What can I do to cheer up??

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I train TKD tuessdays and thursdays nights from 8:30 pm to almost 10:00 pm, this class is not so heavy and I can do my warmpup very well without hurry and I can teach basics to newcomers.

The class before the one I atend is a nice one, but I must admit it is very physically demanding and I am not a young anymore.In the past I got hurt to try to keep the pace with the other youngsters, I almost tore a toe of my lefth foot and I had a tendon thing in the other foot.

How can I cheers up to try to keep and try to endure this hard training class? It's very difucult to me not to stay in a piece afther this calss.

Manny

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I always try to give my best effort and to push myself physically, but I am not young anymore either, and I cannot keep up with the kids. I'm not as flexible, not as fast, and have less endurance. I do not try to do what I am no longer equipped to do. I do what I can, push it to what I feel is my limit, and stop there.

When I leave the dojo, I feel endorphins kicking through my system, I generally feel on top of the world and ready to take on tigers. The next day, sometimes not so much, but that's what Motrin is for.

I get hurt too. Part of martial arts. I try not to injure myself, but when I do, I live with it.

Good luck finding your happy place. If martial arts didn't cheer me up just by doing them, I would not feel like doing them so much.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok thanx for the answers tonight is kenpo class but tomorrow I will try to come early to the dojang and try to stand the class and hope no need for an oxigen tank jejejejeje.

Manny

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
:angel:

I just saw a Nightline episode on California laws and cannabis. Apparently, you can get a cannabis prescription in California for just about any reason, including depression.

On a serious note, you simply need to adapt how you train. What is the point of trying to keep up physically with youngsters if you are unable to? There's a saying in martial arts that if you have trained for 30 years, did you really train for 30 years or did you repeat 1 year 30 times?

I am not as quick as I was in my early twenties, but I am far more smooth and efficient. Back then, I relied on my power and speed. These days, I'm experienced and I anticipate and read REAL WELL and I no longer need strength or force as much.

It's a losing proposition to train in the hard style path over time. Cultivate your sense of your own center and move from it and extend from it at all times. It's hard to explain in this medium, but this concept is the key to enduring martial art practice and growth.

Latest Discussions