What Do You Think Legal Age Should Be?

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
What do you think should be the legal age for every country as well as the age we declare people as adults. Some tribal states think 13 is the right age we declare them adults with equal rights, while other more conservative countries view 21. Many countries view 18 as well as the legal age. What do you think should be the legal age?

I think it should be 17, because if we take the average of 21 and 13 we would come out with 17. We can't say 21 is the right legal age more than 13, and vice versa. So in order to keep things fair and balanced I think 17 should be the legal age.

This works also for the ongoing debate between whether the legal age should be 16 or 18. 17 is the average of 16 and 18, and makes the most sense.

And by legal age I mean age they can vote, buy alcohol, gambel, drive a car, join the military, ect. (everything any other adult can do except maybe run for political power, which should be IMO 25).

What do you think?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Around 17 or 18 seems reasonable to me. What's the U.N.'s minimum age for soldiers? Was it 16?

Havingthe drinking age differ in the U.S. from the rest is weird, but the statistics on driving accidents to provide evidence of its effectiveness. You can't rent a car (sometimes) until 25, be president until 35...ther still isn't a single, universal age.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Around 17 or 18 seems reasonable to me. What's the U.N.'s minimum age for soldiers? Was it 16?

Havingthe drinking age differ in the U.S. from the rest is weird, but the statistics on driving accidents to provide evidence of its effectiveness. You can't rent a car (sometimes) until 25, be president until 35...ther still isn't a single, universal age.
What we have found is, children handle the transition to adulthood better when it's graduated. Wouldn't it seem wiser to ration out those big steps? Allow them to handle the transition one step at a time? Let them gain confidence and responsibility by failing and succeeding at lighter responsibilities first?

We've found that graduated driver's licenses have drastically reduced the number of teenagers killed in automobile crashes. Likewise, raising the drinking age to 21 has reduced the number of teens killed in similar instances.

Put simply, why do we suddenly want to have someone go from being a child with limited responsibilities (Not being able to drive, buy beer, buy alcohol, serve in the military, vote, buy cigarettes, etc) to suddenly having ALL of those adults choices and decisions in ONE single day? It seems as if we are asking an awful lot in a short time.

Imagine this conversation with a positive outcome:

"Happy 17th birthday, junior, now you're an adult...Here's the car keys, a 12 pack of beer and a pack of cigarettes...Now go out there and make good decisions."

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kane said:
What do you think should be the legal age for every country as well as the age we declare people as adults. Some tribal states think 13 is the right age we declare them adults with equal rights, while other more conservative countries view 21. Many countries view 18 as well as the legal age. What do you think should be the legal age?

I think it should be 17, because if we take the average of 21 and 13 we would come out with 17. We can't say 21 is the right legal age more than 13, and vice versa. So in order to keep things fair and balanced I think 17 should be the legal age.

This works also for the ongoing debate between whether the legal age should be 16 or 18. 17 is the average of 16 and 18, and makes the most sense.

And by legal age I mean age they can vote, buy alcohol, gambel, drive a car, join the military, ect. (everything any other adult can do except maybe run for political power, which should be IMO 25).

What do you think?
I think I was a blithering idiot until I was about 28, lol. At 17 I certainly had no place behind the wheel , drinking, gambling or casting my vote based on my narrow perspective on politics and economy.

I kinda like the ages we have set in most of the USA. Except I don't think 16 year olds should be driving unless they have a job to go to.

Korppi76

Green Belt
Reaction score
In Finland legal age is 18 for almost everything, you used to be able to go army in the year you get 17 but not any more.(Amnesty complained about childreds in the army)
Only exceptions are that you have to be atleast 21 to get tractor-trailer driving licence, but they are now rising truck driving licence age also higher so that age will also rise ( you have to had truck driving licence for 3 year before you can get tractor-trailer driving licence)
Also you have to be 20 to get hard liquors.

I think those are quite good limits.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
What we have found is, children handle the transition to adulthood better when it's graduated. Wouldn't it seem wiser to ration out those big steps? Allow them to handle the transition one step at a time? Let them gain confidence and responsibility by failing and succeeding at lighter responsibilities first?
This makes a lot of sense, and we do have a number of gradations--age of consent for sex and for marriage, driving, voting/enlisting/smoking, alcohol, being in Congress, etc. The question was "What do you think should be the legal age for every country as well as the age we declare people as adults" and I answered it as given, but as I indicated in my post it's hard to argue with some of the positive effects of stepping through these milestones.

Philosophically, a single age of majority would be nice...but it isn't that simple.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:

We've found that graduated driver's licenses have drastically reduced the number of teenagers killed in automobile crashes. Likewise, raising the drinking age to 21 has reduced the number of teens killed in similar instances.

Put simply, why do we suddenly want to have someone go from being a child with limited responsibilities (Not being able to drive, buy beer, buy alcohol, serve in the military, vote, buy cigarettes, etc) to suddenly having ALL of those adults choices and decisions in ONE single day? It seems as if we are asking an awful lot in a short time.

Imagine this conversation with a positive outcome:

"Happy 17th birthday, junior, now you're an adult...Here's the car keys, a 12 pack of beer and a pack of cigarettes...Now go out there and make good decisions."
Here is one of those rare moments where SgtMac and I agree. Having everything dropped in a kid's lap all at once is a bit of a shock I think. Then again, I also think the minimum age for the military, voting, and drinking should all be the same age (over 20).

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kane said:

What do you think?
doesnt matter what age as long as you get full rights
i mean you can go to war at 18 but u cant drink until ur 21 and you cant rent a car until you're 25?!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My persective is 18, if you can go to war and be killed then you should be able to buy beer and alcohol at 18. At 18 you shopuld become a man no matter what the government.

Terry

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This is one of those threads that will never be anything more than opinion based on little substantial evidence. ...So, hey, why not throw my two cents in too!

Voting could come as early as 17. I think voting is an important part of a person's integration into society. Young people are too often disregarded here. They see as much of the news and events as anyone else and most have ideas on at least some issues.

Tobacco use is disgusting any way I look at it. I prefer it be illegal but that isn't going to happen nor would it work any better than prohibition. So, I say keep it at 18. There is little reason to argue that someone at 17 or 21 will make any better or worse decision regarding its use. Further, most of the ppl I know who smoke started before they were of legal age to buy tobacco. It's not a deterrant because anyone can bum a cigarette.

Alcohol use is a bit different in that its use actually alters one's decision making process, reactions, and attitudes. Again, most ppl start drinking prior to the legal age (at the very least when they go to college at 18). Also, one's ability to function when drunk is as impaired in a 35 yr old as in a 20 yr old. Still, it is harder to get a drink from a bar than it is a cigarette somewhere. No need to open the doors further. So, reluctantly again, I say keep that at 21.

Driving statistics are scary. The number one cause of death between 16 and 25 is auto accident. However, I don't think it it only age that is the factor. It is also sheer inexperience. Here is where I think a graduated program is necessary.

Learner's permit (driving with a licensed adult) at 15 is acceptable. I think the licensed adult needs to be over 20 with at least 2 yrs of fully licensed experience. I don't think the new user should be able to move from the learner's permit to a full license until they have had 2 yrs of driving experience.

That would apply to someone who get's their learner's at 15 and then license at 17 but even to someone who starts with a learner's at 40. Ppl would raise cain about it but so what. There need to be less inexperienced drivers on the road running around by themselves. Just because you're 45 and decide to finally buy a car doesn't mean you can drive better than a 19 yr old who's been driving for 4 yrs.

I also think that all adults should have to take a recertification test in driving every 3 yrs, every year over the age of 70. Grandma Sally toolin' down the passing lane at 35 mph with her glass eye is as common and as dangerous as 16 yr old Britney.

Joining the military? I'll go with 17 on this for the same reason that I mentioned on voting.

And finally, the legal age of sexual consent. I think the legal age should be 15. ... Go on now. Gather the firewood. I'm about to be burned at the stake for this one.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i think it all depends on the culture
for example a 29 year old in the US still play video games and orders pizza because he's too lazy to make or get food, and too busy playing!
on the other hand in countries like african countries or in yemen, saudi, oman a boy who's 13 or 14 is ready to start a family, can suppor the family really well, handle a business that runs over 3 different countries or even join a militia and become a civil-war fighter and carry a full automatic machine gun!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, it varies quite a bit with the culture. It's a complicated issue! Still, a 13 year old may be expected to start a family, and able to do so...but is he truly ready, in any culture?

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Yes, it varies quite a bit with the culture. It's a complicated issue! Still, a 13 year old may be expected to start a family, and able to do so...but is he truly ready, in any culture?
they can take care of their family, parents and siblings, a new family the start, meaning a wife and kids, and do great at business too...
before 911 there used to be lots of them studying in colleges, and i met several of them. they all disappeared after 911, moved to england mostly.
they were from Yemen mostly, some saudi's.
what surprises me is they have a really low rate of divorce and things like that. so 13 --> grave, and they're happy!

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think a 13 yr old is anywhere near ready to start a family. I was 35 and I'm still not ready!

Even if he/she was emotionally ready, I wouldn't want them to miss out on the experiences that one can have when free from the responsibilities of marriage and children. Too many ppl have a family to care for long before they've had a chance to explore the world and understand themselves.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My thought is :

If your old enough to be in the military and fight and possibly die for your country you should be of legal age for anything

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Age is an arbitary Number assigned at birth.

I know 16 year old girls, who thru the circumstances of their harsh upbringing would make better, more mature responsible parents than some women I know in their mid-twenties.

I was Drinking at 15... and aside from the fact that I was, well, breaking the law, I never acted irresponsibly with it... I never drove after drinking, etc... can the same be said of many adults, including many of our political leaders???

Age. Bah.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Technopunk said:

I know 16 year old girls, who thru the circumstances of their harsh upbringing would make better, more mature responsible parents than some women I know in their mid-twenties.

I was Drinking at 15... and aside from the fact that I was, well, breaking the law, I never acted irresponsibly with it... I never drove after drinking, etc... can the same be said of many adults, including many of our political leaders???

Age. Bah.
so you suggest it depends on each person, and maybe shouldnt be generalized? I agree with you, but if I were a law maker this would create a nightmare..

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Technopunk said:

Age. Bah.
That is a good point, however age is easily measured. Maturity is extremely subjective, and is going to be impossible to coordinate a standard on.

I could see lowering age requirements across the board in light of the common consensus that children mature faster today than in the past, but make the penalties stiffer. DUI? 1st offense, your license is gone for 5 years. 2nd? Permanently. Driving without a license? Jail time and steep fines. That would weed people out who abused the system (hopefully). I'd hope that wouldn't happen, though, since the governmental abuse could be monstrous.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OUMoose said:
That is a good point, however age is easily measured. Maturity is extremely subjective, and is going to be impossible to coordinate a standard on.
Understandable... I just think that we are really hung up on age...

Age to drink, age to drive, age to own a weapon, age to have sex, age to appear naked, age to serve in the military, age to drop out of school...

I wonder somtimes if its all neccessary... and who decides, and why...

Yay! I enlisted at 17, but couldnt be Shipped off to basic till 18, but couldnt actually OWN my weapon till I was 21!!!!

Ahem. Yeah.

Just like I wonder why one state a girl isnt a woman and legal to have sex till 18, but the next state over its 15... I was unaware we varied so much as a person from state-to-state.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have only one really strong feeling on any of this, and that relates to the legal age wherein one can smoke. That should be raised by one year, every year, until all of the grandfathered smokers have died. Then it should be banned.

Latest Discussions