What Do You Think Legal Age Should Be?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
I have only one really strong feeling on any of this, and that relates to the legal age wherein one can smoke. That should be raised by one year, every year, until all of the grandfathered smokers have died. Then it should be banned.
We should ban alcohol too... oh wait... we did that, fat lot of good it did us. Maybe we could divert some of the U.S.'s money from the war on drugs to the war on smoking... banning it will be about as effective.

:p

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
I have only one really strong feeling on any of this, and that relates to the legal age wherein one can smoke. That should be raised by one year, every year, until all of the grandfathered smokers have died. Then it should be banned.
I love this idea!

I don't fully accept the comparison to alcohol. Alcohol has been ingrained in the culture for much, much larger--in cooking, in social ceremonies, etc. It's different.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I love this idea!

I don't fully accept the comparison to alcohol. Alcohol has been ingrained in the culture for much, much larger--in cooking, in social ceremonies, etc. It's different.
Fine, Ill buy that, but Banning Cocaine, Pot, etc... that didnt make it go away either. Good or Bad, Prohibition just doesnt work.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree in many ways. But...the other things you mention, alcohol included, produce an addictive feeling of euphoria. While a cigarette is relaxing to a smoker, it's not a comparable effect. I think it'd be easier here.

Admittedly, I could be wrong! But given that a smoker generally smokes tens of cigarettes a day at fairly regular intervals, each taking a few minutes to smoke and leaving a noticeable odor, if made illegal it'd be a hard habit to hide. (Yes, teenagers sometimes manage to hide it from their parents.) People would switch to nicotine pills or something!

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
mantis said:
i think it all depends on the culture
for example a 29 year old in the US still play video games and orders pizza because he's too lazy to make or get food, and too busy playing!
on the other hand in countries like african countries or in yemen, saudi, oman a boy who's 13 or 14 is ready to start a family, can suppor the family really well, handle a business that runs over 3 different countries or even join a militia and become a civil-war fighter and carry a full automatic machine gun!
How's that working out in Africa by the way?

Latest Discussions