What do you think about scott Adkins upward side kick?

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Adkins for those who don't know is from an ITF-style background (TAGB) but these days mixes things from other systems

I have never seen a side kick taught this way but he sure gets a lot of power on the holder.Why isn't this version ever taught in TKD at least as an alternative?

Could it be that it's not a practical method for average people? Does it require more raw strength?

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Quite common in my WT(F) training.
I never saw it as something all that special just because it is such a natural thing to do imo.

If the distance is right and somebody's leg is not in my way, I'm probably going to throw it more this style.
I get more power this way, but this is also my preferred method so I can't really say if it's superior.

There are lots of occasions when I need to lift my knee though. It's all side kick to me.
You gotta throw it how you gotta throw it given a certain situation and this is just another cool way to get it done.

edit: hit submit too early lol

Last edited:
OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Quite common in my WT(F) training.
I never saw it as something all that special just because it is such a natural thing to do imo.

Does it generate more power for you?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
sorry I edited my first post, but short answer: yes.

But he is kicking a curved shield pointing down. Does it really work as effective on a front facing, flat plastic kicking shield?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Think about the target area and think in the sparring/fighting dimension. Not in the classic board breaking dimension. All of his kicks were mid-height, torso level. The angular motion would be negligible in terms of diminishing effectiveness. It has a Lot to do with how he is making power. He is penetrating And has some upward motion. The would potentially be more effective or painful for the recipient.
I agree with @paitingman that it is another kick in the tool bag. For example, if a person is knee checking a lot or hands low or fighting very closed stance, putting the knee into the kick to get higher sooner makes sense. Or, if they are always on the aggressive using the 'sweeping' or 'upward' side kick is a better, quicker choice.
You have to measure time as a Big factor in your kicking choices. When kicking a target or board time in not a large factor. When the target is dynamic and ever changing time is a major factor so your kick has to accommodate the time issue.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Think about the target area and think in the sparring/fighting dimension. Not in the classic board breaking dimension. All of his kicks were mid-height, torso level. The angular motion would be negligible in terms of diminishing effectiveness. It has a Lot to do with how he is making power. He is penetrating And has some upward motion. The would potentially be more effective or painful for the recipient.
I agree with @paitingman that it is another kick in the tool bag. For example, if a person is knee checking a lot or hands low or fighting very closed stance, putting the knee into the kick to get higher sooner makes sense. Or, if they are always on the aggressive using the 'sweeping' or 'upward' side kick is a better, quicker choice.
You have to measure time as a Big factor in your kicking choices. When kicking a target or board time in not a large factor. When the target is dynamic and ever changing time is a major factor so your kick has to accommodate the time issue.

Is it a functional variant in sparring?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I rarely see WT guys use side kicks in their sparring old school or new...let alone Adkins version.

ITF Taekwondo guys use a lot more side kicks but the classical trajectory.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The two variations feel very similar to turning side kick vs back kick for me.
The upward variation feels much closer to a back kick in the way I use my back and my glutes.

Look at the difference in set up he shows between the two. For the more classical side kick: the back foot is placed right alongside the other. When he shows the variation: he does a grapevine type step behind his kicking leg. This body position is very similar to when you are about to throw a back kick. Your body is wound up in a way that you can really engage the back and glutes. Trying to do a classical side kick chamber from this position feels silly and unnatural.

You also need space to do this grapevine step which is what I meant by correct distance in my first post.
Watch Bruce Lee do his stepping side kick and try it out. It feels really good when you've got it down, but if you want to use the kick you've got to create the right moment or learn to seize it when it appears.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The two variations feel very similar to turning side kick vs back kick for me.
The upward variation feels much closer to a back kick in the way I use my back and my glutes.

Look at the difference in set up he shows between the two. For the more classical side kick: the back foot is placed right alongside the other. When he shows the variation: he does a grapevine type step behind his kicking leg. This body position is very similar to when you are about to throw a back kick. Your body is wound up in a way that you can really engage the back and glutes. Trying to do a classical side kick chamber from this position feels silly and unnatural.

You also need space to do this grapevine step which is what I meant by correct distance in my first post.
Watch Bruce Lee do his stepping side kick and try it out. It feels really good when you've got it down, but if you want to use the kick you've got to create the right moment or learn to seize it when it appears.

Bruce Lee used the classical trajectory of the leg. I would take Joe Lewis's side kick over Bruce Lee's

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Bruce Lee used the classical trajectory of the leg. I would take Joe Lewis's side kick over Bruce Lee's
I would disagree but he does show a great chambered side kick too.
But do you want discuss the kick or just take Joe Lewis's word for it?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I would disagree but he does show a great chambered side kick too.
But do you want discuss the kick or just take Joe Lewis's word for it?

I disagree that Bruce Lee kicks upward. He uses a side back hybrid but in a straight line.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I wasn't saying "look at how Bruce's kick is going upward."

I was more referring to muscle engagement and how he uses his body.

But is his a "classic" chamber like you were saying or is it now a "side back hybrid" ?
I'm getting confused here.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Pretty terrible if you ask me. Also sloppy foot control.

You're looking at someone playing in their backyard lol.

Try the kick out and have some fun and experiment and please make more posts about how you like or dislike it.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
[
You're looking at someone playing in their backyard lol.

Try the kick out and have some fun and experiment and please make more posts about how you like or dislike it.

Same sloppyness here with the lead round kick

Starts at 3:04

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Pretty terrible if you ask me. Also sloppy foot control.

Also please don't get too hung up on Bruce Lee.
This isn't about Bruce Lee or Joe Lewis lol.

I was only trying to say that there's good images of Bruce using that grapevine wind up and putting a lot of force into his kick like I was talking about.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Also please don't get too hung up on Bruce Lee.
This isn't about Bruce Lee or Joe Lewis lol.

I was only trying to say that there's good images of Bruce using that grapevine wind up and putting a lot of force into his kick like I was talking about.

Again, he isn't going upwards with the foot when doing it.

Latest Discussions