What do you think about Kajukenbo?

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
dsp921 said:
Connected? Sure. Common lineage? Not really, there are points in the lineages that are common between two or more, but the entire lineage is not the same. And at each branch point in the family tree there were changes made, so the systems are very different.
I am not syaing that the techniques and/or methods are entirly the same. I am saying that do they share a common lineage?

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Danjo said:
Hmmmm. That's interesting because it goes against everything written about him and his promotions.
Exactly what, written where and by who?:idunno:

Danjo said:
Also, Cerio was not claiming the 9th until Parker gave it to him in their mutual art of "American Kenpo" according to the Cerio people.
Well then it must be so if his people say so.:idunno:

Danjo said:
What's usually written is that Parker was promoted by Chow to 1st degree so that he could teach on the mainland. There is much speculation on whether his 3rd from Chow was real or forged due to the fact that Chow claimed he didn't talk to Parker after giving him a 1st degree black.

The story then goes that Parker, in 1964, went from 3rd to 6th in a hotel room in Long Beach before the tournament because that would be the rank suitable for one hosting the tournament.
Yes, to my knowledge he received his black belt from Chow, this is common knowledge, as to the other promotions.... like you say speculation. What I do know is that no one including Chow dared to dispute any of his ranks when he was alive with him...... would you?

Danjo said:
His 8th has always been reported as having come from Emperado. Where he got the rest of his ranks I don't know. But if these facts are all wrong, by all means post the actual history here.
It is also well known that Emperado was his senior and he even stated that himself to me. However, I believe the 8th was a gesture of accomplishment from Emperado not a necessity or asked for. There you have it.

:asian:

An Eternal Student

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are any Kajukenbo dojo's in Ireland?It seems that there are a whole load of styles that have never shown up over here, more's the pity.

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
An Eternal Student said:
Does anyone know if there are any Kajukenbo dojo's in Ireland?It seems that there are a whole load of styles that have never shown up over here, more's the pity.
Kajukenbo Cafe doesn't show any schools in Ireland, but I don't know how complete the listings are. You might go over there and ask....

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
Exactly what, written where and by who?:idunno:

Well then it must be so if his people say so.:idunno:

Yes, to my knowledge he received his black belt from Chow, this is common knowledge, as to the other promotions.... like you say speculation. What I do know is that no one including Chow dared to dispute any of his ranks when he was alive with him...... would you?

It is also well known that Emperado was his senior and he even stated that himself to me. However, I believe the 8th was a gesture of accomplishment from Emperado not a necessity or asked for. There you have it.

1) It's in many places on the net. I'll find some and post said links.

2) Cerio's people are not to be trusted, but we take your say so at face value?

3) I think it's more that Chow didn't BOTHER to dispute Parker's claims, not that he didn't DARE. I don't think Chow was afraid of Parker.

Anyways, I've got nothing against Parker, just those students of his that think he walked on water and the rest were having trouble dog paddling.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
DavidCC said:
Not to be too nit-picky, but Pesare was only ever ranked to purple belt by Sijo Gascon. Well, later on, like in early 2000's, he was given some high dan rank... but when he moved from the west coast to east in the 70s he was a purple belt. Clearly a talented Martial Artist, don't get me wrong... but he was not a black belt when he started teaching (and promoting people) in New England.
You are dead on right about that one. My mistake. David, do me a favor and ask Shihan Geary when the dvd interview will be up for purchase please. PM me with the answer if you like.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Danjo said:
Cerio's people are not to be trusted, but we take your say so at face value?

I never said that they are not to be trusted, time seems to alter a lot of history these days.....

As for me, I think my track record speaks for itself, like any one else, believe it or don't (that's up to the individual)...... LOL I was there at the time.

Danjo said:
3) I think it's more that Chow didn't BOTHER to dispute Parker's claims, not that he didn't DARE. I don't think Chow was afraid of Parker.

Personally I don't think he was afraid of Ed Parker either, but since HE didn't bother then why the hell should anyone else either, after all, it was his student.

Danjo said:
Anyways, I've got nothing against Parker, just those students of his that think he walked on water and the rest were having trouble dog paddling.

Well, he knew himself that he didn't walk on water (only 1 did that), but he was quite the innovater! I know, and agree, that some take that a bit far at times.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
I never said that they are not to be trusted, time seems to alter a lot of history these days.....

As for me, I think my track record speaks for itself, like any one else, believe it or don't (that's up to the individual)...... LOL I was there at the time.

Personally I don't think he was afraid of Ed Parker either, but since HE didn't bother then why the hell should anyone else either, after all, it was his student.

Well, he knew himself that he didn't walk on water (only 1 did that), but he was quite the innovater! I know, and agree, that some take that a bit far at times.
Peace.

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
believe it or don't (that's up to the individual)......
I think that this is probably the best advice possible for this and many debates that seem to repeat themselves on the various forums. Do your research, talk to whoever you can, gather your information and make your decision. In the end it doesn't change how you train or what you learn. It would be nice to see the Kenpo community get along better at times, but what family doesn't have it's disagreements?

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
dsp921 said:
" believe it or don't (that's up to the individual)......"

I think that this is probably the best advice possible for this and many debates that seem to repeat themselves on the various forums. Do your research, talk to whoever you can, gather your information and make your decision. In the end it doesn't change how you train or what you learn. It would be nice to see the Kenpo community get along better at times, but what family doesn't have it's disagreements?
:wink:

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Danjo said:
You are dead on right about that one. My mistake. David, do me a favor and ask Shihan Geary when the dvd interview will be up for purchase please. PM me with the answer if you like.
You can buy it right now at http://www.kempokarate.com/geary_collection.cfm

It is on the DVD titled

"Sijo Gascon visits Omaha" you get the interview as well as a seminar presented by Prof. Rash and Sigung Namahoe, and the footage of the 6th degree promotion ceremony. Sigung Namhoe does some brick breaking too...

bdocili

White Belt
Reaction score
Let's tell it like it was...... Sure in the later years he became a student of Chow's but early on.......... he was first a student of Ed Parker's, which is where he received his black belt before changing later.

Uhhhh, wrong. You really should research this before posting something that claims that Castro has been lying all of these years.

GGM Castro lived in Hawaii. He was a student of Professor Chow until he moved to the SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA. He never lived in Southern California and never actually was taught by SGM Parker. Now, IT IS TRUE that SGM Parker gave GGM Castro his first black belt. But, it was awarded in recognition of Castro's proficiency in the art of Kenpo (as taught by Professor Chow) NOT in American Kenpo. At the time, GGM Castro did not know if he would ever see the Professor again. The black belt was also given to him for business reasons because this brought GGM Castros school into the Ed Parker fold. I believe that SGM Parker continued to give rank to GGM Castro until Castro recieved his grandmastership directly from Professor Chow. I know that GGM Castro was given his 9th degree black belt from Professor Chow and I remember my first belt ranking certificate (Purple belt back in 1982) had both Professor Chow and GGM Castro's signature on it.

Here are a few articles to help dispell this myth before it passes around the Internet.

http://www.shaolinkenpo.com/memorial.htm

Highlights of above article:

Ralph Castro:
I first met Ed in 1954 while we were in Coast Guard training in Alameda, California. I found out about him because he was a local boy from Hawaii like me, so we used to get together and play the ukulele. We passed the time away by entertaining ourselves and our friends. I didn't know at that time that he knew karate.

The year after my discharge from the service, I went back to Hawaii to train with Professor William Chow. Professor Chow had some pictures, and I recognized Ed Parker, who was a brown belt at that time. I said "My God, I know this man very well. We served together in the service." When I left Professor Chow to come to the mainland, I contacted Ed.
I joined his association and he helped me with my business. I also received my first black belt from Ed Parker, and I treated him as my senior, since I could no longer train with Professor Chow. I received rank promotions from him until the later years, when I was recognized by Professor Chow, who promoted me to the rank that I am.

http://www.shaolinkenpo.com/faqs.htm

In 1960, Ed Parker gave Ralph Castro a black belt to recognize his proficiency in kenpo karate. Parker thus endorsed Ralph Castro and his large school (Ralph Castro Kenpo Karate, San Francisco, started in 1958) in the KKAA. That recognition, and their subsequent collaboration, expanded the membership and influence of the KKAA into northern California. In turn, it provided an early network for Ralph Castro and his school to have a relationship with the kenpo practitioners who were based in southern California.

The black belt award from Ed Parker placed Ralph Castro in the Parker lineage (family tree) among his earliest black belts. Today, some who don't know the history, have a false impression that Ralph Castro was a student of Ed Parker, or that he studied American Kenpo Karate. Not true -- Ralph Castro and his school were among the exceptions who were members of Ed Parker's associations by affiliation only. Ralph Castro was not a student of Ed Parker, but their professional relationship stemmed from the fact that they both had studied under the same teacher, Professor Chow. Later, after the formation of Ed Parker's International Kenpo Karate Association, IKKA (1963), Ralph Castro and his school changed affiliation to remain associated with, and supportive of, Ed Parker. It was IKKA that sanctioned the early years of Ralph Castro's California Karate Championship annual tournaments.

Latest Discussions