Autistic Child Assaulted, School Administrators Refuse Explanation

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess I really can't get across how behavioral plans with special education kids work. I'm guessing the attacking child has one in place and if this behavior is an expected consequence of his disability, it is highly unlikely any incident report would be filed period.

I'm not saying it's right ... I'm just saying that's the way it works in most school districts I'm aware of.

I have to say, though, that while I'm not surprised, I'm still disappointed the subs didn't separate the children.

I personally hate substitute bus personnel as the transportation issue for behaviorally challenged kids can be a really important part of the day - it is a very physical, mental and emotional transition time and for challenged kids, it is a *huge* thing. I've had sub bus drivers drop my son off with no verification he gets inside - actually left him outside for a half hour alone and unsupervised. How are they supposed to know? Well, the transportation supervisor is supposed to tell them ... but it rarely happens - at least around here.

I hope the kids get the help they need, the transportation department gets a serious wake-up call.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's not just subs. We had a bus driver drop off our kids without verifying that we were home. I was runnign late and the door happened to be unlocked. he went inside and was unsupervised for a god 15 minutes. Thank god nothign happened. But the irate call to the bus company (that went all the way to the president) got nothing but, "I don't see what the problem is"....Grrrrrrr.

Bottom line: Life with special needs kids is complicated in ways that msot folks jsut can't understand. I'm guessing there is not a cover up going on...otherwise CPS never would have been contacted. the fact that they are involved in any way indicates that reports were made. However, due to Hipaa and other new laws, what can and cannot be shared with parents about other children is very complicated and limtied in most cases.

At the end of the day, it is important that all teh children be safe. It is important that changes occur to prevent such an incident for happening again. It is not improtant that justice be served,....htat really dosnt' address ths improtant issues (changing behaviors primarily).

Peace,
Erik

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks Geo and Erik :asian: That makes a little more sense.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess I really can't get across how behavioral plans with special education kids work. I'm guessing the attacking child has one in place and if this behavior is an expected consequence of his disability, it is highly unlikely any incident report would be filed period.

I'm not saying it's right ... I'm just saying that's the way it works in most school districts I'm aware of.

But, IMO, this line of thinking by the school, is almost akin to me walking up to someone in a restaurant, and throwing a plate of food at them, because the guy looked at my wife. While the kids mentally may not have control over their actions, could I, by the same token, tell the police that I 'snapped' for a moment, wasn't thinking clearly, and that was why I did what I did? I'm sure I'd be tossed out of the restaurant and maybe charged by the police for being disorderly.

Even if no discipline was taken by the school, I'd think that some sort of documentation should be filed.

I'm curious to know if the injures were more serious, ie: a broken nose, lost teeth, knocked out, if nothing would be done. Is it just par for the course, that by having this issue, that these things are to be expected and no matter what the outcome, that is the way it is.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
There absolutely should be documentation. That documentation, however, may not be publicly available until all necessary reportingh agencies have fibished their respective investigations.

As to teh other part of your post...while I know it is hard to wrap your brain around the idea of behavior plans and their implementation. You are an adult who is able to behave and exist in the "normal range of functioning." Behavior palns exist to supprot children (not adults usually...though not exclusively) with special needs. Their needs are such that traditional methods of management aren't effetcive (i.e. punishment doesn;t work so well, their ability to generalize through social and traditional teaching m,ethods is ocmpromised due to their disability). Consequently, problem behaviors are identified and a functional behavior assessment (a study on why, when and how the behavior occurs) is done. based on that assessment and intervention is created and becomes the backbone of the plan. When the behavior occurs, the plan should be such that it can deal with that. If an extraordinary incident occurs (this case) or the interventionm proves ineffective...then ht eplan is changed.

this goes on untl the behavior is resolved. This can happen quickly...it can take years. Throwing the plan out the window, though is hardly ever a good idea. Personally, I've had to revise my behavior plans for clients and foster kids 3, four even 5 times...even after I've found something that worked. It is a process of contatn evaluation and revision. Success is measured not in grand steps (liek attaining a new rank), but in baby steps (Johnny accepted being told "no" 3 out of 5 times without engaging in physical aggression which is up from 2 out of 5 times).

Peace,
Erik

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There absolutely should be documentation. That documentation, however, may not be publicly available until all necessary reportingh agencies have fibished their respective investigations.

As to teh other part of your post...while I know it is hard to wrap your brain around the idea of behavior plans and their implementation. You are an adult who is able to behave and exist in the "normal range of functioning." Behavior palns exist to supprot children (not adults usually...though not exclusively) with special needs. Their needs are such that traditional methods of management aren't effetcive (i.e. punishment doesn;t work so well, their ability to generalize through social and traditional teaching m,ethods is ocmpromised due to their disability). Consequently, problem behaviors are identified and a functional behavior assessment (a study on why, when and how the behavior occurs) is done. based on that assessment and intervention is created and becomes the backbone of the plan. When the behavior occurs, the plan should be such that it can deal with that. If an extraordinary incident occurs (this case) or the interventionm proves ineffective...then ht eplan is changed.

this goes on untl the behavior is resolved. This can happen quickly...it can take years. Throwing the plan out the window, though is hardly ever a good idea. Personally, I've had to revise my behavior plans for clients and foster kids 3, four even 5 times...even after I've found something that worked. It is a process of contatn evaluation and revision. Success is measured not in grand steps (liek attaining a new rank), but in baby steps (Johnny accepted being told "no" 3 out of 5 times without engaging in physical aggression which is up from 2 out of 5 times).

Peace,
Erik

Thanks for your reply. :) A few more questions if you dont mind..

What happens if the behavior is never resolved?

What happens when the child, who physically is an adult, ie: 27,30 yrs old,, but has the thinking of a child? If these same people live with their family, I'm assuming the family is responsible. So if this person is out with their family, and in the store, they pick up a can, a bottle, etc and whip it at the back of someones head?

Now, these people are no longer in a school setting, but in the real world. I'm not saying lock them up and toss the key, but is someone responsible for what happens?

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just so you know, I really am only trying to shed light and encourage reasonable understanding - nothing else, okay?

But, IMO, this line of thinking by the school, is almost akin to me walking up to someone in a restaurant, and throwing a plate of food at them, because the guy looked at my wife. While the kids mentally may not have control over their actions, could I, by the same token, tell the police that I 'snapped' for a moment, wasn't thinking clearly, and that was why I did what I did? I'm sure I'd be tossed out of the restaurant and maybe charged by the police for being disorderly.

But Mike, you are not a child with a faulty brain or faulty chemistry that will take you twice as long (if not longer) to find appropriate means of dealing with what are to you and me ordinary stressors. You snapping in a moment of frustration is just not the same as a lifelong disability or delay and it never really can be.

That's not to say, however, that the behavior is "okay" or should not be addressed - believe me, the behavior is addressed in what is determined to be the most effective manner of behavior modification for that child. I think it could be errant to assume the child will get away with this scott-free, though putting a child like this in juvenile hall or a youth authority facility would not only not help the child but could (and almost assuredly would) prove to be disastrous for the child as well as the rest of the population.

Even if no discipline was taken by the school, I'd think that some sort of documentation should be filed.
Usually, a copy of the disciplinary and behavioral plan will be in the student's school file and the incident might be filed there as well as with the transportation department.

I'm curious to know if the injures were more serious, ie: a broken nose, lost teeth, knocked out, if nothing would be done. Is it just par for the course, that by having this issue, that these things are to be expected and no matter what the outcome, that is the way it is.
Something that severe would get the child suspended, most likely - and just because you don't see a public record of discipline doesn't mean nothing is being done.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I tell ya. It's complicated...more so now that money is dryign up for services (child and adult). For those adults who cannot be managed by theuir families (because of behaviors, or because Mom and dad are old and can't mee ttheir adult child's needs...another tragic situation I've dealt with)...they might live in a "community living arrangement" with a person who is paid a small stipend to oversee this individual's financial, medical, etc needs. This is typically for your more capable and independent adults. They may go to a community group home where there is 24/7 staffing and they live with a few other indiviudals. Lots of different programs, lots of variability in the level and quality of services. for more intense cases, they may go to a residential treatment facility similar to where I work...funding for these (at least in my neck of the woods) is drying...but there is still a need.

Some people just end up homeless or in jail. The statistics on the number of incarcerated infividuals who meet the critaeria for some level of mental retardation is astounding and tragic.

It is a far from perfect system. Quite frankly, we treat our pets better than we treat each other sometimes.

Peace,
Erik

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What happens if the behavior is never resolved?

What happens when the child, who physically is an adult, ie: 27,30 yrs old,, but has the thinking of a child? If these same people live with their family, I'm assuming the family is responsible. So if this person is out with their family, and in the store, they pick up a can, a bottle, etc and whip it at the back of someones head?

Now, these people are no longer in a school setting, but in the real world. I'm not saying lock them up and toss the key, but is someone responsible for what happens?

The legal guardian is responsible for ensuring the adult gets treatment and placement. Most adults who can't contain their behavior are indeed either institutionalized and/or medicated beyond belief and placed in a group home suitable for their functionality.

Developmental delays are actually the cases you want to deal with because they're a bit easier to control than a normally developed adult with schizophrenia or severe bipolar disorder.

Know, however, that getting government agencies to assist in placing the more challenging cases before someone is hurt is *extremely* difficult. I think you know I know this.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I tell ya. It's complicated...more so now that money is dryign up for services (child and adult). For those adults who cannot be managed by theuir families (because of behaviors, or because Mom and dad are old and can't mee ttheir adult child's needs...another tragic situation I've dealt with)...they might live in a "community living arrangement" with a person who is paid a small stipend to oversee this individual's financial, medical, etc needs. This is typically for your more capable and independent adults. They may go to a community group home where there is 24/7 staffing and they live with a few other indiviudals. Lots of different programs, lots of variability in the level and quality of services. for more intense cases, they may go to a residential treatment facility similar to where I work...funding for these (at least in my neck of the woods) is drying...but there is still a need.

Some people just end up homeless or in jail. The statistics on the number of incarcerated infividuals who meet the critaeria for some level of mental retardation is astounding and tragic.

It is a far from perfect system. Quite frankly, we treat our pets better than we treat each other sometimes.

Peace,
Erik

I know a lady whose autistic son - who qualifies, btw, as mentally retarded - is currently incarcerated in another state where there are specific units for developmentally delayed offenders, bipolar offenders, PTSD offenders, etcetera ... sounds like a halfway facility (between hospital and jail) to me. The hope is, of course, to further the behavior modification for those who have some inkling of hope for true correction rather than plain incarceration.

In the meantime, my family has participated in a help-the-homeless breakfast and charity event at Christmas time and sometimes Easter. It is quite rare we ever come across someone who is not clearly handicapped in some way - usually mentally.

You're right. We treat our dogs better than our needy in this country.

Reaction score
Wow, what a truly sad and pathetic serious of events. What's really worrying is that here in Australia (or at least Queensland), autistic children and other mentally under-developed students are forced to share schools with ADHD sufferers who are often quite aggressive.

Latest Discussions