What do you believe is the powerful technique in unarmed, martial arts combat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
It can land if he steps back too. You don't know the exact distance between you and his leg.

The thread was about power/kinetic energy transfer. I didn't ask : "" what is the most effective"
Which proves your Uchi Mata sucks. How much Judo experience do you have?
Tsk tsk! Don’t get in trouble with the moderators for being unfriendly.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my example, Uchi Mata, there is enough power/kinetic energy transfer to lift the other guy off his feet, rotate him over his head and then land him on the ground. You have the power of your entire body using its strength plus the power of his body under the effects of gravity and the additional acceleration that your strength applies to him. Uchi Mata (or any throw really) is using the energy from both people, where a kick is only using the energy of one person. If I weigh 200 lbs and throw a kick... at most, I have 200 lbs being accelerated, providing momentum and inertia. If I throw a 200 lbs opponent... then there are 400 lbs being accelerated, providing momentum and inertia. I am not great at physics... but last time I checked accelerating 400 lbs into motion took a lot more power/kinetic energy than 200 lbs.
My Sifu would often say that a good throw onto a hard surface was worth any two strikes. That’s from a striking art teacher.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I had a guy run into me who'm I Uchi Mata'd twice. It didn't do a damn thing.
Are you implying that every time you land your spinning kick, you knock the other guy out? Watching a bit of MMA and Kickboxing... those kicks don't always end the fight or even drop the other guy.
The thread was about power/kinetic energy transfer. I didn't ask : "" what is the most effective"
You were asking about power/kinetic energy transfer, not about what technique was the most effective. Not every spinning kick, lifts the other guy off the ground far enough to turn him over in the air.... throws will do that, every time they are successfully done.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
So it stands to reason that if an extremely powerful throw didn't work, its the fault of the thrower, not the throw.
I completely agree with you. It’s never the style, it’s always the man. Every style has its merits when performed by a competent practitioner.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hell yes.
Well, not even this guy could achieve that:

Start at 49 seconds into the video to see the first attack thrown in the fight. Spoiler... Cung Le gets KOed in the 3rd round of this fight... and Scott was kicked a lot.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
You have got to be kidding.

There's a reason I won't throw it in sparring.
Well, not even this guy could achieve that:

Start at 49 seconds into the video to see the first attack thrown in the fight. Spoiler... Cung Le gets KOed in the 3rd round of this fight... and Scott was kicked a lot.

He didn't really "spin", meaning there's no torque to it, he's much smaller than me,. etc.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Guard. It turns the most vulnerable position (on your back) into a position of strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions