Underage drinking and minimum age laws

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
The drinking age in the U.S. is currently 21. It is 18 in Canada and in the U.K.

Do you think setting a minimum age for drinking is effective or necessary, especially considering the prevalence of underage drinking? If you do not feel these laws are necessary, at what age do you think children should be taught how to drink *responsibly*?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As a law I think current ones are not that good, largely because I know very few people that did not break them. Most people I grew up with where drinking by 15-16. I also think that a lot of the drinking that got done might not have been so hard if it wasn't illegal. A bottle of Rum is easier to deal with then a 24 of beer for example.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It all depends on the culture. There really is no "magic age" that works for everyone. Of course, there must still be some standards, and this does NOT mean that we should allow young children to guzzle alcohol.

In places such as Germany, where there aren't such restrictions, it's a system that works. Drinking over there isn't sensationalized, and kids don't view it as forbidden fruit. In fact, in some beer halls, they'll even serve children a stein of beer (watered down a good bit, of course).

The penalties for infractions such as DUI are *very* severe, and can impact you for a lifetime. You really don't see many people getting into alcohol-related trouble over there, because the consequences for such actions are too great.

If we were to implement the removal of a drinking age in the US, then we'd be in for a very rough time. The way our society views alcohol, isn't conducive to such a thing.

OP
S

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
As a law I think current ones are not that good, largely because I know very few people that did not break them. Most people I grew up with where drinking by 15-16. I also think that a lot of the drinking that got done might not have been so hard if it wasn't illegal. A bottle of Rum is easier to deal with then a 24 of beer for example.

That's the reason why I put emphasis on the word *responsible*. Lord knows there are many adults who don't know how to drink responsibly; it isn't just a "underage drinking" problem. And yes, the "illegalness" of the act undoubtedly appeals to many young people.

I don't have the time to look up statistics right now, but doesn't France (which doesn't have a minimum drinking age) have *less* alcohol-related problems amongst its youth?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The drinking age in the U.S. is currently 21. It is 18 in Canada and in the U.K.

Do you think setting a minimum age for drinking is effective or necessary, especially considering the prevalence of underage drinking? If you do not feel these laws are necessary, at what age do you think children should be taught how to drink *responsibly*?

I think having the law in place is good, due to the fact that like any law, when its broken, the legal system has something to fall back on. On the other hand, underage people get served all the time. Many police depts. do underage stings at liquor stores and bars and its amazing how many clerks actually serve them even after they show the ID stating that they're underage.

Like any law, people break them all the time. People speed, people drive w/o insurance and a valid drivers license, etc.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think the question that gets raised there is "How long would the rough time last?"

I imagine a good number of underagers would immediately run to the Liquor store, but if it became legal, how long would that reaction last? WOuldn't it then cease to be sensationalized fairly quickly?

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think the question that gets raised there is "How long would the rough time last?"

I imagine a good number of underagers would immediately run to the Liquor store, but if it became legal, how long would that reaction last? WOuldn't it then cease to be sensationalized fairly quickly?

You might have a point.

My sister in law thinks it aweful that I allow my oldest daughter to have a drink at family gatherings. She feels because she is "underage" that I shouldn't allow it to happen. Funny thing is, I remember her "underage drinking" :D

I try not to sensationalize drinking alcohol to my children. They have NEVER seen me or my husband drunk. What they have seen is us enjoying, within limits, a drink or two at a social gathering. I think if it is presented to them in a reasonable fashion, it may help take the "lets go get drunk" attitude away.

OP
S

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think having the law in place is good, due to the fact that like any law, when its broken, the legal system has something to fall back on.

Considering how the American culture views and uses alcohol, I do see the rationale behind the drinking laws. However, they need to be enforced consistently, because...

MJS said:
On the other hand, underage people get served all the time.

Many college campuses are surrounded by restaurant/bars and liquor stores - even though the majority of the undergrad students are under 21. The fraternities don't seem to have any problems getting kegs for parties, and no one gets busted for underage drinking.

Did I mention the ease my high school classmates had in acquiring kegs for their parties?

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
IMO, they should lower the drinking age to 16 and raise the age for driving to 21.

That way they have several years to "get it out of their system" before they start to get behind the wheel of a 2,000 lb piece of metal that can go 120 mph.

I agree with Lisa that the best solution is to model responsible drinking.

Growing up, I drank underage and like an idiot, just like everybody else around.

Now that I'm pretty much grown up (some people may dispute this even though I am 39 ;) ) I very rarely (if ever) drink to drunkeness anymore, but in moderation like my parents and grandparents do.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think if a young person can vote and join the military, why the hell shouldn't they be able to get a drink? We'll trust them to defend our freedoms, but not to have a beer after a long day of training?

Jeff

OP
S

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
You might have a point.

My sister in law thinks it aweful that I allow my oldest daughter to have a drink at family gatherings. She feels because she is "underage" that I shouldn't allow it to happen. Funny thing is, I remember her "underage drinking" :D

I try not to sensationalize drinking alcohol to my children. They have NEVER seen me or my husband drunk. What they have seen is us enjoying, within limits, a drink or two at a social gathering. I think if it is presented to them in a reasonable fashion, it may help take the "lets go get drunk" attitude away.

Two of my underaged cousins (one is 19, and the other is 17) were drinking beer at my dad's 60th birthday party - in full view of their parents. Their dad even helped them open beer bottles. I teased them relentlessly for drinking beer in front of their parents. Looking back at their drinking, I don't think it was a bad thing. Both of their parents are college-educated working adults. As far as I know, they don't drink excessively in front of their kids.

My parents were different in that regard. They never drank in front of my brothers and I, period (they were never really much into drinking, anyway). Underaged drinking wasn't something they overly lectured us about, since we were all pretty "clean cut" kids. I didn't start drinking *socially* until I turned 21, and I don't think my brothers did either.

I also think that providing an example of responsible drinking behavior is effective. After all, parents *are* the greatest influence in their children's lives...much more than the children would like to admit. ;)

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think if a young person can vote and join the military, why the hell shouldn't they be able to get a drink? We'll trust them to defend our freedoms, but not to have a beer after a long day of training?

Jeff

That's not a problem - active duty personnel of any age can drink beer and wine in base clubs, and can buy six-packs at the package store. Still have to be 21 to order liquor, though.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's not a problem - active duty personnel of any age can drink beer and wine in base clubs, and can buy six-packs at the package store. Still have to be 21 to order liquor, though.
That's changed in the past ten years then.

Jeff

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was in the Marines from '89 to '93, and that was the policy everywhere we went. Even drove from Quantico up to the Air Force base in MD and were served in the E-club.

The one thing that bothered me was the barracks policy, which varied from one command to another. I turned 21 just before I went to Okinawa, and there the policy was that NCOs could have beer in their rooms. So here was I, a 21-year-old lance corporal who couldn't drink in his room, and across the hall was an 18-year-old corporal who had joined right after high school. He would open his door, drink deeply from his bottle, belch, and wave. Barstard.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, it must depend on commands. I started out at Ft. Ord, and the policy there was 21 even on post. Then it was Germany, and hell, they had beer in the vending machines there.

Jeff

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I think having the drinking age at 21 is pointless. Most of the younger people who want to drink will get access to alcohol anyway, and may engage in riskier behavior to get it than if they could walk in and buy it legally. Having the age so high encourages binge drinking in people below the legal drinking age (since it might be difficult for them to get, so becomes a much bigger deal) and to those just having reached 21 (Yeah, I'm finally legal... time to get 'faced). The US has one of the highest legal drinking ages, and I suspect has more alcohol-related problems (binge drinking, DUI, etc.) than countries with more relaxed regulations on alcohol.

The entire concept that you are legally an adult, are responsible enough to drive, vote, and/or die for your country, but can't be trusted with a beer is ridiculous.

Just my $0.02

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, it must depend on commands. I started out at Ft. Ord, and the policy there was 21 even on post. Then it was Germany, and hell, they had beer in the vending machines there.

Jeff

On the other hand, maybe they discontinued that policy by the time you joined. We had been abusing it pretty badly. ;) And yes, we had the beer vending machines in the barracks common room. Thought that was the coolest thing until I saw it was $1.75 a can. Highway robbery!

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not when I was in!!! what happened? I spent my whole tour of Duty in FT Knox. Now I'm mad.
Sean

Latest Discussions