What Do You Folks Think of This Sword?

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What Do You Folks Think of This Sword? I'm thinking of purchasing it (unsharpened) to begin a collection. I had some (emphasis on some, i.e., little) training in foil when I was younger, but otherwise, I am a newbie to swords and swordsmanship. I see that this is made of a decent steel for its price of $145.00.

http://www.reliks.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=1287

DIMENSIONSInchesBlade Length26 1/2Overall Length32Blade MaterialHigh Carbon 1065/1095Weight1 lb

Windlass Steelcrafts®

Learn about Windlass Swords and the big difference between a functional (battle ready) and decorative sword.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
What Do You Folks Think of This Sword? I'm thinking of purchasing it (unsharpened) to begin a collection. I had some (emphasis on some, i.e., little) training in foil when I was younger, but otherwise, I am a newbie to swords and swordsmanship. I see that this is made of a decent steel for its price of $145.00.

http://www.reliks.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=1287

DIMENSIONSInchesBlade Length26 1/2Overall Length32Blade MaterialHigh Carbon 1065/1095Weight1 lb

Windlass Steelcrafts®

Learn about Windlass Swords and the big difference between a functional (battle ready) and decorative sword.
I'll quote a Fed-Ex commerical...

ARRRR!

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nice looking sword. I dont know much about how good it would be but it would make a nice display piece if nothing else

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looks like a great starter piece so why not if the price does not scare you away buy it.
Terry

ScottUK

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
I see that this is made of a decent steel for its price of $145.00.
Not sure if high carbon steel is 'decent'. As a wallhanger it's pretty enough though...

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Has the quality of Windlass increased in recent years? I was under the impression they were not very good at all.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Phil Elmore said:
Has the quality of Windlass increased in recent years? I was under the impression they were not very good at all.

About two years ago, I bought Windlass Steels black Shivonna. There were lots of issues I had with it, so I sent it back for replacement. Got the replacement in about 2 weeks time, and it was just as bad as the first. Just got my money back then.

If you have your heart set on a naval cutlass, try out Cold Steels repo of the 1917 US Navy cutlass. Good weapon there, does cost more though.

Jeff