Fractured fingers

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I knwo there is a thread on injuries but I just have a specific on.
I fractured my index and ring finger on my left hand..knuckles specifically (TG im right handed) in October. I went to a hand specalist who did nothing but tape them and told me time will heal them.

It is now February and i can make a fistbut my knuckle is still swollen on both fingers.
Who has gone thu this and how long did it take for your hand to be back to the way u were use to it being before the accident. I did it by sparring with my master and blocking a roundhouse kick.

I am scared my hand will forever be like this and feel this pain which isnt great but I still do feel.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's probably not just the bones that were damaged, but you could also have done some damage to your ligaments and / or tendons. Ligaments / tendons can and do heal, but because they don't get much blood flow, it's not unusual for a ligament to take at least several months to heal to the point where you can use it "normally," and even up to a couple of years before the stiffness and soreness go away completely.

Just ask anyone who has had "turf toe," or a hip flexor strain, and they'll tell you a painful story of long recovery.

For what it's worth, it's actually somewhat reassuring to know that your break wasn't so bad, that they would have had to insert screws into your bones.

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
I busted the knuckle on my middle left finger while grappling...the pain was unbelievable!!!

Took maybe a year before it was (somewhat) back to normal....its still fatter than my other knuckles and every now and then will ach a little.

My experience mirrors yours, just got taped! so unfortunately I have no words of wisdom for you. Hope you heal soon!!

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I broke the last 3 fingers on my left hand cuz I was stupid and opened my fist when blocking a leg during sparring.. gawd it hurt.. I didn't have it dealt with medically.. because no insurance at the time.. so I splinted and taped and endured heinous pain for a good long time.. took me 9 months before I could make a fist again and they still ache and are crooked..
Good luck..

~Tess

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
I knwo there is a thread on injuries but I just have a specific on.
I fractured my index and ring finger on my left hand..knuckles specifically (TG im right handed) in October. I went to a hand specalist who did nothing but tape them and told me time will heal them.

It is now February and i can make a fistbut my knuckle is still swollen on both fingers.
Who has gone thu this and how long did it take for your hand to be back to the way u were use to it being before the accident. I did it by sparring with my master and blocking a roundhouse kick.

I am scared my hand will forever be like this and feel this pain which isnt great but I still do feel.
I've had exactly the same thing happen during an after-class mess around [you know the usual horseplay thing]. I picked up a nice compression fracture where the bones break against each other - index and middle knuckles were affected - and like yourself after the x-ray, got taped up and sent home with painkillers and nothing else - though I think to be fair, if the bones are lined up well enough to heal without intervention, there's little else medical practitioners will do?

Give yourself time for recovery - it took around 5-6 months for me to be able to hold and lift weights and stuff as I recall. I never quite got the original alignment back but I can play the piano as ever and make a solid fist so that's me sorted! I hear you though regarding the pain - bear with it though, since October, you should be on your way to recovery...

Good luck!

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been lucky and have never broken a bone ::knocks on wood::...The worst I have done is strain my neck muscles to where I had to go to the Chiropractor....Sensei works there too...so I got the hook up.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I broke my middle knuckle last July (breaking boards). Like everyone else, I got it x-rayed, and sent home with tape around both my middle and ring finger. What a waste of money that was. Anyways, it took my hand about 4 months to heal. I didn't do sparring or knuckle push-ups for about 6 weeks. My knuckle is still kinda big, and if I hit something just right, it still hurts.

I also broke my middle finger (same one) when I first started MA (blocked a kick with my hand open a little). I didn't have insurance at the time, so I had my EMT friend check it out. She iced it, and did the same has above. That took about 6 weeks to two months to heal.

That middle finger looks a little weird now LOL.

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh God im gonna be deformed for the rest of my life!!! lol
Thanks everyone I feel better. I wish I would have saved my co-pay money at the specalist I was going too cause all I got was x-rays and tape and I went back 3 more times for just more damn tape.

I guess it will just take a long time. My 2 knuckles are big and it freaks me out. Never again will i block a kick with a open hand. And yes I tore 2 ligaments. I light spar now but for heavy sparring I will purchase this centruy sparring gear to cover my forearm and left hand
( http://www.centuryfitness.com/webap...501&categoryId=13628&parent_category_rn=13519 )JUST IN CASE!!!

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
i guy at my TKD school had a simler injery took him a good 8 months befor his knuckle look and felt normal again

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
Oh God im gonna be deformed for the rest of my life!!! lol
Thanks everyone I feel better. I wish I would have saved my co-pay money at the specalist I was going too cause all I got was x-rays and tape and I went back 3 more times for just more damn tape.

I guess it will just take a long time. My 2 knuckles are big and it freaks me out. Never again will i block a kick with a open hand. And yes I tore 2 ligaments. I light spar now but for heavy sparring I will purchase this centruy sparring gear to cover my forearm and left hand
( http://www.centuryfitness.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10051&storeId=10051&productId=84222&langId=-1&product_parentId=13628&crumb=13501&categoryId=13628&parent_category_rn=13519 )JUST IN CASE!!!

I agree that you should have just saved your money. I went the one time, and I knew that's all they would do, so I didn't go back. But my knuckle is getting smaller. It's just taking a long time. So will yours. Patience, grasshopper LOL

Latest Discussions