Ptkd?

OP
T

TKDTony2179

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well, Cyriacus let see here.

If someone has to step in to punch, they suck. Just saying.
I think everyone has to step into a punch unless they got super long arms. Let's look at it like this. If they are already right outside of punch range then they will have to take a step to punch you. Regardless of style or no style they have to step with front foot or worse the back foot to reach you.

If you parry it, you saw it coming. If you saw it coming, you could have/should have left.

True I could walk away but if the situration calls for me to defend myself and running away isn't an option then a low side kick it is.

It wouldnt. Think! Why does someone grab you? If theyre just doing it to be intimidating, attacking them is a crime for the most part. If someone grabs you, its to throw you, push you back, headbutt you, knee you, choke you, hold you while their mate does something... Youre not gonna create space by causing them pain, youll CAUSE the fight to start.
Attacking them is a crime? But someone grabs me and i am to stay calm about it or let their mate hit me? Umm no. If you are arguing with me and I decide to let it go but you grabbed me and maybe sholved me then yea you started a fight. Then I would try to defend myself. When I talk about creating an opening I am meaning by hitting something the interrupts the balance, creates pain so they can't fight back, or something of that nature. Cause if they grabbed me then they may hit me right after. Plus if they are already bigger than me I don't think wrist lock and armbars will do me any good if they are all tensed up.

Even after a couple of jab, cross, rear leg round kicks to the knees would hurt most people."
If you have the room to do any of that.

Yelp if I have room then yea. I wouldn't do it if I was in stand up grappling range. (clinch range)

Well, i agree that the last part is helpful, however i think youre thinking of a different kind of weapons

I was thinking of the body and all the weapons it can have.

But my question to you Cyriacus would you use a jump spin back kick even in a no dojang enviroment? Just wondering.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, Cyriacus let see here.

I think everyone has to step into a punch unless they got super long arms. Let's look at it like this. If they are already right outside of punch range then they will have to take a step to punch you. Regardless of style or no style they have to step with front foot or worse the back foot to reach you.

When was the last time you saw someone attack someone else from outside arms length? Fight them, sure. Attack them, no. If youre looking at self defense, you shouldnt be fighting.

True I could walk away but if the situration calls for me to defend myself and running away isn't an option then a low side kick it is.

Sure thing. But that situation aint gonna come up very often. At least not in a situation where you even get a chance to defend yourself.

Attacking them is a crime? But someone grabs me and i am to stay calm about it or let their mate hit me? Umm no. If you are arguing with me and I decide to let it go but you grabbed me and maybe sholved me then yea you started a fight. Then I would try to defend myself. When I talk about creating an opening I am meaning by hitting something the interrupts the balance, creates pain so they can't fight back, or something of that nature. Cause if they grabbed me then they may hit me right after. Plus if they are already bigger than me I don't think wrist lock and armbars will do me any good if they are all tensed up.

Oh, its a crime. Self defense is the fine art of justifying the fact that you just committed a crime, so that a jury decides its okay to not walk you out with a criminal record and jail time. That includes jointlocks. If youre disrupting balance, keep in mind that their balance is augmented by your balance, and your standing on one leg makes it easier for them to toss you. For funsies, grab a friend by his collar with both hands, right up close, body to body, then just drag him/throw him to the ground. Its really easy.

Yelp if I have room then yea. I wouldn't do it if I was in stand up grappling range. (clinch range)

Cool.

I was thinking of the body and all the weapons it can have.

Exactly.

But my question to you Cyriacus would you use a jump spin back kick even in a no dojang enviroment? Just wondering.

Nope. To me, legs are for making takedowns work better. Thats about it. But thats my personal preference. Im not knocking your approach to things, just pointing out where you might wanna change the context a bit, and asking about some other stuff :)
I did, however, comment that you can use anything. You can. But if you have the time to do a jump spin back kick, you also have the time to do more useful things.

Latest Discussions