OP
seasoned

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Defining a "Black Belt" seems subjective :p
Exactly, it will mean many things to many people, in direct relationship to your particular needs and expectations.

OP
seasoned

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is one of those questions, the answer to which depends upon context.
To each practitioner, it could mean in the beginning stages, almost the same thing. But somewhere along the "way", to some, it will fulfill some inward desire of which you may not be aware of, at first. In this context it becomes so much more then just a black piece of cloth, to hold ones top together. But, if taught properly, with the proper dose of humility, as an important ingredient, it may just be that black piece of string. One thing is for sure, IMHO, where ever you start from, it will change you forever.

Last edited:

xJOHNx

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have seen to many black belts of very bad character shoot their big mouth off at the wrong time and in the wrong place, only to get their butt handed back to them. Hard word, along with pushing our bodies past a certain point builds strong character. Somewhere in the journey from white belt to black belt a student needs to be pushed just enough to test that virtue of character. If it's my student, it is a must.
I used to think that BB loudmouths just had a bad sensei/guru/sifu, until recently I met someone who is a loudmouth. I know his sensei is one of the most integer men I know. The guy just puts on a mask when he goes training.

And yes, good character should be forged in the flames of hard training (to put it poetically). So if you push me, I push you.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I used to think that BB loudmouths just had a bad sensei/guru/sifu, until recently I met someone who is a loudmouth. I know his sensei is one of the most integer men I know. The guy just puts on a mask when he goes training.

And yes, good character should be forged in the flames of hard training (to put it poetically). So if you push me, I push you.
This is not always true. Some people just come from very intense homes and it isn't easy for Karate teachers to de-program the students. You really have to think hard about hanging a Black Belt some of these guys.
Sean

xJOHNx

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I can relate to what you are saying. That's why my views have changed on it. I no longer hold the teacher 100% responsible.

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
At first, when I knew nothing, a Black Belt meant everything. After earning one and knowing something, it now means nothing.

Franco

OP
seasoned

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
At first, when I knew nothing, a Black Belt meant everything. After earning one and knowing something, it now means nothing.

Franco
I would venture to say that more grew then just knowledge of techniques.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
with the characters and gentleness of my own BB's...and their wisdom and knowledge...and I look up to them so....

I wanna be a black belt..... Sigh. :)

i wanna be like them...to be them.

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I would venture to say that more grew then just knowledge of techniques.

Very true. It was witnessing 1st hand the uselessness of having a belt system in the Street Combatives system I teach.
I had a student who had about a year to go before his BB testing. He was a natural & an exceptionally talented individual, who never trained in any other system before training with me. We had a few guests from other schools visiting us for a friendly sparring session and he pretty much ate up everyone he sparred, including Kenpo 2nd & 3rd Deg BB's, a SCARS instructor, and a guy who was supposedly a 4th Deg BB in Ninjutsu (which he went thru the easiest). After the session, the other BB's approached me and said they felt, with their backing, that I should promote this individual to BB. I refused, saying he had't had the time in that I require along with still needing to learn a few more elements before earning his BB. My guy was a little dissapointed, but I explained to him that he would understand in the long run, which he did. Right after he earned his BB, I dropped the belt system alltogether and replaced it with level certifications.
Now don't get me wrong, I have 100% full respect for the belt system, but after almost 40 yrs in the arts, I've seen way too many BB's that downright suck, but feel their BB entitles them to a level of respect that's just not deserved. I'm sure I ain't the only one that has seen this also.
As a side note, the Ninjutsu instructor, who was visiting from Europe, decided to stay with me and train for the remainder of his stay. He dumped the Booj and is now my European rep (took him another 3 yrs to earn his instructors rank). :)

Franco

OP
seasoned

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Very true. It was witnessing 1st hand the uselessness of having a belt system in the Street Combatives system I teach.
I had a student who had about a year to go before his BB testing. He was a natural & an exceptionally talented individual, who never trained in any other system before training with me. We had a few guests from other schools visiting us for a friendly sparring session and he pretty much ate up everyone he sparred, including Kenpo 2nd & 3rd Deg BB's, a SCARS instructor, and a guy who was supposedly a 4th Deg BB in Ninjutsu (which he went thru the easiest). After the session, the other BB's approached me and said they felt, with their backing, that I should promote this individual to BB. I refused, saying he had't had the time in that I require along with still needing to learn a few more elements before earning his BB. My guy was a little dissapointed, but I explained to him that he would understand in the long run, which he did. Right after he earned his BB, I dropped the belt system altogether and replaced it with level certifications.
Now don't get me wrong, I have 100% full respect for the belt system, but after almost 40 yrs in the arts, I've seen way too many BB's that downright suck, but feel their BB entitles them to a level of respect that's just not deserved. I'm sure I ain't the only one that has seen this also.
As a side note, the Ninjutsu instructor, who was visiting from Europe, decided to stay with me and train for the remainder of his stay. He dumped the Booj and is now my European rep (took him another 3 yrs to earn his instructors rank). :)

Franco
Every friendly sparring session I ever had with people from other styles, that were just visiting, never turned out well. Things always seemed to get out of hand.
icon7.gif
A Black Belt, meaning the belt itself, as a whole, is a personal accomplishment. Each person knows what they put into that belt in terms of blood, sweat, and tears. Maybe this thread should have been titled "What does "your" BB mean to you". This would have put a whole different twist on things, maybe. I do feel that a man makes the belt and not the belt making the man or women, whatever the case may be. There are way too many people that think a few stripes on that belt means everyone should automatically respect them. Where belts are concerned I always respect the person first. Once I can respect them, then their rank is considered.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What does a black belt mean to me?

I will let you know when I earn one. (I am not saying "if", I am saying "when") ;)

OP
seasoned

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What does a black belt mean to me?

I will let you know when I earn one. (I am not saying "if", I am saying "when") ;)
You ooze with confidence.
icon7.gif
Good on ya.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
What does my blackbelt mean to me? I'm just a white belt who refused to quit. There's mountains of stuff I don't know but I'm willing and striving to learn.

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Every once in a while, one of my students makes a comment, makes an observation, or just does something so nice it makes me cry. Being an instructor carries with it ,great responsibilities to give out information and to challenge minds to learn. Sometimes the challenge goes un fullfilled. Sometimes the challenge is reached or exceeded. Whatever the case, our responsibility is to pass on what we know. We hope that our students excell and surpass our attainments and set new goals for their students.

I would like to share with you one of these moments- this is from one of my new Black Belts. He was asked to explain learning and teaching as growing:

BLACK BELT ESSAY- Brian Soloman
Through the course of the following essay I will relate Kuntaw to a tree in many ways and from many different perspectives. The rationales backing the declarations, resemblance, and relationships are my own and have been formulated only from my own experiences, practice, training, research, and insights.

Let us begin with the seed. The seed in this example shall be pure thus far so as not to complicate the issues being brought to light. Pure as it has had no influence, as the new Kuntawista has had no real influence outside of his family. Entering the Bothoan, the Kuntawista feels helpless, but eager. Here is where the foundation for a lifetime of training and growth should be established. The Kuntawista learns to set goals for himself, learns the processes for learning physical techniques (form, focus, speed, power, remove, control, counter, reset), discipline, respect, and honor. He also learns to trust his instructor. These qualities will follow the Kuntawista throughout his life in his martial arts training, and in all facets of his life. If this foundation has not been laid, has been missed, set aside, or dismissed, the seed will not grow properly. The seedling may even grown crooked. Regardless of the flaws that may have taken shape and built upon, until the Kuntawista learns and incorporates these qualities, he can never be truly healthy. Frustration, aggravation, misguidance, and trouble may find this seed and prevent it from ever developing at all.

The seed that adhered to proper instruction and received guidance cracks and sprouts it’s first seedling. The Kuntawista has begun to experience growth not only in his martial arts abilities, but as a healthy well rounded person. The seedling’s first direction is toward the ground. The beginnings of roots. Like the seedling, the Kuntawista also is not capable of supporting branches, leaves, seedlings let alone himself in his new journey. But the roots have begun to set in. The philosophies, core values of the art, and the basic movements are becoming part of the Kuntawista. Soon he will be ready to stand and weather the adversity that is destined to come.

The seed has developed into a branchling. It no longer sits helplessly, barely rooted in the ground. I begins to stand tall. It stands 10 feet from the ground and it‘s roots have dug in deep enough for it to withstand almost any storm that blows past. The Kuntawista has reached the yellow/green belt level. He clearly bears a resemblance to the black belts. A stranger can see the style and the techniques that differentiate the Kuntawista from the more traditional martial artists. The basics are now ingrained in the Kuntawista. His skills are elevating but his interest in balance, energy, theory, and technicalities are surpassing his physical ability! With the fundamental values and systems in place, the Kuntawista can now focus on studying more advanced skills.

The branchling has grown sturdy and thick. It is 50 feet tall. It’s roots are so strong, deep, and complex, that there’s nothing natural that can cause it to waiver. It’s branches have grown long and have sprouted leaves. The mature trees look to the young tree and are pleased. The tree has found it’s place in the forest and is contributing to the system by providing shelter for the animals, producing oxygen in it’s leaves for all living things. It’s strong roots hold the earth together beneath it. The Kuntawista is a brown belt, ready for his black belt test. The roots of the system are so deeply embedded that it has become a permanent part of him. Even if the training stops at this point, the Kuntawista is forever changed. Like the young tree, the Kuntawista has found his place in the club, and is so much closer to finding his place in this world, and balance within himself! His acquired skills allow him to provide protection for himself and his loved ones from adversaries both physical and mental. He is a role model for the lower ranks in the club. He is able to help hold them together and help guide them on their own personal journeys.

The tree has reached maturity. It is 150 feet tall. It’s roots and branches will continue to grow for the rest of it’s life. There is now something different about the tree. Seeds have formed on its branches and are falling to the ground. They fall close to the tree, and it’s the tree’s purpose to protect the seeds, and provide the model for the seedlings to follow. No matter what the circumstances, the seeds can never BECOME the tree. They will always have the tree to look to, even after it has fallen, but they stand where THEY stand and must grow and develop into themselves. They will all clearly resemble the tree, and they will all have parts of the tree’s traits, but none will ever grow to be the tree that protects them now. Some will grow taller, some shorter, some thicker, some thinner, and every combination that can naturally follow.
The Kuntawista is at least a black belt now. Like the tree, his seeds are his new students. It is his RESPONSIBILITY, not his job, to pass along ALL aspects of the art both physical and mental to his students. To leave out any part of the formula will lead to incomplete students and a watering down of the system that has been passed on to him. The lineage that follows him will not only be weak, but a disappointment to his instructor and to the system itself. Like the tree, the Kuntawista will continue to grow for his entire life. Physically and spiritually. Notice we’ve replaced mental with a deeper term. Spiritually. The art is a part of your soul now, it is unshakable and compliments every aspect of your life. It has become a part of you.

( this is one of the reasons I love to teach)

It is not how many black belts you have advanced or how many black belts are in you lineage, it is how well the black belts are respected for their ability and how they are respected for their knowledge. You can have 1000 black belts in your club, but if they do not hold a position of earned respect, their belts mean nothing. Over the past 40 years I have advanced 14 black belts, each one of them I have faith in that they will represent my art well. Some have gone on to teach the art themselves, each still has the position of integrity and ability to all that come to train. It is too bad that black belts have been given out based on time in grade and on class attendance.

To me, a black belt is an emblem of accomplishment as well as the starting point of real learning and growing. That level is one of being a mentor and a guide. Not all people were meant to be teachers, but all people have the ability to be a guide and friend.

OP
seasoned

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Every once in a while, one of my students makes a comment, makes an observation, or just does something so nice it makes me cry. Being an instructor carries with it ,great responsibilities to give out information and to challenge minds to learn. Sometimes the challenge goes un fullfilled. Sometimes the challenge is reached or exceeded. Whatever the case, our responsibility is to pass on what we know. We hope that our students excell and surpass our attainments and set new goals for their students.

I would like to share with you one of these moments- this is from one of my new Black Belts. He was asked to explain learning and teaching as growing:

BLACK BELT ESSAY- Brian Soloman
Through the course of the following essay I will relate Kuntaw to a tree in many ways and from many different perspectives. The rationales backing the declarations, resemblance, and relationships are my own and have been formulated only from my own experiences, practice, training, research, and insights.

Let us begin with the seed. The seed in this example shall be pure thus far so as not to complicate the issues being brought to light. Pure as it has had no influence, as the new Kuntawista has had no real influence outside of his family. Entering the Bothoan, the Kuntawista feels helpless, but eager. Here is where the foundation for a lifetime of training and growth should be established. The Kuntawista learns to set goals for himself, learns the processes for learning physical techniques (form, focus, speed, power, remove, control, counter, reset), discipline, respect, and honor. He also learns to trust his instructor. These qualities will follow the Kuntawista throughout his life in his martial arts training, and in all facets of his life. If this foundation has not been laid, has been missed, set aside, or dismissed, the seed will not grow properly. The seedling may even grown crooked. Regardless of the flaws that may have taken shape and built upon, until the Kuntawista learns and incorporates these qualities, he can never be truly healthy. Frustration, aggravation, misguidance, and trouble may find this seed and prevent it from ever developing at all.

The seed that adhered to proper instruction and received guidance cracks and sprouts it’s first seedling. The Kuntawista has begun to experience growth not only in his martial arts abilities, but as a healthy well rounded person. The seedling’s first direction is toward the ground. The beginnings of roots. Like the seedling, the Kuntawista also is not capable of supporting branches, leaves, seedlings let alone himself in his new journey. But the roots have begun to set in. The philosophies, core values of the art, and the basic movements are becoming part of the Kuntawista. Soon he will be ready to stand and weather the adversity that is destined to come.

The seed has developed into a branchling. It no longer sits helplessly, barely rooted in the ground. I begins to stand tall. It stands 10 feet from the ground and it‘s roots have dug in deep enough for it to withstand almost any storm that blows past. The Kuntawista has reached the yellow/green belt level. He clearly bears a resemblance to the black belts. A stranger can see the style and the techniques that differentiate the Kuntawista from the more traditional martial artists. The basics are now ingrained in the Kuntawista. His skills are elevating but his interest in balance, energy, theory, and technicalities are surpassing his physical ability! With the fundamental values and systems in place, the Kuntawista can now focus on studying more advanced skills.

The branchling has grown sturdy and thick. It is 50 feet tall. It’s roots are so strong, deep, and complex, that there’s nothing natural that can cause it to waiver. It’s branches have grown long and have sprouted leaves. The mature trees look to the young tree and are pleased. The tree has found it’s place in the forest and is contributing to the system by providing shelter for the animals, producing oxygen in it’s leaves for all living things. It’s strong roots hold the earth together beneath it. The Kuntawista is a brown belt, ready for his black belt test. The roots of the system are so deeply embedded that it has become a permanent part of him. Even if the training stops at this point, the Kuntawista is forever changed. Like the young tree, the Kuntawista has found his place in the club, and is so much closer to finding his place in this world, and balance within himself! His acquired skills allow him to provide protection for himself and his loved ones from adversaries both physical and mental. He is a role model for the lower ranks in the club. He is able to help hold them together and help guide them on their own personal journeys.

The tree has reached maturity. It is 150 feet tall. It’s roots and branches will continue to grow for the rest of it’s life. There is now something different about the tree. Seeds have formed on its branches and are falling to the ground. They fall close to the tree, and it’s the tree’s purpose to protect the seeds, and provide the model for the seedlings to follow. No matter what the circumstances, the seeds can never BECOME the tree. They will always have the tree to look to, even after it has fallen, but they stand where THEY stand and must grow and develop into themselves. They will all clearly resemble the tree, and they will all have parts of the tree’s traits, but none will ever grow to be the tree that protects them now. Some will grow taller, some shorter, some thicker, some thinner, and every combination that can naturally follow.
The Kuntawista is at least a black belt now. Like the tree, his seeds are his new students. It is his RESPONSIBILITY, not his job, to pass along ALL aspects of the art both physical and mental to his students. To leave out any part of the formula will lead to incomplete students and a watering down of the system that has been passed on to him. The lineage that follows him will not only be weak, but a disappointment to his instructor and to the system itself. Like the tree, the Kuntawista will continue to grow for his entire life. Physically and spiritually. Notice we’ve replaced mental with a deeper term. Spiritually. The art is a part of your soul now, it is unshakable and compliments every aspect of your life. It has become a part of you.

( this is one of the reasons I love to teach)

It is not how many black belts you have advanced or how many black belts are in you lineage, it is how well the black belts are respected for their ability and how they are respected for their knowledge. You can have 1000 black belts in your club, but if they do not hold a position of earned respect, their belts mean nothing. Over the past 40 years I have advanced 14 black belts, each one of them I have faith in that they will represent my art well. Some have gone on to teach the art themselves, each still has the position of integrity and ability to all that come to train. It is too bad that black belts have been given out based on time in grade and on class attendance.

To me, a black belt is an emblem of accomplishment as well as the starting point of real learning and growing. That level is one of being a mentor and a guide. Not all people were meant to be teachers, but all people have the ability to be a guide and friend.
Thanks Brian, this post is very insightfully, and hits to the heart of the matter, in a very important way. As you have pointed out, martial arts instructors are very influential in the development of their students, for the good, or the bad. Arming someone with the tools to hurt someone, and not giving them the know how to distinguish when and how to go about it, is very disingenuous. Martial arts not only helped me to be a better person while learning to defend myself, but as with you, the desire to pass that knowledge on to others as well. Anybody can teach someone how to fight, but in doing so, to help that person to become a better citizen in life, is optimal. With great knowledge, comes great responsibility.:asian:

Shifu Steve

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have been in martial arts long enough to allow my first teaching to permeate my life in such a way as to evaluate my day to day encounters by a certain standard. My first Sensei was tough as nails, very strict, but above all, fair. When I first walked into the DoJo, I fully expected to learn how to defend myself, that was never in question. But, in the insuring years, what dominated, was a certain code of conduct, that was gospel. We were taught to look up to Black Belts, not in a God like way, but as someone or something to strive toward. This wasn’t because of any fighting ability, but because of the way they conducted themselves. You see, from day one we were taught respect, integrity, discipline over our bodies, and a sense of fair play, all within a curriculum of self defense. Please, within this thread, tell us where your training is taking you and where you have arrived at.:asian:
I liked the post where the writer said it has to be in context. I do agree with that because there are most definitely different standards when it comes to this designation. That being said, in a more general sense to me it's the beginning of your journey as a martial artist. I qualify this as different than say the journey to get to the point where you've earned that belt because that's a process of learning how to be a martial artist. Once you are at the black belt level, and I don't think it has to be measured by an actual belt or ceremony, you are very proficient with technique and have begun to examine it and think about it at a higher level. No longer is "face value" acceptable. You should start to see how things connect, think conceptually, and be aware that the real challenge is just beginning; the one where you must be your own best teacher.

Draven

Green Belt
Reaction score
My first instructor in Karate had similar view as describe towards the idea of being black belt. However, my most influentual instructor taught me something very different, almost Machiavellian & Mr. Myogi-like...

"Titles do not honor men, men honor titles..." Niccolo Machiavelli

While a black belt is something to strive for it is an empty title. The true power behind a black belt is assumed; people a black belt makes you an expert or a master or even a student of advanced forms. It means nothing if I don't make myself mean something first. As always, always people will be fixed on the rank as a symbol of ability & honor the symbol not my personal growth as a human being which will matter most to me...

Latest Discussions