What do you miss?

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was reading an article in a magazine a few years back and something very disturbing was brought to my attention.

The article was entitled: "Things We said Good Bye to in the 90's".

The one thing that has stuck in my mind the most was the fact the we said good bye to the right to privacy.
In the great "freedom of information" age we live in,the right to privacy has been totally abused and stomped all over and become non-exsistant for us "average joe's" (or janes).
I also believe the right to true honesty has been all but destroyed as well due to "PC" for the fear of "offending" certain groups.Some of who,by the way,only jump the gun AFTER they have asked your HONEST opinion because it doesn't agree with thiers.If you might even think there is a possiblity of a disagreement...DON'T ASK. Then I won't won't have to break my morality and lie to you.

So.....
What do you miss?
and if possible...why?

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mail.

I like letters that come in the mail with real postage stamps and stickers on them.

Email has obliterated pen pals.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Samantha said:
Mail.

I like letters that come in the mail with real postage stamps and stickers on them.

Email has obliterated pen pals.
Oddly enough I am not sad to see snail mail go. I can't count how many packages, letters, most reicently paid bills! have been lost via snail mail.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Hmmmmm....

Nirvana... Good music.
I said good bye to high school, and all the innocence to the real world that entails.
We said good-bye to a Bush, only to get stuck with another one...

I guess the biggest thing I can think of that's now gone is talking face-to-face. Anyone remember when you had to GO to someone's house to hang out, as opposed to texting/IM's/celphones/etc? The subtle art of social interaction is losing ground, in favor of comments like "how r u? wut r u doin 2nite?" *shakes head*...

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OUMoose said:
Hmmmmm....

Nirvana... Good music.
I said good bye to high school, and all the innocence to the real world that entails.
We said good-bye to a Bush, only to get stuck with another one...

I guess the biggest thing I can think of that's now gone is talking face-to-face. Anyone remember when you had to GO to someone's house to hang out, as opposed to texting/IM's/celphones/etc? The subtle art of social interaction is losing ground, in favor of comments like "how r u? wut r u doin 2nite?" *shakes head*...
Ahh face to face communication... yes I often forget what thats like. I live in the dorms at my school. Often I use instant messengers to talk to people just down the hall from me. *sigh* As for cell phones.. they could all stop working for all I care, there is nothing more annoying than standing behind some one in a grocery store line so engrossed in their coversation that they keep everyone waiting.
sniper.gif
kaioken.gif
tantrum.gif
Instagib.gif

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Play.

Kids are so structured that everything they do is scheduled, supervised and directed. Seeing a group of young kids playing in the park, without an adult is rarity now it seems...

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
well, there should be an adult there... but not directing and telling them what to do.... kidnappers and child molesters and the like...

OP
Bammx2

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Samantha said:
well, there should be an adult there... but not directing and telling them what to do.... kidnappers and child molesters and the like...
hence another thing we should ALL miss......
safety fo our children without having to "hawk" over them all the time.
God bless the best legal system money can buy!

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Samantha said:
I don't know, do a search, how many children where kiddnapped or molested in your city by stranger in the past 10 years?

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I miss the hair on the back of my head; it was there when the 90's started but it must have moved back to So Cal without me.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I miss getting only a few pieces of mail each day instead of the 20 pieces I receive every day.

I miss the 10 cent stamp.

I miss the lack of bombardment by electronic devices.

I miss summers at the lake with people who appreciated nature and respected others, rather than summers at the lake with people who appreciated their beer, cigarettes, cursing in front of children, spilling oil and gas from their masses of jetskis into the lake, and rap music at the camp site.

I miss the Dipsey-Doodle ice cream bus that lumbered down our street once a week.

I miss good music and real musicians.

I miss quiet classrooms and book report assignments.

... being single,

... my life without Clairol, L'oreal Preference or Garnier Nutrisse.

... fitting into my size 5 jeans - without the use of Crisco.

... my plan to get all the tats I wanted.

... my whole, white teeth.

... The $1.00 gallon of milk.

... filling up my 1970 Monte Carlo with regular gas for less than $10.00.

... buying comic books at the liquor store - without mom or dad's supervision.

... worrying that I might see a knife at school (now i worry my kids will see a gun at school).

... happy times with my immediate family.

... going to college.

... laying on my bed in my room and doing nothing but think and listen to the radio.

... thinking I'd never get skin cancer and soaking up the sun in summer.

and finally ...

... not being old enough to reminisce about what I miss!

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
1.) My father

2.) My Hair

3.) Quiet times at the boathouse, before living on the water became a status symbol

4.) A Northwoods cabin, that is a cabin

K

Kempogeek

shesulsa said:
I miss getting only a few pieces of mail each day instead of the 20 pieces I receive every day.

I miss the 10 cent stamp.

I miss the lack of bombardment by electronic devices.

I miss summers at the lake with people who appreciated nature and respected others, rather than summers at the lake with people who appreciated their beer, cigarettes, cursing in front of children, spilling oil and gas from their masses of jetskis into the lake, and rap music at the camp site.

I miss the Dipsey-Doodle ice cream bus that lumbered down our street once a week.

I miss good music and real musicians.

I miss quiet classrooms and book report assignments.

... being single,

... my life without Clairol, L'oreal Preference or Garnier Nutrisse.

... fitting into my size 5 jeans - without the use of Crisco.

... my plan to get all the tats I wanted.

... my whole, white teeth.

... The $1.00 gallon of milk.

... filling up my 1970 Monte Carlo with regular gas for less than $10.00.

... buying comic books at the liquor store - without mom or dad's supervision.

... worrying that I might see a knife at school (now i worry my kids will see a gun at school).

... happy times with my immediate family.

... going to college.

... laying on my bed in my room and doing nothing but think and listen to the radio.

... thinking I'd never get skin cancer and soaking up the sun in summer.

and finally ...

... not being old enough to reminisce about what I miss!
I can relate with a couple of things here: I miss being in my room and listening to my 45's (remember them?) Everything from the Go Go's to Duran Duran to basically everything in between...........I miss the once quiet neighborhood we used to live where people cared about other's property..............I miss going with my friends (who were fortunate enough to move away from here) to the local drug store for candy and sledding at the nearby hill............I miss playing the air drums to Beatles records, pretending I was Ringo Starr........Most important of all, I miss my granddad (1989), grandmom (1993) and my mom (2004). All the best, Steve

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And I miss my Dad, too. William Nevin, dec. 10-15-1985. :asian:

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Things missed in the 90's............... that would have to be the 80's!! Best decade ever in my book!

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Things I miss from the eighties and nineties?

I miss big hair.

Of course, I miss MY hair, too...but I thought big hair incredibly attractive on women. Once I saw a woman riding on the back of a motorcycle, her big hair catching the wind...sigh...then of course the air caught her just right and ripped her off the cycle. Happily, she wasn't going to fast, and her big hair saved her some serious road rash.

Big hair...where women could only safely go through doors made handicapable, otherwise they'd hit the doorjambs and mess their doo.

I'd say I miss mullets, but I don't...and they're like a chronic fungus.

Shesulsa, I miss my dad, too. 10-01-86.

Regards,

Steve

OP
Bammx2

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This has taken a slightly different turn than what I imagined.

Don't get me wrong....I am loving all of this! Keep it up!
But what I was reffering to was what the government had taken from us.
The right to privacy didn't "die" out...it was taken.

But on to what this has become,I want to add one more thing on a personal note if I may....

Robin Lynn Sexton.
The only woman I ever loved who loved me back was taken from this earth and my heart October 19,1999.
I knew her for 13 years,she passed away 10 months after we got engaged.

and to all who has suffered a loss......................my prayers are with you and yours:asian:

OP
Bammx2

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
.............................80'S BIG HAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH YEA!!!!!!!

God bless David Coverdale and Tawny Kitaen!!!

and a small mention to bobbi brown from the "Cherry Pie" video...
mmmmm-mmmmm!

C

c2kenpo

Interesting thread.

The 90's what do I miss most. (Man I had to think about this for a long time)

I would say RADIO. I used to work at my local & college radio stations and would do the MC's for a number of events in the community, and loved meeting people and being on the air. It was at a time that radio was at its peak. Celebrity personalites talk shows etc etc were all in full bloom,
Howard Stern, Greasman, Bob & Tom, Tom Joyner all of these personalites were at the crest of the radio wave and I was immersed in it.

Was a great time. (Subtract out all the bad chioces I made in life during that time and it might have been amazing.) Wisdom is learned by life lessons.

and also on that personal note the 90's had it's tragic event for me as well.

God Bless Morris N. Gunzburg 6/11/93 *bow*

Latest Discussions