What do you believe is the powerful technique in unarmed, martial arts combat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmf552

Green Belt
Reaction score
The thread title
I meant raw power.
"Power" is actually a vague term in the martial arts context. What your post describes is "energy." "Energy" is a physics term and is measurable. "Power" (except for electrical power) is a description. It is the ability to achieve a desired outcome. "You have the power to do X." So context matters. What do you want to accomplish with the strike?

I would say that a knife hand strike to one of four different points on the neck has the most "power." It is the power to kill. A turning kick is not likely to kill.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How about Uchi Mata? It involves the whole body and literally lifts the other guy (even if he is bigger than you) completely off the ground.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
How about Uchi Mata? It involves the whole body and literally lifts the other guy (even if he is bigger than you) completely off the ground.

I've done it in a street fight, on concrete, twice. Fat dude got up both times.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
True, if someone will stand there and let you land it.
It can land if he steps back too. You don't know the exact distance between you and his leg.

The thread was about power/kinetic energy transfer. I didn't ask : "" what is the most effective"

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mistakes happen in fights.
I am not trying to give a hard time here. I mean you no disrespect, All of us are here to share insights and learn from each other’s experiences. That being said, we must also be honest with ourselves and each other when discussing martial arts as myth and illusion can get people hurt.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
He dropped his guard thinking it was a spinning back kick.
He dropped guard and stood flat footed in the kill box. Either block or move or both. He did nothing. Resume notwithstanding, that was not my definition of skillful. He was not beaten by the kick, rather, he was beaten by his own mistake. A painful mistake.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
He dropped guard and stood flat footed in the kill box. Either block or move or both. He did nothing. Resume notwithstanding, that was not my definition of skillful. He was not beaten by the kick, rather, he was beaten by his own mistake. A painful mistake.

He didn't move because he thought he had it covered. For the record, I have never been hit by a spinning heel kick. I read spin kicks better than Kickboxers, since its more prevalent in TKD.

Life isn't TDK competions however and people don't expect spin kicks to the head.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The thread was about power/kinetic energy transfer. I didn't ask : "" what is the most effective"
In my example, Uchi Mata, there is enough power/kinetic energy transfer to lift the other guy off his feet, rotate him over his head and then land him on the ground. You have the power of your entire body using its strength plus the power of his body under the effects of gravity and the additional acceleration that your strength applies to him. Uchi Mata (or any throw really) is using the energy from both people, where a kick is only using the energy of one person. If I weigh 200 lbs and throw a kick... at most, I have 200 lbs being accelerated, providing momentum and inertia. If I throw a 200 lbs opponent... then there are 400 lbs being accelerated, providing momentum and inertia. I am not great at physics... but last time I checked accelerating 400 lbs into motion took a lot more power/kinetic energy than 200 lbs.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
In my example, Uchi Mata, there is enough power/kinetic energy transfer to lift the other guy off his feet, rotate him over his head and then land him on the ground. You have the power of your entire body using its strength plus the power of his body under the effects of gravity and the additional acceleration that your strength applies to him. Uchi Mata (or any throw really) is using the energy from both people, where a kick is only using the energy of one person. If I weigh 200 lbs and throw a kick... at most, I have 200 lbs being accelerated, providing momentum and inertia. If I throw a 200 lbs opponent... then there are 400 lbs being accelerated, providing momentum and inertia. I am not great at physics... but last time I checked accelerating 400 lbs into motion took a lot more power/kinetic energy than 200 lbs.

I had a guy run into me who'm I Uchi Mata'd twice. It didn't do a damn thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions