What defines a sport? Is fishing a sport? How about video game tournaments?

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In your opinion what defines a sport? Is fishing a sport? How about video game tournaments?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen sport defined as "physical competition", just "competition", "fun" (more common in British usage, I think), "physical activity", and a lot else. Picking a single definition is the problem. And with about half of them we get into the debate over how much physical activity/exertion is required. Some folks don't consider golf a sport because there's no running (does that also make hiking not a sport? or is it a sport if the trail's really steep?).

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
And with about half of them we get into the debate over how much physical activity/exertion is required. Some folks don't consider golf a sport because there's no running (does that also make hiking not a sport? or is it a sport if the trail's really steep?).
The reverse of that is you don't need physical activity, but competition. My definition for sport would be organized competition. So golf is a sport because you're competing (either with the few guys around you, or with everyone there), while hiking there is no 'winner' making it not a sport. With the definition being competition, fishing normally wouldn't be a sport, but if you're participating in a contest to get the most fish/get the biggest fish in a set time limit, that is a sport. Ideally, it would also have to be a continuous thing, otherwise it would just be classified as a game, or a contest, rather than a sport.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've seen sport defined as "physical competition", just "competition", "fun" (more common in British usage, I think), "physical activity", and a lot else. Picking a single definition is the problem. And with about half of them we get into the debate over how much physical activity/exertion is required. Some folks don't consider golf a sport because there's no running (does that also make hiking not a sport? or is it a sport if the trail's really steep?).
Agree. And nearly every person has a slightly different viewpoint here.
For me, the one constant is a sport cannot be sedentary. For example competition chess is Not a sport. Competitive? Absolutely. But a sport? No.
So while I do cringe at activities like golf, bowling, and curling being called a sport I grudgingly have to agree.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The reverse of that is you don't need physical activity, but competition. My definition for sport would be organized competition. So golf is a sport because you're competing (either with the few guys around you, or with everyone there), while hiking there is no 'winner' making it not a sport. With the definition being competition, fishing normally wouldn't be a sport, but if you're participating in a contest to get the most fish/get the biggest fish in a set time limit, that is a sport. Ideally, it would also have to be a continuous thing, otherwise it would just be classified as a game, or a contest, rather than a sport.
How do you qualify the 'competition' with one's self or say the terrain while hiking?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
How do you qualify the 'competition' with one's self or say the terrain while hiking?
To me, when it comes to sports, it's specifically competition against other actual beings. Since they can compete back.
If I'm hiking/climbing, I might consider it as a competition against the terrain, but the terrain certainly wouldn't. It's not going out of it's way to make it tougher to climb, it just is. And doesn't care what I think.
As for competition with one's self-that's an important thing in general, and builds character but it's not a sport itself since your not competing against another person/being.
Also: including being just cause I also consider things like horse racing a sport. Or even greyhound racing, where there's no jockey.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To me, when it comes to sports, it's specifically competition against other actual beings. Since they can compete back.
If I'm hiking/climbing, I might consider it as a competition against the terrain, but the terrain certainly wouldn't. It's not going out of it's way to make it tougher to climb, it just is. And doesn't care what I think.
As for competition with one's self-that's an important thing in general, and builds character but it's not a sport itself since your not competing against another person/being.
Also: including being just cause I also consider things like horse racing a sport. Or even greyhound racing, where there's no jockey.
The latter two are very good one's to consider. I would have to say sport or sporting goes beyond just humans.
I would also align them more with the competition against the terrain as far as the human element.

From Google:
sport
/spôrt/
See definitions in:
All
Sport
Biology
noun
  1. 1.
    an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
Taking the definition at face value I have to agree with your assertion. But then what do you call things like hiking?

OP
C

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score

So would auto racing be considered a "sport"? Your competing against other people but that person is in a automobile. Also someone above mentioned above not being sedentary as a requirement for being a sport so then setting in a car would seem to remove it from being a sport.

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
well i propose that drinking is a sport. I remember a drinking competition in a bar in Canada. was the yard of ale glass. i was as pished as a fart when i did it..

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So would auto racing be considered a "sport"? Your competing against other people but that person is in a automobile. Also someone above mentioned above not being sedentary as a requirement for being a sport so then setting in a car would seem to remove it from being a sport.
Personally yeah. People are always in something-if a fencer is in fencing gear, and using fencing equipment, it's still a sport. Same with rugby/football-what matters is if there's another person (or being I guess) controlling it.

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
For me that just falls under the realm of recreation. Not anything more specific, similar to camping.
maybe but there are timed events too in & out the military. Rucking or as we called it tabbing cross country with weight on your back. trust me you do sweat. so a bit of a grey area.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

It is a grey area as to how much physical activity goes on in motor sports. I assume the Dakar would be physical but a burnout comp at the summernats less so.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
maybe but there are timed events too in & out the military. Rucking or as we called it tabbing cross country with weight on your back. trust me you do sweat. so a bit of a grey area.

Yeah there is also those super enduro events

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It is a grey area as to how much physical activity goes on in motor sports. I assume the Dakar would be physical but a burnout comp at the summernats less so.
most of these Formula 1 drivers have to be in good shape none are fatty boys. Most do train but it´s more mental fitness too on the track. however they are under huge stress so physical fitness is a must.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was actually a question taken up by the courts in the US. They defined a sport as an activity primarily intended for competition.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In your opinion what defines a sport? Is fishing a sport? How about video game tournaments?
its a thorny, issue, some games cant get into the Olympic, like darts for instance, they cant have all those fat oldmen in the parad3, it does however require a fair amount of exertion, just as much as say shooting or archery, which are in, but then those are middle class sports, where as darts is very working class.

golf, in a golf cart is just about as sedentary as you can get, if thats sport then just about anything is, certainly fishing

if you walking round , then it much the same as hiking, only not anywhere near as far with more rests, i have every reason to believe chess is more physicaly taxing

motorsport takes considerable fitness, even at the low level i did it at, top level is as physicaly demandibg as anysport, except maybe heavy weight boxing and gymnastics.

what about killing things, is that a sport, BANG, that it done?

what about cycling? , thats spirts, but is it still a sport if i do it with no compitiction , im traing to do 300 miles, thats the competitor the,distance and the time

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Me and two of my friends built and raced a winged sprint dirt track car when were around 25 years old. I was the driver and I can tell you 50 laps on a 1/2 mile track is a real workout. While you are setting I would have a hard time calling it sedentary.

sed·en·tar·y
/ˈsednˌterē/

adjective

(of a person) tending to spend much time seated; somewhat inactive.

2. (of work or a way of life) characterized by much sitting and little physical exercise.

Each indicates inactivity. This is what I mean by saying something sedentary cannot be a sport.
I know, I know; "but you are setting down". To me, if you are doing something that requires physical exertion it has to fall under a different category. IMHO

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree. And nearly every person has a slightly different viewpoint here.
For me, the one constant is a sport cannot be sedentary. For example competition chess is Not a sport. Competitive? Absolutely. But a sport? No.
So while I do cringe at activities like golf, bowling, and curling being called a sport I grudgingly have to agree.
I'd say by your definition pro golf is a sport, but not most amateur golf, since most folks walk only the last few yards to their ball (indeed, many clubs don't allow players to NOT ride a cart). Sorry, just a personal rant. I much prefered golf when I could walk.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is where we get into the "exertion" question. My understanding is that racecar driving is pretty physically demanding. So, back into that morass of vagueness.

Latest Discussions