Tai Chi classes

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just want to share this with you all.

Last night was my first tai chi class. Now, I have watched people do it in the park, it can't be that hard right? How stupid that line of thinking was!

It was 1 1/2 hours long, and all we learned were the first six movements. Talk about attention to detail. The thing is, it's the not tensing up to strike that's the hard part. Did I mention my legs hurt? Yeah, they hurt.

The little things like shifting your weight and trying to do it slow and relaxed. I do enjoy it, my instructor says it will help with my Kaju forms. I guess there's like 80 something moves and when done right should take like 30 minutes or more. Yeah, we learned six last night, have a feeling this is gonna be a long haul.

Oh, and did I mention that my legs hurt? Although just in the first six moves, I am starting to see some really good SD tecniques. Obviously done a little faster and more power, but the techs are there. I really like the names of this stuff too! Very colorful.

Anyway, just thought i'd tell my story. And my legs hurt.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Remember that taiji first & foremost is a serious MA. It's meant to break people. The training and energy theories are what make it what it is and take so long to get right.

OP
just2kicku

just2kicku

Black Belt
Reaction score
Remember that taiji first & foremost is a serious MA. It's meant to break people. The training and energy theories are what make it what it is and take so long to get right.

I totally agree, it is not for the impatient. My instructor did it fast to the second close, what a beautiful thing. Like I said before, the combat applications are quite impressive. I am looking forward to this very much.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I totally agree, it is not for the impatient. My instructor did it fast to the second close, what a beautiful thing. Like I said before, the combat applications are quite impressive. I am looking forward to this very much.

hehe... no.. decidedly it's not.

But given your experience, you'll see more right away than the average bear does & be able to work on developing the body mechanics.

Enjoy!!!!!!

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The internal arts are much harder in my opinion because of so many technical things.

You become more aware of things. You feel your structure more,your balance,weight of your footwork,relaxing,sinking,rooting, and we are not even talking about application yet.

I find myself focusing more on simplicity and basis then actual forms.

I find myself walking circle more than practicing anything because all the forms and application are in the circle walk for Bagua.

Just like all the forms and movement are in the stillness in Santi in Xingyi

And in my opinion everything is in pushhands and silk reeling for Taiji

I am sure my opinion will change.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Just want to share this with you all.

Last night was my first tai chi class. Now, I have watched people do it in the park, it can't be that hard right? How stupid that line of thinking was!

It was 1 1/2 hours long, and all we learned were the first six movements. Talk about attention to detail. The thing is, it's the not tensing up to strike that's the hard part. Did I mention my legs hurt? Yeah, they hurt.

The little things like shifting your weight and trying to do it slow and relaxed. I do enjoy it, my instructor says it will help with my Kaju forms. I guess there's like 80 something moves and when done right should take like 30 minutes or more. Yeah, we learned six last night, have a feeling this is gonna be a long haul.

Oh, and did I mention that my legs hurt? Although just in the first six moves, I am starting to see some really good SD tecniques. Obviously done a little faster and more power, but the techs are there. I really like the names of this stuff too! Very colorful.

Anyway, just thought i'd tell my story. And my legs hurt.

Ain't it great :EG: You think your legs hurt now....wait till you start push hands :EG:

My Sifu was famous for stopping the entire class in the middle of a posture and then slowly walking around checking everybody and correcting where needed. It did not matter if you were standing in ward off or rooster stands on one leg you stopped and held it.

You are right you need to be able to be patient if you are doing taiji for MA and although your previous MA will help it can sometimes get in the way, particularly in the area of applications.

If I may say what style are you learning?

OP
just2kicku

just2kicku

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ain't it great :EG: You think your legs hurt now....wait till you start push hands :EG:

My Sifu was famous for stopping the entire class in the middle of a posture and then slowly walking around checking everybody and correcting where needed. It did not matter if you were standing in ward off or rooster stands on one leg you stopped and held it.

You are right you need to be able to be patient if you are doing taiji for MA and although your previous MA will help it can sometimes get in the way, particularly in the area of applications.

If I may say what style are you learning?

You know, I don't know. I'll have to ask. I never even thought about asking what style it was. I guess I was too excited to start.

Yeah, he stopped us a few times in the stances and checked. He makes it look easy, but easy it isn't. Good times.