What do you think about scott Adkins upward side kick?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When did I say he is kicking upwards?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Then why mention him? The thread is about the trajectory of the kick displayed by Adkins, which is clearly deviant from how it is classically taught.

I have no opinion on whether it is good or bad but let's compare to people who actually do it.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Then why mention him? The thread is about the trajectory of the kick displayed by Adkins, which is clearly deviant from how it is classically taught.

I have no opinion on whether it is good or bad but let's compare to people who actually do it.
I've already answered this... And you responded lol

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've already answered this... And you responded lol

The factors you mentioned: combining back kick with side kick mechanics is equally compatible with travelling in a straight line with the foot, and is very common in TKD.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The factors you mentioned: combining back kick with side kick mechanics is equally compatible with travelling in a straight line with the foot, and is very common in TKD.
I agree with all that but what's your point?
Your foot can travel in a straight line with these mechanics but they are still relevant.
Even Scott Adkins briefly touches on it in the video.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I agree with all that but what's your point?
Your foot can travel in a straight line with these mechanics but they are still relevant.
Even Scott Adkins briefly touches on it in the video.

My point is that the upward trajectory is a major devation, and there must be a reason for that.

You have yet to post any clip of WT training with upward side kicks.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My point is that the upward trajectory is a major devation, and there must be a reason for that.

You have yet to post any clip of WT training with upward side kicks.
I'm gonna bow out here. Have fun training.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The deep chamber is taught early on to develop the body mechanics. As the student progresses, the chamber gradually changes and turns into what you're showing in this video. Or at least that's how I've taught it for a bazillion years. And my KJN agrees.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The deep chamber is taught early on to develop the body mechanics. As the student progresses, the chamber gradually changes and turns into what you're showing in this video. Or at least that's how I've taught it for a bazillion years. And my KJN agrees.

I wasn't talking about the chamber.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I wasn't talking about the chamber.

It's part and parcel of the same thing. To do the kick as he describes, the chamber has to evolve. And if the chamber evolves, you'll be doing the kick the way he shows.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's part and parcel of the same thing. To do the kick as he describes, the chamber has to evolve. And if the chamber evolves, you'll be doing the kick the way he shows.

I don't side kick upwards regardless of my tightness on the chamber, and I don't see anyone in my TKD club do it either.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
OK. No problem. Look at the OP in this thread. He's doing it.

Yeah he's the exception, hence my thread. Adkins stopped training ITF style formally after 4 years, age 16 or 17.... So quite a while ago. I guarantee you that he was not taught to do it that way, or he should ask for his money back...

NEVER seen an upward side kick in TKD before in target practise. Sorry if I went all Trump on you with the capital letters but it needed that extra boost.

Now, if you can show me anyone doing it in power training.... Then sir, you will have the distinguished honor of shutting me up.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah he's the exception, hence my thread. Adkins stopped training ITF style formally after 4 years, age 16 or 17.... So quite a while ago. I guarantee you that he was not taught to do it that way, or he should ask for his money back...

NEVER seen an upward side kick in TKD before in target practise. Sorry if I went all Trump on you with the capital letters but it needed that extra boost.

Now, if you can show me anyone doing it in power training.... Then sir, you will have the distinguished honor of shutting me up.

Ummmmm... he's showing you how he does it in power training. And it is undeniably a powerful kick.
So that means you're going to shut up now?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ummmmm... he's showing you how he does it in power training. And it is undeniably a powerful kick.
So that means you're going to shut up now?

No because he is not doing a Taekwondo demonstration. In fact, he prefaces the demonstration by saying exactly that. A bit slow today, are we?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got any WT footage of that variant being drilled? I have been in the TKD world for 6 years and it's first I've seen it.
That's not as long as it seems. I've been training for almost 40 years, and there are many things I've not yet seen.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
[Adkins for those who don't know is from an ITF-style background (TAGB) but these days mixes things from other systems

I have never seen a side kick taught this way but he sure gets a lot of power on the holder.Why isn't this version ever taught in TKD at least as an alternative?

Could it be that it's not a practical method for average people? Does it require more raw strength?[/QUOTE]

When it comes to the side kick there are countless variations. I thing General Choi says somewhere something to the effect that there are standard ways of doing things but applications my require a variation. You could ask a similar question as to why do ITF people often in sparring use Boxing like hand techniques with hands starting up by their head when these don't appear in the Chang Hon Syllabus.

So, what side kick variation works depends on the situation. The kick Adkins shows is great and more similar to the Chang Hon Back Piercing kick variation. The high chamber makes the kick less susceptible to being leg checked or blocked by the opponent and a high re chamber makes multiple kicking quicker. By the same token this kick from the ground might be a lot better / quicker for kicks below the waste.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Here is a TAGB masters seminar.. he talks about a straight line at 37:44... in reference to the side kick

Just as I expected.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't side kick upwards regardless of my tightness on the chamber, and I don't see anyone in my TKD club do it either.
If you never side kick 'upwards' how do you ever make a head level side kick?
We all get that this is a different variation of a side kick. But is it something new and unique? Absolutely not. Is he more practiced and polished at this variant? It certainly appears that way.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions