What do you call this punch?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The following punch in CMA is called "Ha Chuan". Not sure what it may be called in boxing, or Karate. It starts with a circular punch but end with a straight punch. I like this punch because it integrates both defense and offense.

- Your opponent throws a left jab above your right arm.
- Your right arm make a counter-clockwise circle and move from below his left arm to on top of his left arm.
- While your right forearm press down on top of his left punching arm, your right punch slide in, and straight punch toward his face or chest.
- Your final punch is an upside down vertical punch with big fist eye (thumb and index finger contact point) pointing downward.

Last edited:

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
similar to "rolling the jab" in Boxing....but not as wide as what you described (which sounds much slower).....just a quick, snapping parry of the jab and then immediate right cross over the jab.

also called, "touch & go", etc.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
The following punch in CMA is called "Ha Chuan". Not sure what it may be called in boxing, or Karate. It starts with a circular punch but end with a straight punch. I like this punch because it integrates both defense and offense.

- Your right arm make a counter-clockwise circle and move from below his left arm to on top of his left arm.
- While your right forearm press down on top of his left punching arm, your right punch slide in, and straight punch toward his face or chest.
- Your final punch is an upside down vertical punch with big fist eye (thumb and index finger contact point) pointing downward.
I'd need to see a demonstration.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd need to see a demonstration.
Think about this way.

- You throw a right hook punch and your opponent left arm blocks it.
- You slide your right arm on top of his left arm (this will press his left arm down), and straight punch toward his chest.

A wrestler will use a hook punch to set up an under hook this way. In this clip, if you replace the under hook by a straight punch, the moving path is the same. If your right arm can under hook your opponent's left shoulder, your right fist can punch on his face or chest.

Last edited:

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Think about this way.

- You throw a right hook punch and your opponent left arm blocks it.
- You slide your right arm on top of his left arm (this will press his left arm down), and straight punch toward his chest.

A wrestler will use a hook punch to set up an under hook this way. In this clip, if you replace the under hook by a straight punch, the moving path is the same. If your right arm can under hook your opponent's left shoulder, your right fist can punch on his face or chest.

the music making me crazy....want to kick someone's *** and throw them off that balcony and be the master of that castle.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

It sounds like you're referring to a cross counter in boxing, although not 100% sure without a better visual...is it something like this?

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It sounds like you're referring to a cross counter in boxing, although not 100% sure without a better visual...is it something like this?
That's exactly the move at 0.36. You can punch

- above your opponent's punching arm by pressing his arm down, or
- below his punching arm by raising his arm up.

It's a 3D spiral punch.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's a cross. The cross is a counter punch to the opponent's jab and sometimes the lead hook.
The countering rear straight 'crosses' the opponent's punching arm.
Today many refer to any similar type of punch thrown with the rear hand as a cross no matter if it is a countering punch or not.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

- above your opponent's punching arm by pressing his arm down, or
- below his punching arm by raising his arm up.

It's a 3D spiral punch.
That's a textbook example of a cross counter. I haven't seen it in other MA's, but that's how I would refer to it if I were discussing the move with someone.

Edit: I separate it from a cross like Danny T said simply because so many people would call a reverse punch a cross, that it would cause confusion.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's a cross. The cross is a counter punch to the opponent's jab and sometimes the lead hook.
The countering rear straight 'crosses' the opponent's punching arm.
Today many refer to any similar type of punch thrown with the rear hand as a cross no matter if it is a countering punch or not.

I want to create a bunch of accounts so I can rate this Like, Agree, Useful, and Informative, because this finally explains to me the difference between a cross and a reverse punch, which I've been trying to find out for about 4 years.

watching

Green Belt
Reaction score

A circle will never beat a straight line

Latest Discussions