What did you do last class?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How about it? a little summary of what everyone did last class, feel free to come back after you've done another. Might be interesting to see how things differ between groups...

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
How about it? a little summary of what everyone did last class, feel free to come back after you've done another. Might be interesting to see how things differ between groups...

Great concept :)

I'm a beginner in Bujinkan. Spent about an hour rolling and breakfalling all over the place :) Worked on a few beginning katas. The class was pretty much only beginners, the advanced students did not show up (small class!), so we stuck with basics!

MrH

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We spent a few hours on Keri Kudaki starting with 1 assailant who has already grabbed you. Then we added a second assailant who would approach from any angle.

The afternoon was spent on unarmed defense against a knife attack. Students were allowed to choose the angle of attack and we played around a bit. We started with defense against a stab to the gut, then worked on slashes to the upper body (neck, head) and a stab to the head.

We also did a bit of the classic held from behind with a knife at your neck and talked a bit about better ways to hold somebody for a few moments with your knife.

This was a Saturday all-day class with my training group's instructor.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
rutherford said:
This was a Saturday all-day class with my training group's instructor.

That would most definately be cool!

Along somewhat the same lines, I've asked my instructor to offer the occasional Saturday afternoon seminar, (like a 3 or 4 hour long class based on something besides the routine stuff or a different art altogether) but he isn't biting.

My last class differed from the norm in that I had to take a required promotion test. (Towards my 3rd Dan) so the class was about 2 hours long. Indurance testing, Misc. TaeGuek and Palgwe Poomses, sparring, 1 steps (holds and takedowns) and a demo break. Tonight I'll be back to the regular class.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had my first true Wing Chun lesson on Saturday. (It wasn't fully new to me because of previous training in JKD and small tastes of Jun Fan Gung Fu.) We started off with a section of Sil Lum Tao, much of which has failed to stick with me, then did a lot of pak sao/lop sau drills from the arms crossed position, then did dan sao (sp?), the one-armed preliminary version of chi sao.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well the class worked in the old Semi Sparring template of Modern Arnis, and we worked on different break ins and how to handle them.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Last class we attended:

Combining footwork and distance with upper body tools.
Lots of sparring.

Last class we taught:

Slips.
Going from throw to throw while keeping control.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Gemini said:
That would most definately be cool!

Along somewhat the same lines, I've asked my instructor to offer the occasional Saturday afternoon seminar, (like a 3 or 4 hour long class based on something besides the routine stuff or a different art altogether) but he isn't biting.
Our training group meets at least 3 times a week for at least 2 hours. Individual people will get together more frequently to work on topics of interest to them, or see each other socially and somebody will bring up a training topic . . .

Then every month we head out of state to see our instructor, and class is always a full day or two if he can spare the time and there's enough interest. I was particularly broken after the class I described above because the folks from my training group were Uke for every demonstration that day. I guess he wanted to make sure we weren't getting soft living in the mountains.

I'd love to be able to say that I make it every month, but I don't. Of course, I'd also love to say that I've gone with him on one of his trips to Japan, but again I haven't.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kenpo: Worked forms and some SD

Arnis: Worked empty hand material off punches, touched on some stick work.

Mike

Aqua4ever

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just got home from class.
Green-black adults One hour
Warm-up (jumping jacks, skis, 50 push-ups, running, dynamic stretches)
Patterns (forms/katas) night - went through all forms, lowest to highest, as a group, then on your own, then as a group again. Interspersped with fun things such as sit-ups, push-ups, squat thrusts, hindu squats etc.
I learned the next pattern for my belt (having just recently tested)
Aqua

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well tonight class was held at a restuarant, because it was our end of the year banquet. We had a blast and the students enjoyed themself, it was at a place called Italy's as you guess it was Italian food.
When we get the picture developed I'll post them.
Terry

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Fun topic :)

Last Jujitsu class we did lots of breakfalls, rolls, ect. We did a cool drill in which someone would throw or push us down, then we do a breakfall or roll and try to get back on our feet as quick as possible. We did a few ground defenses also.

I did TKD tonight. We did lots of kicking and footwork drills (sparring night).

Between saturdays Jujitsu class and tonights TKD class, I am going to be sore all over after taking a week off (dojang closed for holiday).

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Started with 15 minutes of warms up:
Jumping Jacks 6 minutes
shadow boxing 2) 3 minute rounds
100 round house kicks
100 Knees against a resisting partner
2 minute break

30 minutes of two man drills punching, blocking, and kicking. These are done switching to another partner every 3 minutes with a 15 second break
15 minutes of throws or takedowns and break falls
15 minutes of two man ground work drills
3) 5 minute rounds free grappling attempting to incorporated the previous drill segments.
Speed punching drills (punch as fast and as hard as you can on heavy bag)
20 seconds, 15 seconds, 10 seconds, 5 seconds, then 20 seconds again
10 second break between each.
ending with 5x5 kicks on each leg
start with 5 round house kicks rt leg
then 5 on the left
then repeat with 4, then 3, then 2, then 1. That is one set. We do 5 sets switching with the partner between sets.
Great work out.

Danny

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Might as well play my own game....

From guard (bottom) setting up attacks with a overhook

We did triangles, armbars, keylocks, flowersweeps, chicken wings, arm triangles, and probably one or two others.

As well as how to get, keep and escape that overhook and how to work off the escape attempts to get the locks/sweeps.

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
In BJJ today we worked two basic sweeps finishing both with a submission. Did a guard passing drill and rolled. In karate we took an interesting dip into kung fu with some sticky hands/sensitivity drills, and of course worked on our kata.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmmm, Kali/JKD tonight...we started as usual with a few sinawalis (boring), then moved to some single stick defenses against the high forehand strike that went from block to takedowns (fun), then some JKD punching and kicking drills with the gloves on (the you-me-you, me you-me panatukan/panajakman style drills). Class is only 45 minutes long but it is worth the time to go!

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
we had a returning student so ran through break falls and first syllabus katate tori in the first hour and then moved on to shomen and yokomen first syllabus

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I had my first true Wing Chun lesson on Saturday. (It wasn't fully new to me because of previous training in JKD and small tastes of Jun Fan Gung Fu.) We started off with a section of Sil Lum Tao, much of which has failed to stick with me, then did a lot of pak sao/lop sau drills from the arms crossed position, then did dan sao (sp?), the one-armed preliminary version of chi sao.

You are already learning Lop Sau?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well the 1st half hour I worked with a student on his kicking combinations, balance, and coordination. My class was spent working on form 6, two man set, staff set, and brown belt techniques. Then I had a meeting with the head instructor of the school on the material for the class I'm teaching next week for a couple of hours. That's about it.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
bcbernam777 said:
You are already learning Lop Sau?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I've never had a Wing Chun class and after 5 minutes or so to warm up the muscle memory I wouldn't look funny in a Lop Sau drill. JKD is good for that.

Arni could probably incorporate some Sinawali to the drill, even if he thinks it's boring.

Latest Discussions