What defines a sport? Is fishing a sport? How about video game tournaments?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is where we get into the "exertion" question. My understanding is that racecar driving is pretty physically demanding. So, back into that morass of vagueness.

A Top Fuel driver can hit 8G acceleration off the line. I think that counts as physically demanding....

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'd say by your definition pro golf is a sport, but not most amateur golf, since most folks walk only the last few yards to their ball (indeed, many clubs don't allow players to NOT ride a cart). Sorry, just a personal rant. I much prefered golf when I could walk.
I remember as a kid i went caddying to make money at GlenEagles in scotland. I Actually met Sir sean connery there he was playing in a Pro celebrity golf match. Yeah walking around an 18 hole golf course with a bag for 3 or 4 hours was good exercise. The Americans & japanese gave good tips. One american group were giving me beer & cigerettes on the way round & paid well. was funny.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd say by your definition pro golf is a sport, but not most amateur golf, since most folks walk only the last few yards to their ball (indeed, many clubs don't allow players to NOT ride a cart). Sorry, just a personal rant. I much prefered golf when I could walk.
Interesting. I do not golf very often so I am not aware of a course that does not allow you to walk. I suppose this is an effective method of getting more people on/off that course each day.

OP
C

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is where we get into the "exertion" question. My understanding is that racecar driving is pretty physically demanding. So, back into that morass of vagueness.

Yea i am sure that auto racing requires stamina and quick reactions. But walking or hiking requires stamina and I dont think they are a sport in most circumstances.

One other example that came to mind is weight lifting a sport? I would say yes if your in a competition but just lifting weights in my basement no

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I do not golf very often so I am not aware of a course that does not allow you to walk. I suppose this is an effective method of getting more people on/off that course each day.
There's an impression that folks play faster when they travel faster to the ball. A couple of studies found that not to be true, with a couple of factors likely being responsible (both partners wait at each person's ball when in a cart, and you get a better look at the course when walking so you make decisions on the way there).

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
maybe but there are timed events too in & out the military. Rucking or as we called it tabbing cross country with weight on your back. trust me you do sweat. so a bit of a grey area.

Or yomping as the Bootnecks call it being RAF I just used the transport provided

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Or yomping as the Bootnecks call it being RAF I just used the transport provided
yeah but the Rock apes or RAF Regiment have the 5 miler of Death ...;)

But seriously i met a few RAF Regiment guys in Germany. they were OK Guys.
I met some to at this place below where we were training there. A lot of small arms ranges. I went into their bar with a mate. had a good drink with a Sgt i think he was. This place was actually an old German SS training area. still old SS stuff there. statues..etc.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah but the Rock apes or RAF Regiment have the 5 miler of Death ...;)

But seriously i met a few RAF Regiment guys in Germany. they were OK Guys.
I met some to at this place below where we were training there. A lot of small arms ranges. I went into their bar with a mate. had a good drink with a Sgt i think he was. This place was actually an old German SS training area. still old SS stuff there. statues..etc.

My other half was a Rock. We were at Laarbruch, he'd go on exercise in Sennelager of course as well as winter training in Baveria. Before posting to Germany he was on QCS and did the Berlin Tattoo, the squadron stayed in an old wartime block, the story was that the German troops had been driven into the cellars by the Russians and walled in. It was supposed to be haunted, my OH said it was certainly very creepy and he'd done public duties at the Tower of London which is reputedly haunted.

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My other half was a Rock. We were at Laarbruch, he'd go on exercise in Sennelager of course as well as winter training in Baveria. Before posting to Germany he was on QCS and did the Berlin Tattoo, the squadron stayed in an old wartime block, the story was that the German troops had been driven into the cellars by the Russians and walled in. It was supposed to be haunted, my OH said it was certainly very creepy and he'd done public duties at the Tower of London which is reputedly haunted.
Sennelager i know very well a big training area. was a few times there. I was in Bergen Hohne 4 years we had Belsen concentration camp right next to us was creepy. The Rail sidings were still there where they brought the jews in. We used them too for our tracked vehicles when going too far away to drive.
I was also 5 years in Herford.
public duties i did at Edinburgh castle in 1988. then we recruited (a cape tour) around Edinburgh area. was good, Hot doing drill in mid summer in No 1 dress.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my humble opinion, fishing and video gaming have absolutely nothing to do with sports. Like, c'mon! I know that fishing is classed as a sport, but it's all about the skill, not the physical activity itself.
That is true of every sport. Skill is pretty much always the single most important factor.
For me, if there isn't any physical activity involved in the process, then that's definitely not a sport. I believe that if the two were to be "real sports", they would have been included in the list of sports for the Olympic Games, but they aren't.
So according to you, baseball is not a sport.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my humble opinion, fishing and video gaming have absolutely nothing to do with sports. Like, c'mon! I know that fishing is classed as a sport, but it's all about the skill, not the physical activity itself. For me, if there isn't any physical activity involved in the process, then that's definitely not a sport. I believe that if the two were to be "real sports", they would have been included in the list of sports for the Olympic Games, but they aren't. Don't get me wrong! I love both fishing and video gaming! I even think I'm getting addicted to playing World of Warcraft cause I got myself some wow dungeons. Yeah, that's only my opinion! Don't judge!
We'd have to talk about where to draw the line on "physical activity", wouldn't we? I mean, with fishing there's definitely some physical activity. Sometimes, there's no physical exertion. If it's big fish, there's real physical exertion, use of strength, etc. So is marlin fishing sport, but not crappie fishing?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think, when you boil it down to the bare essentials, sports are activities that meet the following:
  1. Played competitively
  2. Organized into some kind of league
  3. Requires some kind of physical skill
So, chess is a game because there is no form of physical skill, and in fact, you can play entirely electronically of, if you're smart enough, without even a board.

Auto racing, golf, tennis, curling, bowling, etc are all sports.

eSports are also sport:

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I define "sport" as a game, where physical attributes - such as speed, strength, accuracy, or timing of movement - affect the outcome.

Chess, for example, wouldn't be a sport because physical attributes play no role in the game. You're not more likely to win by moving your pieces faster.

Bowling, however, is a sport because physical attributes affect the outcome.

I do realize that, by my definition, Hungry Hungry Hippos and Crossfire are technically sports; but I really don't see a better place to draw the line.

Last edited:

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah it's a tough one... then we'd have to define "physical attribute". Is the ability to coordinate your fingers correctly to grab the aimed at chest piece and subsequently move it into a different location in space, considered a physical attribute? Where is the liiiiiiine?!?!?!? Or is that just considered generic physical movement unrelated to an improvable attribute?

My head hurts!

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Is the ability to coordinate your fingers correctly to grab the aimed at chest piece and subsequently move it into a different location in space, considered a physical attribute?
No, because what matters is that the piece gets moved to another square. Not the speed in which it is moved, etc.

Someone with no hands could have another person move the pieces for them, and 100% the victory or loss would belong to that player with no hands. That player was making all of the decisions.

But you can't pass a tennis racket onto someone else and own the victory.

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
BTW, as far as where I draw the line, I'd rather err on the side of including things as sports that people may not generally see as sports, than the other way around. If I moved the line to exclude Hungry Hungry Hippos, then things like horseshoes, darts, billiards, etc, would end up being excluded too.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I define "sport" as a game, where physical attributes - such as speed, strength, accuracy, or timing of movement - affect the outcome.

Chess, for example, wouldn't be a sport because physical attributes play no role in the game. You're not more likely to win by moving your pieces faster.

Bowling, however, is a sport because physical attributes affect the outcome.

I do realize that, by my definition, Hungry Hungry Hippos and Crossfire are technically sports; but I really don't see a better place to draw the line.
I think if hungry hungry hippos is ever organized into leagues, it would be a sport. Until then, even though there is a physical element, it's a game.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Yeah it's a tough one... then we'd have to define "physical attribute". Is the ability to coordinate your fingers correctly to grab the aimed at chest piece and subsequently move it into a different location in space, considered a physical attribute? Where is the liiiiiiine?!?!?!? Or is that just considered generic physical movement unrelated to an improvable attribute?

My head hurts!
I'm not sure what you're describing... do you mean chess piece? That doesn't count because you could just as easily play the game online or even by text without a board at all.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
BTW, as far as where I draw the line, I'd rather err on the side of including things as sports that people may not generally see as sports, than the other way around. If I moved the line to exclude Hungry Hungry Hippos, then things like horseshoes, darts, billiards, etc, would end up being excluded too.
Horseshoes, darts, billiards are all sports because they are often played in leagues or organized competitions. Regarding Hungry Hungry Hippos, it seems like you really... really like that game for some reason. But dude. It's not a sport.

And in related news, while chess is not a sport, chess boxing certainly is:

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Horseshoes, darts, billiards are all sports because they are often played in leagues or organized competitions. Regarding Hungry Hungry Hippos, it seems like you really... really like that game for some reason. But dude. It's not a sport.
I actually don't like Hungry Hungry Hippos. In fact, I lost interest in the game by the time I was in 2nd grade.

I'm just bringing it up because the way I define "sport" would include it. Success in Hungry Hungry Hippos requires two physical attributes: speed and timing.

Do you have a definition of "sport" that excludes Hungry Hungry Hippos, but includes billiards and darts? Because I'll be happy to adopt it if you do.

Latest Discussions