If you have studied more than one art.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you have studied more than one art which is your favorite?

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is pretty tough, but I am still partial to any all-out stickfighting ie DBMA.

I will have to agree with Mr. Green and Brother John that mixing it up is where its at.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes...

Kenpo

...but I do agree with Andrew, that's the BEST.

Your Brother
John

Ditto on that!!:ultracool

Its amazing how well some things seem to blend together!

Mike

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kenpo Ju Jitsu is my favorite. Although it's a thesis project at this point :)

I can't chose between Kenpo and Ju Jitsu.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Have you studied more than one art??

YES!

Favorite??

Putting them together!!! I too agree with Mr Green and Brother John.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes
putting them both together I too agree with the majority here
Terry

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
basically shotokan style karate and Okinawa Shorin Ryu and Ju Jitsu. I prefer the okinawan style and ju jitsu so I have blended the 2 together for Seijitsu Shin Do.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes I've studied several. If I had to rank them:

Chinese Kenpo
Yasashii Do Martial Arts
T'ai Chi
Jujitsu
TKD

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I have. TSD, TKD (WTF and ITF), Judo, Jujitsu.

My fav is jujitsu. The style I study is for self defence only (off-shoot of small circle jujitsu). Very to-the-point and effective.

My fav stand up art has to be TSD (which was mixed with Jujitsu also). I mainly loved the dojang and the instructors. I miss them dearly. And the art side of TSD, to me, was great.

Garth Barnard

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Over the last 25 years I've studied the following:

Judo (4 years)
Boxing (4 years)
Aikido
Kickboxing (K1 rules) (4 years)
Muay Thai (2 years)
Taekwondo (ITF) (12 years)
Combatives (though not a Martial Art)

I basically took the best from TKD, MT and Judo and wrote my own syllabus. What I didn't realise is that the syllabus I ended up with, and taught sucessfully for 3 years, was identical to that of KyukTooKi (Korean Kickboxing), so I renamed my system "KyukTooKi". In addition to the KyukTooKi I teach Combatives.

Take care,

Garth.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've had different periods of my life where arts were my "favorite" for awhile before taking a back seat to another one. This depended on a number of factors...age, ability, and focus of passion.

Had I a second life, and unlimited time and energy (and an increased capacity to learn...did I mention this was a fantasy?), I'd take on a number of new arts and study them in-depth, as follows:

Muay Thai.
JKD/Kali
Pencak Silat Mande Muda
BJJ
Combat Submission Wrestling
Parker's Kenpo.
Five Animals Shaolin.
Spanish fencing.
Iaido.
Kenjutsu.

Some of these I'd study to round out my fighting skills, others I'd learn for the beauty of the art, still others as a sport...some for all three.

Now, with encroaching age, I might toy with some of these without the hopes of undertaking them in-depth. Circumstances and infirmity won't allow that, and I have to acknowledge the limitations time has placed on me. I'll push others to do study them and other arts, however, and gain a little vicarious satisfaction.

Regards,

Steve

Haze

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Okinawan karate (goju and shorin)

Tiger jujutsu (no nonsense defense, real simple techniques that seem to work)

I like the kata of karate, like meditation while in motion,,,,,,,,,but,,,,,,,,,,
there is nothing like having your opponent tapout due to a armbar or choke.
Nor is there anything like trying to escape from a technique before you are forced to tapout or pass out.

(the only time I can say I was totaly in fear for my life in a real world situation was when a guy had me in a choke hold and i did not know what to do.)

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Over the last 25 years I've studied the following:

Judo (4 years)
Boxing (4 years)
Aikido
Kickboxing (K1 rules) (4 years)
Muay Thai (2 years)
Taekwondo (ITF) (12 years)
Combatives (though not a Martial Art)

I basically took the best from TKD, MT and Judo and wrote my own syllabus. What I didn't realise is that the syllabus I ended up with, and taught sucessfully for 3 years, was identical to that of KyukTooKi (Korean Kickboxing), so I renamed my system "KyukTooKi". In addition to the KyukTooKi I teach Combatives.

Take care,

Garth.

An impressive resume my friend...

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I studied Shorin Ryu for three years, Kyokishin Kai for two, Muay Thai for two, Kali for about six months, TKD for two, Kenpo Jitsu for about eight now, and just starting in Bujinkan Budo Taijitsu.

Right now, it's a toss-up between the Kenpo Jitsu and the BBT.

But I am constantly pulling stuff from all that I've studied.

Jeff

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, though I've studied more than one MA I honestly feel that I've done little more than scratch the surface of most looking for skill sets to augment my Bando training and basically expose myself more to the traditional philosophies and beliefs of the systems, so clearly Bando is my art.

Bando - 26 years (though there have been periods of "hiatus") during which I may have spent one year focusing primarily on forms, or weapons or Lethwei, Cobra, etc.
TKD - 2 years of real training and a little bit of "surfing" the techniques searching for things I hadn't learned already
Jiu Jitsu - 3 years of seminar style instruction and specific technique instruction - no systemiatic instruction in a complete style
Sambo - a few lessons seminar style - liked it a lot, just hard to find instruction
Tai Chi - strictly for the mental aspects
JKD - One glorious seminar with Dan Inosanto and a few sessions with one of his students. ;)

Latest Discussions