial arts is all about fighting. It’s literally in the name.
Anything beyond fighting is life coaching.
I think you missed half the name. there's the martial part, which is about fighting. Then the art part, which is about more. So if we're going purely by what's literally in the name, it's half aesthetics.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Can fight vs Can’t fight vs Catfight. Hard to tell the difference in here the vast majority of the time. Hot air, and lots of it. The loudest calls for violence are rarely accompanied by a courageous heart. Violence, or propensity for violence does not equal courage. Courage requires selflessness, not callous disregard for life. Being willing to sacrifice for another, and being committed to any action undertaken in that regard is what I think of when I think of what it takes to be able to fight.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think you missed half the name. there's the martial part, which is about fighting. Then the art part, which is about more. So if we're going purely by what's literally in the name, it's half aesthetics.
Many years ago I gave a CMA form demo in local TV station (channel 24). After the demo, the reporter said, "MA is like dancing ...". His comment had upset me for a long time. I took it as a personal insult. I don't train MA to be a dancer. Since then, the word "art" always bother me big time.

After that day, MA to me can be as simple as "fist meet face", or "head meet ground".

Last edited:

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Strictly speaking, it could refer to "arts" in the older sense: human workmanship, as in artificial, artisan, and so on. "Skill as a result of learning and practice." Not nature, in other words. So it might more likely mean "combat skills."

... and here I shrug. 🤷‍♂️

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
i mean maybe if you only use one definition of the term art or arts. fighting is not a science, it's an art. it has nothing to do with aesthetics, it has to do with the personal input how an individual may fight, or how a different military, or unit within a military may fight specifically.

"Science is designed to be objective and guided by data; art is subjective and deeply influenced by feelings and opinions.

While the outcomes of science and art are quite different, the processes involved have undeniable similarities."

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I believe the art of MA is not how pretty that you may look when you fight, but how effective that you may achieve in fighting.

In the following clip, he took his opponent down fast and clean. That's art.

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
The ar
I believe the art of MA is not how pretty that you may look when you fight, but how effective that you may achieve in fighting.

In the following clip, he took his opponent down fast and clean. That's art.

the art aspect is simply in the fact there’s no equation that can be applied by everyone in the same circumstance to receive the same outcome.

A+B=C no matter your size or physical ability.
But jab, cross, hook, leg kick, may not work for my 5’5” gf the same way it works for 6’2” me. Or depending on who the other person is, that combo may work better for her than for me.
Not to mention it’s a learned and practiced skill, where as a science is largely memorization and understanding of concepts.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Strictly speaking, it could refer to "arts" in the older sense: human workmanship, as in artificial, artisan, and so on. "Skill as a result of learning and practice." Not nature, in other words. So it might more likely mean "combat skills."

... and here I shrug. 🤷‍♂️
The term "it's more art than science" comes to mind as well. The idea that you can't have a specific formula for how to perform a task, but have to feel it in the moment to do it correctly.

angelariz

Green Belt
Reaction score
We are a Vunak Fighting System group so that means we fight. We spar. Everyone has to mix it up. Grapple, use weapons. Everyone must learn self defense scenarios , put on training gear, and do it under pressure. So that is how we define it.

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
The term "it's more art than science" comes to mind as well. The idea that you can't have a specific formula for how to perform a task, but have to feel it in the moment to do it correctly.
exactly.
it's been my experience that people who think martial arts goes beyond martial skill are those who have limited to no martial skill or ability.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When people said,

- MA is more than just fighting. If you care about fighting, you should get a gun.
- MA is also for self-cultivation, mind control body, Qi development, inner peace, ...
- Non violent is more important than violent.
- The best self-defense is to run away.

It always remind me that the person who said that is a good guy, and I'm the bad guy (I beliebe MA is as simple as "fist meet face").

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
When people said,

- MA is more than just fighting. If you care about fighting, you should get a gun.
- MA is also for self-cultivation, mind control body, Qi development, inner peace, ...
- Non violent is more important than violent.
- The best self-defense is to run away.

It always remind me that the person who said that is a good guy, and I'm the bad guy (I beliebe MA is as simple as "fist meet face").
I’m ambivalent to your statement because it is the context that informs those statements. I’m ok with fighting, my gun is for an extremely escalated situation. I do feel that all my hard work and efforts have provided some self cultivation and mind body control, but those are side effects not the reason I train. Non violent can be less expensive, but neither more nor less important than violent. If there are several people shooting at you, then running away might be the best self defense. You aren’t a bad guy, nor are you a good guy because of a viewpoint on these contextual themes. A simple fist meets face may be all you desire to get, in which case you are correct in saying ”that’s all it is” because in your individual context that is it’s sum total. To you a hug may just be a hug, to me a hug may be much more than what you can see physically. There may be an effect I get that you don’t get and can’t see. BTW I need a lot of hugs. I get magical immunities from them.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
but those are side effects not the reason I train.
This is exactly what I try to say.

My teacher always said, "When you fight, you should draw blood (出手见红)." His statement sounds violent. But to me, his statement is non-violent. If in fighting, you will need to kill your opponent, you should ask yourself:

- Do I really hate him that much?
- Do I want to go to jail for the rest of my life by killing him?

If both answers are NO, to back off from a fight is very normal. So when you can see the consequence of the violent, you will become a non-violent person.

Fighting is not for fun. People can die or go to jail for it. If you want to fight, go fight in tournament.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If in fighting, you will need to kill your opponent, you should ask yourself:

- Do I really hate him that much?
- Do I want to go to jail for the rest of my life by killing him?
These two statements don't apply to me. Here's why
1. Do I really hate him that much?
Emotions, conflict, and aggression aren't a good mix. It's like a toxic drink that you'll regret later when your emotions become something else.

2 Do I want to go to jail? This boils down to focus and intent. This is more of a question that should be asked before physical attacks begin. Once a person lets the emotions control them, then Jail doesn't become an issue or concern, because that's not what is happening in the present.

Latest Discussions